"Easter Egg", Bug Or Feature?

SnowStorm

Has anyone seen the instrument lights get brighter and dimmer as you drive - all on their own?  Or am I just ignorant about something?

We've been riding for several hours (SE model), parking lights on, instrument lights fully dimmed (usual position) and I decide to switch the left screen to Fuel History.  Fine.  After several minutes I look down and see the car switch to EV and the instrument lights suddenly get brighter!  A few minutes later they go dim again.  This happened several times.  I checked the dimmer setting and it was always at minimum.  I hadn't been on this screen for ages and had never seen this happen before - on other screens.  Was this some programmers "easter egg" to highlight going into EV?  Only on this screen?  But no, at other times EV came on with no change in dimming.  I tried other screens and came back to Fuel History.  It happened again.  I never saw it happen on another screen (coincidence?).  The change looked the same as when you turn the car lights on and off (which I wasn't doing).

"Trivia post of the day" perhaps, but can anyone explain this behavior?  (My wife saw it too, so I'm not calling the eye doctor!)

I notice it most on my morning commute and I usually think "oh it's the auto lights turning off" but they are still on.  I "see" this out of the corner of my eye and have always chalked it up to a screen refresh.  Glad to know I'm not the only one  seeing things!   :lol:

Edited by fotomoto

Maxus will do this but it is because I'm driving through a darken place and the lights go up and as I come back out into full light they go down.  ...

Mine only does it because I keep the headlights set to auto... the dash dims when a deep shadow hits the sensor at the foot of the windshield.

But the OP says his parking lights (second detent from the left) are on at the time... I wonder if it the sensor still does the internal dimming? Try the DRL trick - put a hat over the sensor, so it's always dark - and see if the dash still flashes. I have seen my turn signals flash when I hit a bump, so anything possible...

Have fun,

Frank

I thought it was just ours.

I first noticed it after our NAV and USB port died so thought it was repair related.

I’ve been taking mental notes when it happens. We have the auto headlights and it’s always on.

Only happens at sun up/down

Headlights do not go off

Green headlight indicator stays on

Eventually the sun completely sets or comes up and the bright/dim/bright/dim stops.

Has anyone else noticed the instrument dimmer on the left side of the steering wheel does absolutely nothing?  I turn it all the way down to all the way up and no change.  Maybe I'm missing something?

Edsel

Do you see this when you push one of the buttons? Do the # of bars increase or decrease?

The display should get noticeably brighter/dimmer.

post-554-0-60334000-1396306348_thumb.jpg

Well folks, its a "feature" - and I didn't even know The Enterprise had an ambient light sensor.  With all your comments in mind I grabbed a bright LED flashlight and headed out to experiment.  Sure enough, there is the sensor in the middle of the dash.  I jump in, switch on the lights (park or headlamps - doesn't matter), shine flashlight on sensor, dash lights get brighter, take flashlight away, lights go dim again.  But then, what's this?  I notice that the left edge of the Old Dominion inspection sticker is almost directly over the sensor!  So, I can imagine driving along with sun on the sensor, turn a few degrees, no sun on sensor!  I guess all the rest was just coincidence.  Now, inspection is about due so I'll have them put sticker a bit further to the right.

So don't blame Ford - blame the gov'nor!

Edited by SnowStorm

Driving at dawn this morning in completely overcast skies thus no shadows or light/dark transitions, I "saw" one flash out of my peripheral vision.  So I'm not sure this is strictly a light-hitting-a-sensor issue.   I'm now leaning toward the possibility of a glitchy refresh on the MFT screen.  I don't recall the main gauges/screens doing this.

• 2 weeks later...

Sticker strikes again!  Driving east in the evening (sun behind me) and dash lights suddenly get bright.  Not to be fooled this time I glance at that inspection sticker and see it lit by the sun coming in the back windows.  Sun goes away, lights go dim again.  Happened several times.  Its time for that inspection !

Has anyone else noticed the instrument dimmer on the left side of the steering wheel does absolutely nothing?  I turn it all the way down to all the way up and no change.  Maybe I'm missing something?

I believe that that is a maximum-minimum setting. The brightest will always be brightest in full sun. But the dimmest, when the sun is gone, will be determined by that setting. To see your setting effect while setting it you will need to either cover the sensor or do it at night.

Edited by Smangerer