High hopes for the C-Max and the Extended Warranty as a hedge.

aschofer

I'm impressed by the C-Max, and hope it's a high quality, reliable product so the good word spreads for Ford. I have a Prius, test drove the CMax, had my wife test drive it, and placed an order. My father, an engineer, always cautioned me about purchasing the first model year of a new auto giving the company time to work out the bugs. I'm "concerned" since it's the first model year and a highly sophisticated piece of engineering, and considering the purchase of an Extended Warranty (125,000, 7 Year Plan) as a hedge in case a problem arises past the standard warranty.

The only two negatives; no spare tire (I hope I never get a flat) and the rear seat that for me, is spartan with respect to comfort.

Congrats on your order.

Just curious if it will replace or be an addition to the Prius, as IMO, it's very different in terms of handling, EV mode, etc.

As to your concern, I can't speak for the hybrid system but the body-style itself has been available in Europe with various gas and diesel engines since 2010.

Extended warranties do give peace of mind on the surface but many sites advise against them due to high cost, per visit deductible costs and that in most cases it's just a way for the dealer to make easy money. There's a lot to read on-line, so good luck with whatever you decide.

The Prius will stay in the family. I purchased an extended warranty (125,000 miles or 7 Years) for the Prius prior to the orignal warranty expiring. I have approximately 82,000 miles on it now and used the extended warranty only once to fix the lock on the rear hatch. So far Toyota has made out better than I have, but there's still 2 years to go.

Most likely I will purchase an extended warranty for the C-Max for peace of mind, assuming the price isn't rediculous.

12 Years ago my wife and I were buying a new car and we looked closely at the 2000 Honda Insight. I talked myself out of it saying, "Its the first generation of a new technology, it will probably be extremely buggy." Stupid me. The Honda Insight has been extremely reliable and there have been only 200 battery failures to date, all well after their warranty expired. 200 battery failures against 17,020 first generation units sold.... Thats impressive.

Because I have regretted that uninformed decision I did a bit more research this time around and went ahead and took the leap of faith.... hedged with an extended warranty and service plan. Oh, and the first time they mention the extended warranty turn it down. Its amazing how much the price drops when they start applying the pressure during contract signing.

Edited by Dorian

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Honda Insight. Are you comfortable stating the price you paid for the extended warranty on the C-Max, and the plan you selected (# years etc.)?

Sure, I don't mind stating the price I paid. Keep in mind I am in Silicon Valley where the cost of living rivals Manhattan. I got the Premium Care for 7 Years for 1625 with $100 deductable. I could have done better, but I paid a lot more for the Premium Care on my Escape the day before so I didn't press too hard.

Thanks for the price point. I recall in 2007 when I purchased the Prius the Toyota Dealer offering the 7 year, 125,000 Mile $0 Deductible Extended Warranty for around $1,800. I declined, shopped through the internet, found a Toyota Dealer in the Mid West and purchased it for approximately $1,100.

If it helps with perspective I paid $1280 for the top level Premium Care warranty at 6 year / 100k with a $100 deductible. He showed me the pricing book and said they would sell me the warranty for $200 over cost.

Don't waste money on the maintenance plans. Also like Dorian said wait until your with the Finance guy. I said no two or three times before he offered the $200 over cost.

I just spoke with the Finance Mgr at the Ford Dealer. The opening price for a 7 year, 125,000 miles, $100 deductible Exenteded Warranty is............$2,825. Wow. That's a lot of money. Politely I declined and said I would wait a year or two and find a Ford Dealer that offers me the best price on the extended warranty. He said he would check with his manager and give me his best price on Monday, two days from now. Stay tuned........

I have a 2010 Fusion Hybrid which I bought 6/2/2009. It has been trouble free since one problem at 10000 miles when the HV battery had a problem. Ford replaced in and all is well as I now have over 50000 miles on it long term mileage is now on 44.6. I bought an extended warranty here http://andersonandkoch-ford-warranty.com/forms/form3_2010.php for $1020 (6 years $100 deductible) I just checked the same warranty for a C-Max is $1045. I am thinking about trading for a C-Max as there are two dealers close by that have one in stock like I would want. Don't know if I will buy another warranty for it not.

cgul

I have a 2010 Fusion Hybrid which I bought 6/2/2009. It has been trouble free since one problem at 10000 miles when the HV battery had a problem. Ford replaced in and all is well as I now have over 50000 miles on it long term mileage is now on 44.6. I bought an extended warranty here http://andersonandko.../form3_2010.php for $1020 (6 years $100 deductible) I just checked the same warranty for a C-Max is $1045. I am thinking about trading for a C-Max as there are two dealers close by that have one in stock like I would want. Don't know if I will buy another warranty for it not.

cgul

Aren't the hybrid components (including the battery) included in the factory warranty?

"The following hybrid parts are covered during this extended coverage

period: high-voltage battery, hybrid continuously variable transmission,

Inverter System Controller (ISC), DC/DC converter, high-voltage

battery connector, battery pack fan assembly, thermistor probe, Hybrid

Battery Pack Sensor Module (HBPSM), Battery Energy Control Module

(BECM), and the PHEV onboard charger."

http://www.ford.com/...ridWarranty.pdf

Here is what I'm thinking. You get the 7 year premium care warranty.

Assuming the hybrid components are at greater risk of breaking, you will have double coverage of the hybrid components (the extended and the new car factory warranties). The new car warranty covers up to 8 years on hybrid components, and the premium would only cover 7.

As for the non-hybrid components, if you get the 7 year warranty then you are really only purchasing 4 years of bumper to bumper coverage. Because the new car warranty covers the first 3.

So unless I'm missing something, the question is, is it worth the price for four years of warranty coverage of components that have a lower risk of breaking than other components on the car.

Yes, I know the hybrid parts have a long warranty. But if one of the high tech electronic parts fail (which is unlikely, I know) it will cover the cost of the warranty. I have not had to use my extended warranty and hope I never but I know any repair will only cost $100. I doubt I will buy an extended warranty on my next new car but do not regret buying this one.

I was quoted over $1600 for the premium with 7/100k and a $100 deductible, and that was supposed to be the "deal" price. I felt they should have given me a better deal on the warranty due to a cosmetic problem which they did try to resolve (mostly), but it still cost me 3 days use of the vehicle. The dealer told me that their price was $100 over cost, but I can get it online cheaper ($1155 at http://andersonandkoch-ford-warranty.com).

Needless to say I'm pretty steamed right now since I doubt they pay more than what I can get it online for.

I just spoke with the Finance Mgr at the Ford Dealer. The opening price for a 7 year, 125,000 miles, $100 deductible Exenteded Warranty is............$2,825. Wow. That's a lot of money. Politely I declined and said I would wait a year or two and find a Ford Dealer that offers me the best price on the extended warranty. He said he would check with his manager and give me his best price on Monday, two days from now. Stay tuned........

Well, I drove away from the dealer in my new C-Max without purchasing the Extended Warranty since $2,825 is a little too rich for my blood. The link above provides some attractive prices. Will chew on them. Heard at the dealer in NY that you pay a "surcharge" if you purchase the Extended Warranty after one year.

Thanks for the price point. I recall in 2007 when I purchased the Prius the Toyota Dealer offering the 7 year, 125,000 Mile $0 Deductible Extended Warranty for around $1,800. I declined, shopped through the internet, found a Toyota Dealer in the Mid West and purchased it for approximately $1,100.

I never knew you could shop online for warranties. This is a great resource thread. Thanks guys!

I would certainly do a google search for the Online Ford Warranties. A quick check of one was $1280 for 100,000/6 year/$100. It should only get better from there if you shop several sites. Make absolutely sure that you get the OEM Ford Warranty (not aftermarket). You shouldn't have a problem with it working at any dealer around the US.

A lot of people haggle with the dealer for hours over a couple of hundred $ and then needlessly give back $1000 or more when the finance guy upsells the warranty.

If you sell the car before the extended warranty is up, make sure that you get the balance of it refunded. It is prorated from day-one, so you may not get as much as you would like, but the balance is refundable. YMMV.

I believe that you should be able to buy it anytime before the basic 36/36,000 ends. I'm thinking that there was a checkbox on one site to ask if it was past 12/12,000. The price might go up a bit at that point. In any case, your warranty begins when on the date that you bought your car. You can't put 20,000 miles on it over 2 years and then get 120,000 miles and 9 years off of a 100,000 mile, 7 year warranty. Others feel free to correct me... YMMV

The only extended warranty I purchased from the selling dealer was when he areed to match my internet offer. The last dealership refused to meet it so I didn't purchase it from him - the business manager didn't like it. I believe this is one of the things that the business managers are held accountable for in their jb performance so ask them to meet the internet price.

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased a warranty from a Ford dealer in Conn,   $900 cheaper than my dealer where I bought the car, Here in Maine the State requires a 10 year warranty on the battery, where as Ford provides 8 years,  my dealer did not know until I told him.

Check on your States implied warranties.

Edited by Arthur

I did not purchase the warranty, but when I was asked about it again after the sale, my dealer finance guy pretty much had nothing to say when I asked him if they would match the online price.  The difference was around $500. 

So far this place is the cheapest I have found online for the Ford ESP warranty:

http://andersonandkoch-ford-warranty.com

• 1 month later...

I bought my C Max SEL six weeks ago, have about 1400 miles on it and averaging 39.6 mpg, combined. I kept saying no to the warranty sales pitch until they got down to $950 for the 7 year premium, 75 K miles with 100 deductible! Keep saying no until they get under a grand!

Edited by Generalbeluga

So far this place is the cheapest I have found online for the Ford ESP warranty:

http://andersonandkoch-ford-warranty.com

I brought a printout of that site's price chart with me when I bought the car, with the plan I wanted circled, and pointed out that you can buy a Ford extended warranty from any dealership.

They matched the price, which was as I recall almost a thousand less than their initial price.