to upgrade or not?

Jmonty

so my dealer sent me a letter claiming i can get an upgrade on my current vehicle, guaranteed, while keeping my payment the same or lowering it, with no money down.  

this sounds too good to be true!  what's the catch you think?

my current car is a base SE with the panoramic roof and the white platinum paint, which were the only options i wanted, and i have about 12,000 miles on her already.  my only  regret is the sound system, but any SEL i got i'd want a panoramic roof as well.  

so my dealer sent me a letter claiming i can get an upgrade on my current vehicle, guaranteed, while keeping my payment the same or lowering it, with no money down.  

this sounds too good to be true!  what's the catch you think?

If it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is.  They can simply lengthen the term of the loan on a higher priced vehicle to keep the payment the same or even lower.    How can you tell when a dealer isn't telling the truth?  Their mouth moves.  

The point is to get you back in the showroom to "work you".  

If it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is.  They can simply lengthen the term of the loan on a higher priced vehicle to keep the payment the same or even lower.    How can you tell when a dealer isn't telling the truth?  Their mouth moves.  

The point is to get you back in the showroom to "work you".  

lol ya good point.  

my battery has died once that i couldn't figure out why, but it seems fine.  i've had her since about june.  

an energi is tempting with the tax rebates.  supposedly colorado gives a good rebate as well.  

an energi is tempting with the tax rebates.  supposedly colorado gives a good rebate as well.  

Yes, they are very tempting right now.  Your extra state rebate may be enough to make up for the loss on an early trade in.   Is the energi EV range a good match for your driving needs?   Can you charge during the day?  I had a volt and miss pure EV driving.

They can advertise that because they just stretch out the term of your loan. It's basically deceptive advertising.

That being said, it might be worth having the discussion if you're really interested in the Energi. Colorado has some of the best state rebates on top of the Federal tax credit. Just be sure to review your personal financial situation to understand how much of the federal credit you would get. If your tax burden for the year is less than the credit after all other deductions then you only can lower your tax burden to $0. You can't have negative taxes for that year.

Do it only if you can afford it and it doesn't make you feel sick to your stomach thinking of having to make payments for a longer period of time.  When I was young, I thought nothing of switching to snazzier cars and running up my tab LOL.  Now I spend what I have in hand or what I can pay for completely at the end of the month and I sleep better.

They can advertise that because they just stretch out the term of your loan. It's basically deceptive advertising.

That being said, it might be worth having the discussion if you're really interested in the Energi. Colorado has some of the best state rebates on top of the Federal tax credit. Just be sure to review your personal financial situation to understand how much of the federal credit you would get. If your tax burden for the year is less than the credit after all other deductions then you only can lower your tax burden to $0. You can't have negative taxes for that year.

aah i see.  i don't think i have many deductions as of now.

Do it only if you can afford it and it doesn't make you feel sick to your stomach thinking of having to make payments for a longer period of time.  When I was young, I thought nothing of switching to snazzier cars and running up my tab LOL.  Now I spend what I have in hand or what I can pay for completely at the end of the month and I sleep better.

ya, i probably shouldn't do it.  a slight increase in monthly payment would be fine but i just hate giving dealers any kind of extra fees.  

plus, i'm already looking forward to the 2015 mustang after my next promotion (turbo four-cylinder! w00t!)

Edited by Jmonty