Just bought the first Ford C-Max, SEL, in Albuquerque area from Rich Ford Edgewood, NM

bkawaii7

Hi, Everyone, Just bought the first Ford C-Max, SEL, Ice Storm, Charcoal, Sunroof, in Albuquerque area from Rich Ford Edgewood, NM. Our dealer gave us a great deal and I would recommend them to everyone.

We drove a Mercury Marnier Hybrid for 3 years and it was a great car, but the C-Max is much better, Ford has fixed all of the little quirks in the C-Max, larger and better seats, more cockpit room, seamless switching between engine and battery power, better mpg, more horsepower, great handling and ride. My wife and drive up to 200 miles a day through the mountains east of Albuquerque and we really give our cars a workout. The C-Max is proving it’s value averaging over 40 mpg, twice as good as our previous car.

Thanks to everyone’s comments in this forum, your input was very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Rack and Cargo container

This is the biggest cargo container that Yakima makes, fits just fine.

Heading out for a 3000 mile trip in the C-Max today, have been averaging 40mpg in the mountains of NM, I hope it does that good on the trip. Check engine light came on yesterday, had the dealer check it. Seems the fuel filler cap sensor detected a fault. No problems to fix this time. Will post again with the trip mpg.
Added Cargo container pictures, Have drove the C-Max for two days with the container, no wind noise or buffeting on the road, might have lost 1mpg due to more drag. Edited by bkawaii7

First leg done, Abq to Seattle, the c-max is a great car to take a trip in, Drives smooth and is easy to handle, We did 1500 miles in two days, no sweat. Now for the not so good, Had strong head winds the first day, lots of mountain roads, plus carrying a Yakima cargo box on the roof loaded with luggage, guessing 65 lbs, The MPG was 31.5, I was hoping for a little more than that but, that's the best it could do. Still have another 2000 miles to go on this trip, will keep posting, the next few days will be short local trips so the mpg should be better.

Later,

Edited by bkawaii7

First leg done, Abq to Seattle, the c-max is a great car to take a trip in, Drives smooth and is easy to handle, We did 1500 miles in two days, no sweat. Now for the not so good, Had strong head winds the first day, lots of mountain roads, plus carrying a Yakima cargo box on the roof loaded with luggage, guessing 65 lbs, The MPG was 31.5, I was hoping for a little more than that but, that's the best it could do. Still have another 2000 miles to go on this trip, will keep posting, the next few days will be short local trips so the mpg should be better.

Later,

Thanks for the update, how far did you manage on a tank?

To all

Well today was much better on the mpg, driving county roads 50 to 60 made 40.0mpg full EV on the downhills by staying under 60 really helped the mpg. Plus no wind to speak of so the cargo box was not generating a lot of drag. I would say Ford designed the car to do well in stop and go traffic and it does, driving on the interstate at 70 to 75 with a full load it not what the C-Max was desgined for. that being said, I am still happy with the car. It is comfortable to drive and and 30+mpg at 75mph is not bad, since my previous car only did about 14mpg.

The rack is all Yakima, I used the standard Q pylons Q128 clips and 58” wide bars. Don't remember the measurements, have to check that when I get back if anyone is interested. I had to set everything up and then fit and tweak several times before I got it to fit, if you look in the Yakima catalog they do not show any of their racks fitting the C-Max. Guess cause it is new. Do not do this if you do not know to fit the rack it will come off while driving if not done properly. The cargo box is just standard Yakima, I think I have the 21cuft size.

Was driving in lots of rain today on and off. The rain sensing windshield wipers are great don't know how I got along with out them before. If you get any options at all get the wipers.

On using the, Nav it works good once you figure it out, be sure to put the dest in before the waypoints, also the screen is really sensitive when setting the route start, you must only touch the icon, if you touch the screen anywhere else you have to start over.

Be careful with the touch door locks, if is hard to be sure the doors are locked by just touching the lock. A indicator of some sort would be good, if you use the key fob it works ok, but it is nice to just touch the door handle to lock and unlock the car.

On how many miles to a tank of gas, we just stop whenever and fill up I don't keep track, I'm only using the dash readout for mpg. I do know it will go a lot farther than I can.

Edited by bkawaii7

Thanks for the excellent report--all very helpful information. I wonder with the touch door locks if it is the same as with my husband's Lexus? He touches twice on the front door handle to lock it and then can check that it's locked by touching the passenger door handle. I find his SUV confusing as I would touch lock it, and then try to test it by touching the front door handle and of course would unlock it immediately when I touched it again. I always wound up using the key fob anyway as I was a doubting debbie. I guess you aren't likely to Seattle yet? We're in Vancouver, B.C. and it is very rainy so we wish we were in New Mexico <g>.

Thanks for the excellent report--all very helpful information. I wonder with the touch door locks if it is the same as with my husband's Lexus? He touches twice on the front door handle to lock it and then can check that it's locked by touching the passenger door handle. I find his SUV confusing as I would touch lock it, and then try to test it by touching the front door handle and of course would unlock it immediately when I touched it again. I always wound up using the key fob anyway as I was a doubting debbie. I guess you aren't likely to Seattle yet? We're in Vancouver, B.C. and it is very rainy so we wish we were in New Mexico <g>.

The only way I have found to verify the door locks by touch is to look at the outside rear view mirror signal light when I lock. The light will blink to confirm a successful lock.

Edited by darrelld

Still driving, Left Seattle sunday night, stayed in Spokane, mpg still around 31 on the freeway, lots of local trips here the last 2 days, mpg up to 36. the c-max handles great on the country roads we are driving, some of them are very rough, but the ride is smooth, I was suprised for such a small car, it rides well. No other problems with the car, Lots of rain the last 2 days, but no leaks from the rack mounts, the doors have 2 seals to keep any water out.

One of the best features of this car is the low noise level while driving, my previous car was a Inifiniti QX56 which was very quiet and the C-Max is just as quiet, the low noise level really reduces the driving fatigue on long trips. We will be somewhere arould 3500miles on this trip giving the car a real workout, I have to say it was a good buy, a little pricey but still a good car for the money.

• 6 months later...

Doesnt the CMax chirp a sound when you lock the car with the button on the outside of the handle?

My 2012 Passat SEL has the same kind of locks. You grip/pull the handle to open the door (with fob in pocket) and you touch the little area to lock them.

or does it only chirp if you use the fob?

Be careful with the touch door locks, if is hard to be sure the doors are locked by just touching the lock. A indicator of some sort would be good, if you use the key fob it works ok, but it is nice to just touch the door handle to lock and unlock the car.

Edited by salsaguy

Nope.  You can hear it lock, and the lights on the mirrors blink, but no chirp or honk.  If it's bright outside, and you have traffic noise, it's difficult to hear/see that it has locked.  If you lock with the fob, double clicking the lock button, it will honk.

Hmm that kinda sucks (no chirp/honk), So you have to be looking at the drivers mirror lights and not the drivers window when locking it?

Does it auto lock if you leave it open for a while and just walk away as a security feature?

Nope.  You can hear it lock, and the lights on the mirrors blink, but no chirp or honk.  If it's bright outside, and you have traffic noise, it's difficult to hear/see that it has locked.  If you lock with the fob, double clicking the lock button, it will honk.

Edited by salsaguy

There is a pretty audible clunk when the doors lock.  The turn signal indicator on the drivers exterior mirror will flash.  If you are still not convinced try to open the drivers side rear door.  It should be locked and will not open.

There is a pretty audible clunk when the doors lock.  The turn signal indicator on the drivers exterior mirror will flash.  If you are still not convinced try to open the drivers side rear door.  It should be locked and will not open.

My back doors will unlock just like the front doors.

Hmm that kinda sucks (no chirp/honk), So you have to be looking at the drivers mirror lights and not the drivers window when locking it?

Does it auto lock if you leave it open for a while and just walk away as a security feature?

The C-Max does not work nearly as well as our Passats on door lock notifications or functionality.

For example in our Passat's, you park the vehicle, get out, touch the door handle, start walking toward your work, store or whatever. When the last person exits and all doors are closed your horn sounds confirming the doors have locked. Unlock your Passat and if you don't open one of the doors within about a minute or so it will automatically re-lock the doors. All of these features are programmable through the VW MDI display on the dash.

There is no autolock, audible notification, or any way to program any lock feature in the C-Max.

Edited by darrelld

, Had strong head winds the first day, lots of mountain roads, plus carrying a Yakima cargo box on the roof loaded with luggage, guessing 65 lbs, The MPG was 31.5, I was hoping for a little more than that but, that's the best it could do. 

Old thread but thought I'd post my findings from this weekend under similar conditions:  Interstate @75mph/eco-cruise into a strong, strong headwinds.  Low point of 29.9mpg but avg out at 31mpg for the interstate leg.  Overall tank avg of 37mpg was brought up due to the heavy traffic and stop/go in Houston during rush hour and about 50 miles of 65mph with tailwind on the last 1/4 of the tank.

Well today was much better on the mpg, driving county roads 50 to 60 made 40.0mpg full EV on the downhills by staying under 60 really helped the mpg. 

My return leg via two land highways had a slight tailwind (mainly crosswinds) @ 65mph/eco-cruise with a route through several small towns and netted 42.2mpg.  A/C use for about 1/2 of the leg.