Oil Monitor

jmckinley

The dealer did my first oil change at around 6K but forgot to reset the oil monitor so I got a notice at around 10K.

I did the second one myself at around 13K and, unlike the dealer's ace staff, reset the monitor.

Today, exactly 10K later at 23K, the change oil message appeared.  I thought the monitor was supposed to take into account driving style, miles EV, etc to determine when an oil change was due.  

Has anyone had a notice at anything other than exactly 10,000 miles?

Edited by jmckinley

The dealer did my first oil change at around 6K but forgot to reset the oil monitor so I got a notice at around 10K.

I did the second one myself at around 13K and, unlike the dealer's ace staff, reset the monitor.

Today, exactly 10K later at 23K, the change oil message appeared.  I thought the monitor was supposed to take into account driving style, miles EV, etc to determine when an oil change was due.  

Has anyone had a notice at anything other than exactly 10,000 miles?

Mine has been every 10K and I've done 6 oil changes at Dealer. :)

Paul

It's interesting to me to see the differences between Ford's two hybrids that share the same powertrain. The Fusion oil life sensor does respond to driving patterns. Some owners have had the alert come on as early as 8000 miles or as late as 12,000 miles. It's funny that Ford would not use the same system in both hybrids with the same powertrain. I guess they find ways to manage costs for different vehicles in different ways.

I got my notice to change oil after 1 year from purchase since I had less than 10k miles on it.

Not sure how that was programmed in, maybe the salesman did that at the dealership.

At 14 months and well under 10,000 miles; my notice has not yet appeared.  For me, 2 years will probably pass before 10,000 miles.

With the new syntheticoil life recommendations I see that 2 years would be ok.

I have an Energi and I hardly drive any ICE miles at all; so I suppose I will always be doing oil changes per the calendar, not per the odometer.

Not scientific, ...

That can be fixed... beforehand, of course!

I used Blackstone for analysis of my second change, the first 10K interval, with interesting results. Pay no attention to the "oil used" section as it was standard Ford 5W20 synthetic blend, not Mobil 1... and do request TBN if you use them; it was interesting.

Pushing 25K miles now, so another change is on the horizon, and a second data point will tell me more than the first did...

Have fun,
Frank

I used Blackstone for analysis of my second change, the first 10K interval, with interesting results. Pay no attention to the "oil used" section as it was standard Ford 5W20 synthetic blend, not Mobil 1... and do request TBN if you use them; it was interesting.

Pushing 25K miles now, so another change is on the horizon, and a second data point will tell me more than the first did...

Have fun,
Frank

Frank - I had a friend who lived in Pittsford - a nice section of Rochester to live in!

Have fun,
Frank

How much does it cost to do this? I vaguely remember reading it on their site but more my question is if there's any way to get a discount that you know of?

Total base number (TBN) is a measure of a lubricant's reserve alkalinity.

I linked to the wiki page; it's links came over with the quote. It's important as a measure of remaining oil life...

I imagine fleet owners might negotiate a discount; at 1-2 samples per year, I don't see any incentive on their side while I have a $25K investment whose longevity is important to me, and whose run mode is very different (runs cold alot, with many start/stop events).

Frank

• 2 months later...

Can I check what is % of oil life?? In Honda CRV I have this information. My 12V Battery was unplugged for 10 month (freight to Europe and other). In Poland I change the oil every 10.000km or one year. If there is no % of oil life I will change it before winter.

Only with a scan tool capable of reading the OLM data.