Potential new owner...anyone with long commute?

Jason Triolo

I started a new job earlier this year, about two hours away from home. I've made the decision to commute, rather than to relocate.

For those familiar with the area, I'm traveling from a northern suburb of Tampa, to the Orlando area. The majority of my driving is interstate highway or other expressway (not Interstate 4...I'd never get there!), and is between 95-110 miles each way, depending on the route I select.

My current car is a 2012 Ford Escape (last model year of the old body type). I purchased it new almost two years ago. My driving style, combined with road/traffic conditions, results in a fuel economy of about 25-26MPG. That's what the sticker advertised, and that's what I get.

It's better than I expected, but I'm looking for something more economical. That's where The C-Max might come in.

I test drove one today, having never driven a hybrid before, and was surprised with its performance. I had expected something that felt and handled differently than a conventional vehicle, but to my surprise, the driving experience was comparable to other vehicles of a similar size.

If I choose to go the hybrid route, the C-Max would be my choice over the Fusion, or any of the import models. Since I prefer to transport my bicycle inside the car, rather than on a rear-mounted rack, this is the only one that has enough storage space. It seems to be closest to the capacity (in cubic feet) of the current Escape body design.

Yes, after all of that, there is a question. :)

Is there anyone else in this forum who drives a C-Max on a long daily commute? Has anyone switched from conventional to hybrid for this purpose, and if so, do you notice a cost savings? I realize that, since over 90% of my drive is at speeds of 65-75mph, that I might not fully see the benefits that a hybrid can provide. Still, is there enough of a benefit to consider trading in the Escape?

Thanks for the advice.

A diesel might be the best option for long commuters. yes the diesel gas costs a lot more so you need to factor that all in

what mpgs do you get now and what is your current car?

the cmax hybrid is best for short and medium length commutes around town adn some lower mph highways under 68 mpg

the cmax shines in the city not the highway

have you looked at the Jetta TDI or the Jetter hybrid?

i know its different

the Fusion will be better for higher mgs compared to the cmax as it will get less wind restistance with the lower height and lower cg (coeficient of drag) values

Diesel excel at higher, constant speed travel but do your due diligence before purchase (like you're doing now) to see if they are right for you.

Hybrids shine at lower speeds and stop/go of urban driving.

If you're going to sell or trade in the Escape, do you have enough equity for this to make sense (cents)?

Conventional wisdom would say go diesel for high speed highway travel, which - since you want to carry a bike - makes me want to suggest a VW Jetta TDI wagon. Especially since I love both VWs and diesels. But there are caveats. A base TDI automatic wagon is about $28k, vs about $25k for a base C-Max. Though both advertise similar hwy MPG, and the TDI might more reliably achieve it, 25% more oil input is needed to make a gallon of diesel than a gallon of gasoline, which the market in part reflects by pricing a gallon of diesel higher than a gallon of gasoline, so it's probably a wash financially and environmentally. If it matters to you, even the cleanest "clean" diesel isn't as clean at the tailpipe as a gasoline car, and presumably even more so vs a hybrid whose gasoline engine frequently cycles off entirely; but doesn't require the manufacture of a giant hybrid battery either, so perhaps in a sense it's a wash there too. Neither VW nor Ford has a proud reliability record, so again probably a wash. For the VW there are the minor matters of finding diesel fuel and replacing urea fluid, and the major matter of infrequent but costly service to maintain the TDI long-term. And I think you'll find it easier, though still not quite easy, to wedge your bike into a C-Max. On the other hand, the TDI offers a rich pre-decontenting-era VW interior, a body style less susceptible to crosswinds, probably a better-sounding optional top-of-the-line stereo if you want to pay for one, and almost certainly stronger resale value.

It probably comes down to which one you like better and which dealer gives the better deal. Both are wonderful cars.

if you like the higher seating position like in the CMax, and I would assume you would since your coming from an SUV (Escape) then there isnt much else other than the CMax to choose from that gets 38 to 49 mpg (depending on who and how you drive it of course) :)
 both have the european look and feel inside the cabin

VW always gives you top of the line high end stuff for not much money

but yes add on options on a VW and it gets a lot higher fast

top of the line CMax Hybrid version fully loaded with all options checked i think is a max of $35k if you get the glass roof and higher priced optional paint job

sadly the VW Hybrid has the same nasty huge hump/bump in the rear just like on the CMax Energi which takes up a lot of cargo space, so if you need cargo space the CMax Energi and VW Jetta Hybrid are out leaving you with the CMax Hybrid

Greetings and Welcome

What’s your priority list?

Here’s ours.

EASE of entry and exit:

DW has arthritis, cars have been OFF OUR list for years.

Carrying capacity:

We travel in the summer.

Performance:

Surprisingly the Cmax performs fairly well, could use a few more horses from both motors.

Comfort:

MPG:

In the winter, around town we easily get mid 40’s mpg.

In the summer on our 75 MPH trips we easily get mid 30’s mpg.

Good luck in your search and let us know.

Edited by wab

In our Fusion Hybrid we see about 38 MPG @ 75 MPH, 40 MPG @ 70 MPG & 45 MPG @ 65 MPH. The C-Max should be slightly lower due to higher drag. Your best bet for lowest overall cost (initial purchase & long-term operating costs) is likely either a diesel, a small car like a Fiesta or Corolla or a hybrid. Since you bring up the bicycles that means the small car is out so it's really C-Max or diesel. Some of the decision probably depends on how much city driving you'd do outside of your commute. And also what speed you'd travel on your commute.

I started a new job earlier this year, about two hours away from home. I've made the decision to commute, rather than to relocate.

For those familiar with the area, I'm traveling from a northern suburb of Tampa, to the Orlando area. The majority of my driving is interstate highway or other expressway (not Interstate 4...I'd never get there!), and is between 95-110 miles each way, depending on the route I select.

My current car is a 2012 Ford Escape (last model year of the old body type). I purchased it new almost two years ago. My driving style, combined with road/traffic conditions, results in a fuel economy of about 25-26MPG. That's what the sticker advertised, and that's what I get.

It's better than I expected, but I'm looking for something more economical. That's where The C-Max might come in.

I test drove one today, having never driven a hybrid before, and was surprised with its performance. I had expected something that felt and handled differently than a conventional vehicle, but to my surprise, the driving experience was comparable to other vehicles of a similar size.

If I choose to go the hybrid route, the C-Max would be my choice over the Fusion, or any of the import models. Since I prefer to transport my bicycle inside the car, rather than on a rear-mounted rack, this is the only one that has enough storage space. It seems to be closest to the capacity (in cubic feet) of the current Escape body design.

Yes, after all of that, there is a question. :)

Is there anyone else in this forum who drives a C-Max on a long daily commute? Has anyone switched from conventional to hybrid for this purpose, and if so, do you notice a cost savings? I realize that, since over 90% of my drive is at speeds of 65-75mph, that I might not fully see the benefits that a hybrid can provide. Still, is there enough of a benefit to consider trading in the Escape?

Thanks for the advice.

I have a Saris three bike rack on the back of my car that works well. You should be able to get at least 40mpg's on the HWY and better if congested. As you can see my life time on Fuelly is 45.1mpg with 80% HWY. I would recommend SEL over SE. IMO :)

Paul

Thanks to everyone for your feedback.

The small cars are definitely out (Fiesta, Focus, etc). They don't have enough cargo capacity for my needs. From what I've seen the C-Max will *just* work. I know even less about the care and feeding of a Diesel, but I'm not sure I've seen a Diesel model that catches my eye. I keep coming back to C-Max as the best candidate.

In the end, the financial benefits will be the deciding factor. I'm looking at the payment on my current car, plus the cost of fuel and maintenance. I then have to compare that to the (probably increased) car payment of a new vehicle, and the fuel/maintenance for it. If I can achieve a significant reduction in total cost by trading in, that's what I'll do.

On my current drive, I'm consuming about 8 gallons of fuel a day. Assuming 40mpg in the C-Max, my fuel consumption drops to about 5 gallons. Over a month, at current fuel prices, that's about a $210 savings. If I can get a car payment close to what I currently pay, it might be worth it.

Thanks again to all for your advice. You might be seeing more of me in the future.

We have had our Cmax since July 2013. Last year our lifetime average was 42.5. Over winter it went to 40.0. Very, very cold snowy winter here. It is now moving up at 40.5. Most of our driving is at 65-70 mph. We make at least one trip per month to Md from Pa. Very comfortable drive. We are very happy with our car.

Is the reduction in the winter due to the use of heat in your car, or does something in the hybrid system perform differently in cold weather? Being in Florida, that won't be an issue, but my need for continuous A/C at this time of year, will probably make a difference.

Edited by Jason Triolo

Here are the real stats: stick it in eco-cruise and let it ride, 38MPG to 43MP BUT keep your battery high, that is, don't be tempted to run EV at 70mph. It's all flat in Orlando-Tampa. I use to drive down Orlando to Sarasota for work many years ago and if I remember right, I think the CMax would do good. Get some Gas Pods, helps with the mileage and run the tires to 50 psi. I do a 285 mile trip with the CMax fully loaded with snow gear and climb from 800ft to 7,800 ft and I get 38MPGs there and around 55MPGs coming back. Avg between 45 to 47 MPGs for the 570 mile round trip so you should kill it on a totally FLAT terrain. Check out my review and Mammoth trips if you want stats.

I have to say, I REALLY LUV how utilitarian the CMax is. Not small like the regular Prius and it has GO when you want it. No more "acceleration by concensus" as my friend Nick aka C-Max Sea describes the Prii ;)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

The key will be that they COMPLETELY remove the bike rack when not in use otherwise the drag will eat up the mpgs fast.

Many folks just leave it on and wonder why their mpgs suck.

=========

Hybrid bear said:

Since you bring up the bicycles that means the smallcar is out so it's really C-Max or diesel. Some of the decision probably depends on how much city driving you'd do outside of your commute. And also what speed you'd travel on your commute. 

Edited by salsaguy

Remember to always negotiate the PRICE of the CAR,  NOT what you can afford to pay. That is a dealer scam to get you. read up on best car negotiation tips on the car buying/review sites if you haven't yet.

Once the cars total cost to you with all options checked that you want and taxes is determine then and only then do you determine the payment each month.

You can configure the car exactly how you want it and also determine payments right on many of the car review sites like Edmunds.

If you have AAA club membership or Costco use their car buying program.

Be sure to check out true car.com and edmunds.com for finding the actual expected price to pay which u try to get  to be just a little more than invoice price. The dealers make money don't feel sorry for them and give them more than u have to.

And go on there acting  like u have plenty of cash and DON'T have any financial issues. DON'T tell them u are struggling or else they eat u up like piranhas

Thanks to everyone for your feedback.

In the end, the financial benefits will be the deciding factor. I'm looking at the payment on my current car, plus the cost of fuel and maintenance. I then have to compare that to the (probably increased) car payment of a new vehicle, and the fuel/maintenance for it. If I can achieve a significant reduction in total cost by trading in, that's what I'll do.

On my current drive, I'm consuming about 8 gallons of fuel a day. Assuming 40mpg in the C-Max, my fuel consumption drops to about 5 gallons. Over a month, at current fuel prices, that's about a $210 savings. If I can get a car payment close to what I currently pay, it might be worth it.

Thanks again to all for your advice. You might be seeing more of me in the future.

Edited by salsaguy

The key will be that they COMPLETELY remove the bike rack when not in use otherwise the drag will eat up the mpgs fast.

=========

Hybrid bear said:

Since you bring up the bicycles that means the smallcar is out so it's really C-Max or diesel. Some of the decision probably depends on how much city driving you'd do outside of your commute. And also what speed you'd travel on your commute. 

I have my bike rack on most of the time, only take it off when I go on trips and not carrying the bikes. I don';t think the bike rack hurts MPG's much, but bikes do 2-3mpg maybe. :)

Paul

=========

Hybrid bear said:

The OP said that he wants to fit bikes inside the car.

The OP said that he wants to fit bikes inside the car.

It is a challenge to put bike inside CMAX without removing the wheels, I have put my Hybrid bike(LOL) inside of my CMAX. Road bikes are some what easier to remove the wheels. I would rather put my bike outside if I wasn't going alot of miles. IMO :)

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

It is a challenge to put bike inside CMAX without removing the wheels, I have put my Hybrid bike(LOL) inside of my CMAX. Road bikes are some what easier to remove the wheels. I would rather put my bike outside if I wasn't going alot of miles. IMO :)

Paul

I have no trouble laying two bikes down inside the Cmax with the front wheels off.  I ride a 56 cm bike, and there's plenty of room between the back of the front seats and the lift gate if I put the rear seats down.  I haven't tried yet, but I suspect it would be no problem to put the bike in the cargo area with the seats up if I did both wheels.  A smaller bike should even fit in upright if you don't mind pulling the seatpost.  Some friends of mine have the old Escape hybrid, and one rides a 56 but has a lower saddle than me-- he can fit his in that upright, but I have to drop the seatpost in the Escape.

As far as long commutes: I switched from a Saturn SW2 that was getting 28-30 mpg mixed to the Cmax and I have to put in gas a lot less-- sometimes I forget and it gets pretty low.  My commute is 35 miles, but it's in LA from the edge of the mountains above Pasadena through downtown and to the beach, so it's anywhere from 1 to 2 hours.  At one hour it's mostly pretty fast, at two hours it's a lot of stop and go.  The Cmax is pretty comfortable and as long as I don't get leadfoot, I can get pretty good mileage.

• 6 months later...

Very much enjoy/appreciate this thread -- it's hitting all the right buttons: interior bike storage, VW hybrid/TDI alternatives. My ever-shortening short list is: CMax SE, Jetta Sportwagen TDI, Golf TDI, Mazda 3 hatch. Gave the Jetta Hybrid a look, but it can't swallow a bike, so it doesn't make the cut.

Things that give me pause:

CMax - (minus) no spare, dead battery saga, driving experience (I like manuals); (plus) space, comfort, hybridity

TDIs - (minus) fuel expense, anxiety (real or imagined) over costly maintenance and rituals (fuel additives, etc.); (plus) driving experience, space/comfort

Mazda - (minus) not a hybrid, a bit on the small side; (plus) driving experience, great MPG (with the 2.0) without hybrid/diesel 

Use: 36-mile round-trip commute on suburbanish roads with a max speed of 40mph makes up most of my driving; errands on weekends; and occasional long highway trips to parents and college. Bike inside (part of my temperate weather commute plan) is a must.

Strongly leaning toward the CMax -- auto show next week, and then test drives will be the proof in the pudding.

David