Pedal To The Metal

Edsel

When I floor the gas to get around a vehicle or to merge into traffic it seems to want to keep accelerating when I let of the pedal.  I have to hit the brake to slow it down. It doesn't feel like most cars Ive driven where there is instant loss of power when letting off the gas.  I hope this makes sense.  Anyone else notice this?

With my last car, letting up on the accelerator provided a noticeable degree of immediate engine braking. It seems to me that the CMax maintains its speed much more - coasting instead of slowing to the degree I expect.

This is probably what I'm getting at.  More like maintaing the speed you got up to vs the engine braking you are talking about.  It's just kinda weird feeling.

More disconcerting is that I floor it and nothing at all happens for a moment, presumably while the computer figures out how to respond. I suppose in actual time it is no different from a regular automatic car that has to register the change, unlock the torque converter, downshift, and build up revs, but it feels like forever when that semi is bearing down. But then that lovely C-Max power comes on and zoom!

More disconcerting is that I floor it and nothing at all happens for a moment, presumably while the computer figures out how to respond. I suppose in actual time it is no different from a regular automatic car that has to register the change, unlock the torque converter, downshift, and build up revs, but it feels like forever when that semi is bearing down. But then that lovely C-Max power comes on and zoom!

Sounds like you should change your driving to match the car. After all, it is a hybrid :spend: