Defenders of Ford hear me out please.

catsailor

"You never get a second chance to make a first impression"

Thousands of potential Ford customers will never consider Ford because the news is out that Ford lied about the gas mileage of the C-Max.  Period.  Those are lost sales that Ford will never win back.

There is nothing more valuable to a company than its reputation.  Ford should have considered this very seriously before deciding to "stretch the truth" about the gas mileage of the C-Max.

they made their first impression on me back in 1972, it has not changed so I still drive the brand, both personally and for work

Speaking of aerodynamic drag, dastardly lies & massive conspiracies……According to Fuelly:

2013 Fusion Hybrid    203 Cars, 40.3 Avg MPG, 3,468 Fuel-Ups, 1,282,374 Miles Tracked

2013 C-Max Hybrid   201 Cars, 40.4 Avg MPG, 3,477 Fuel-Ups, 1,412,381 Miles Tracked

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/fusion/hybrid%20l4

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/c-max/hybrid%20l4

Yes, the wee little C-Max has nosed ahead of the Fusion Hybrid for a day or ?  Hey, someone throw a parachute on that dang thing and slow it down.  Oh that’s right, it is jus the ‘jus effect’. I would argue that both could be substantially higher if drivers drove them with greater attention to fuel efficiency.  Many, if not most, of these 404 cars are just being driven like non-hybrids – and that is fine, just not optimal.

BTW FuelEconomy.gov has it at 39.9 Fusion, 39.2 C-Max – all numbers very unscientific and not ‘reliable’. 

All of the above does seem to indicate, however, that Ford may have had cause (just a pinch?) to assign the same EPA numbers.  That is not to say it was a good decision, or even ‘right’.  Factually, it was ‘by the book’, but sadly the cheap & potentially deceptive way to go. Accounting departments do have sway one day to the next – just one theory out of many.

Anyway, maybe we need to expand the conspiracy theory to include the Fusion – not!

Nevertheless, I say we have held court and found them ‘guilty’ (we could not have it any other way, you know – we must judge, sentence, and pummel the offender)

:judge:

The aforementioned offenders are hereby sentenced to no less than ten (10) 3 minute tickling sessions administered by no fewer than fifteen (15) 2 to 4 year olds, during or immediately after a no-wash peanut butter & jelly sandwich lunch (open face).  The aforementioned offenders will be provided with fully pressed brilliant white shirts or blouses in advance of said torture attitude adjustment session, and shall not be allowed to change-out said garments for the remainder of the work day.  Fully trained 2 to 4 year old ticklers and their handlers shall be selected for their tickling prowess, determination, endurance and sloppy eating habits.

And if that does not work, it will be powder blue polyester suits and shag carpet shoes for thirty days! Throw the ‘book’, I mean polyester suits at them!

Oh, the inhumanity of it all!  I’m trading in my C-Max at 40 MPG for an Escape at 28 23 (Eeek) MPG, I’m so peeved!

Sorry for the long dissertations, time for me to sit down and shut up,

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

Speaking of aerodynamic drag, dastardly lies & massive conspiracies……According to Fuelly:

2013 Fusion Hybrid    203 Cars, 40.3 Avg MPG, 3,468 Fuel-Ups, 1,282,374 Miles Tracked

2013 C-Max Hybrid   201 Cars, 40.4 Avg MPG, 3,477 Fuel-Ups, 1,412,381 Miles Tracked

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/fusion/hybrid%20l4

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/c-max/hybrid%20l4

Interesting...

Some of that might be because Fuelly is breaking out the Fusion Hybrid & Fusion Energi as separate vehicles now instead of them being lumped under the Fusion and having to filter by engine type. Since this change was instituted a number of FFH Forum users have switched their cars to show up correctly as a Fusion Hybrid.

The 2013 Fusion Hybrid as a separate vehicle shows 41.3 Avg MPG

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/fusion%20hybrid

I'd guess that if you combined the 41.3 with the 40.3 you'd end up around 40.5 for the FFH.

One caveat of Fuelly is how some users report only a few fillups and then stop. Many cars on there seem to include only the first few fillups when owners were complaining about their MPG while going through break-in and learning the car. Many Fuelly members seem to then stop posting their tanks after a little bit which invalidates the data.

This

Plus, it has and had the potential to get 47/47+ while staying under 62 mph or whatever the damned EPA tests at.

My mileage for the last two days combined is 60.5mpg. Heck, I have averaged over 700 miles per tank for the last 22 (yes, you heard me correctly 22) fillups!

Oh, my bad Ford LIED and this car is a freaking pig and will NOT get the rated 47mpg.

I completely agree. I cannot seem to get 47mpg. I get FAR HIGHER!

Of course, I still took the $550.   :)

Matt

I got 57.7 MPG on my ride home from work today and 58+ earlier in the week!  This car is totally geared toward a commuter.  It absolutely excels in congested freeway traffic.  I'm averaging 47.8 MPG my last 1,500 miles.  

I don't know, my personal opinion is my CMax is 47/47/47 right now. It does take some discipline when driving yet I am not compromising my speed on the highway. The car has taught me how to drive efficiently and is second nature now.

I've had the car for a year this October and am very happy with it.  I also have a Honda CR-V but prefer driving the CMax.

The big difference for me in comparison to the Toyota is the style and comfort.  I have two daughters and when my wife and kids take trips the drive is very comfortable for everyone.  It has a small SUV feel - your up much higher than the Prius, the headroom is fantastic, and the visibility is great.  I think the car styling is much better than any of the Prius line.

I do think it will take a big hit when it gets cold here in Minnesota.  I am hoping that I can maintain an average above 40 over the winter.  Really curious how the upgrade will impact the cold weather mileage.  In the deep freeze last year I was only getting 33-34 MPG.  I understand how to drive it much better now and am expecting better results.

My mileage for the last two days combined is 60.5mpg. Heck, I have averaged over 700 miles per tank for the last 22 (yes, you heard me correctly 22) fillups!

Oh, my bad Ford LIED and this car is a freaking pig and will NOT get the rated 47mpg.

I completely agree. I cannot seem to get 47mpg. I get FAR HIGHER!

Of course, I still took the $550.   :)

Matt

lol

nice!

once in a while i can get 50-60 mpg for a round trip, but rarely do i both have the patience and the need to go on a route that would support that.