Navigation Questions

Greetings,

I'm new to this forum, having just purchased a C-Max hybrid this week, and have two questions related to operating the Nav System.  Any/all help would be appreciated.

(1) How can I use the address book to enter a destination in Nav mode? Seems there should be a direct way to set a destination from an address in the address book, but I can't figure it out.  Any suggestions?

(2) When the Nav system provides a numbered list of POI options the voice in the dashboard asks me to choose by number. Is there any way to get the voice to read the list so I don't have to divert eyes from the road?  Seems that's the whole purpose of voice, no?  Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks, but I've been to that link and it doesn't help. When I access an address from within my phone book and click the option button the only option is to delete the photo. There is no option to set the address to destination as described in the link.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Edited by IGregor Wrzbcki

Unfortunately, you can't set the address as the destination. For navigating to addresses, even of those in your phone book, I use my phone to look up the address, and then I use voice command to set the destination in NAV. I understand that this is a weak option, but it seems the best and quickest, given the circumstances.

Thanks, ScubaDad. I spoke to a Ford customer rep by phone this morning and learned that Ford had incorporated a link between phonebook and Nav in v3.6, but inadvertently broke it when they brought out v3.7. He told me their engineers are working to fix the problem. No estimate of how long this might take. Also learned that having the voice in the dash vocalize POIs was also in work. Hard to believe that these functions should be overlooked for so long.

Sure would have been better to learn that Ford had shifted software development from Microsoft to a company with knowledge of how to design user-friendly interfaces from the beginning.  Oh well.

I've come across another seemingly unusual feature of MFT that needs explanation. Seems there should be some way to name a destination directly in the destination function, but I cannot find it.  The destination list of addresses does little good if it's not easily associated with a destination name.  Who remembers that 53426 Maple Street, Sometown, USA is the address for Uncle Harry?  Also, seems there should be some way to save a destination to Favorites without having first to "go" to the destination, then change from destinations to favorites, and then save it as a favorite.    And even after naming favorite, the name does NOT appear on destination list.  What?  Sure seems to be a painfully kluged way to enter and keep track of information.  Am I missing something, or have I just stumbled upon another reason that so many are unhappy with MFT?  Thanks.

I've come across another seemingly unusual feature of MFT that needs explanation. Seems there should be some way to name a destination directly in the destination function, but I cannot find it.  The destination list of addresses does little good if it's not easily associated with a destination name.  Who remembers that 53426 Maple Street, Sometown, USA is the address for Uncle Harry?  Also, seems there should be some way to save a destination to Favorites without having first to "go" to the destination, then change from destinations to favorites, and then save it as a favorite.    And even after naming favorite, the name does NOT appear on destination list.  What?  Sure seems to be a painfully kluged way to enter and keep track of information.  Am I missing something, or have I just stumbled upon another reason that so many are unhappy with MFT?  Thanks.

My sister in law :headspin: only it's not Uncle Harry, it's Aunt Joan.

Drives me crazy.

Edited by wab

There are many common sense things for navigation that have long been resolved in the world of computers that are not included in Synch and MFT, or that are not yet done well. Other than having that big, beautiful screen with the turn by turn directions, your cell phone is likely (depends on what you have) best at integrating your contacts with navigation, at least currently.

The cause for why this is so has been reported in various posts as follows. One reported factor was that it takes car manufacturers a number of years to plan before the build, and they can't always know about the technology to come, so they have problems in being able to use the latest and greatest in current model vehicles. Another reported factor concerns the manufacturers' respective alliances with various companies, such as Microsoft. A third stated issue was the manufacturers' instance on trying to do everything in-house while there are better experts in the computer-related components in the field. Whatever the cause, there are some definite limitations of the system.

Given this situation, I find that Favorites are just good for things that you will remember by name. So, I only have ever bothered to save My Home. It is useful for setting My Home as the Destination from wherever you are located. Other than that, I don't play with this feature very much.

Previous Destinations are useful for when you are on the road in a place that you will be for a while but not very long, such as on a vacation. Yes, if you stay long enough, the list starts to grow long enough that you start forgetting which place is which. It isn't perfect, that's for sure.

For the present, here's what I've come to for a workable balance of convenience and features.

In most instances, before departing, I use my cell phone to look up either a contact or the address of my destination. I start up, and I use voice control to set my destination. 

Usually, if I need to go somewhere that I have not searched for in advance, that will typically be some kind of business establishment, not someone from my contact list. In that instance, I'll give NAV a try. I'll use voice command to search for POI By Category or By Name. If that fails, I'll resort to pulling over to search with my phone, and then I use Voice Command to set the address as the Destination.

It is very rare that I need to look up someone's address from my contact list after I am already on the road, so it has not been so bad waiting for that feature to come.  I am glad to hear that Ford is working on being able to look up the addresses of Contacts to set as the Destination. That will be great!

Ok, guys. When I bought my car the salesman set me up an account on Ford Sync.  On my android phone I have an app called Sync Destinations.  I login to the app using the username and password I got when I bought my car.  Among the choices on the main menu is "Route me to".  That menu gives you choices among which is Select from my phone contacts.  You choose the contact and the phone asks if you want to send to your car.  It then directs you the Services menu in the car and it will upload that contact's address to the car.  You can also manually enter the address and upload to car.  

Great suggestion, shinytop! 

SYNC Destinations works with your SYNC Services subscription, so be sure to setup your SYNC account at www.Support.Ford.com, IGregor Wrzbcki. Then when you send the address to your car, you'll press the VOICE button, say SERVICES, and then it will ask you if you want to download the directions. Let me know if you have any questions, and congrats on your new C-MAX! 

Rebecca

According to the Ford Sync AppLink guide (this is what is being used here) it saves the SYNC Destinations to your radio presets (?).  And it doesn't look as if it actually integrates with the Nav system per se, but rather allows you to navigate via your phone (so when you say "Route me to" it actually uses the phone itself to route you to that place, rather than the Navigation system).  I don't think this is what you have in mind but if so, it will do it.

Send to SYNC is more of what you want, I do believe, but it only works with Mapquest.  There is at least one iPhone app that allows you to send addresses from your phone to SYNC but it doesn't work with the address book but rather more of a maps feature (so it probably uses the Mapquest backend).

My own feeling is that you will need to wait until/unless Ford does this themselves.  ScubaDad has, I do believe, the best workflow right now.

Well, #@$%#!!  I tried the Ford Sync Destination android app without success.  Something about it not being compatible with my phone or service.  So, I followed the app's link to the Developer's Website to see if they might be of some assistance.  Connected me directly to my portal at Ford.com.  Ugh!  No help there.

So I tried another approach.  Maybe I could use my iPod Touch to send addresses to MFT with some app comparable to Ford Sync Destination.  Unfortunately, there are ZERO Ford apps at the Apple store.  Seems Ford might have taken the Microsoft mantra "Our Way or the Highway" so literally that customers are left without a user-friendly way to navigate a highway.

Edited by IGregor Wrzbcki

Which phone do you have? The app is compatible for most iPhones, Androids, iPads, and BlackBerrys. However, you can still use SYNC Services for turn-by-turn directions if you don't wish to use your navigation system. Here are some likns with more info: 

SYNC Destinations - http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/destinations-app-sync-myford-touch
SYNC Services - http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/sync-services-overview-sync-myford-touch

Rebecca

I have an LG G2 with Kit Kat and it works; my previous phone had Jellybean which also worked. Unfortunately, it's a different group that supports the app, but I suggest using the email option under DEVELOPER to see what's going on, IGregor. Please be sure to include your phone information and the exact error message you were getting. 

Rebecca

IGregor,

I don't think you're going to get what you want -- which is to be able to pick from addresses on your phone.  It looks like what both Rebecca and Shiny are saying is that you can send an address to SYNC and then use Services to set that as a destination.  That's a lot of steps for just one address.  Why wouldn't you just do what Scuba does and look up the address and say it into the NAV system?

What we want is for MFT to work as a unit, together.  It LOOKS like it should consolidate things.  After all, it shows you phone, navigation, climate and entertainment all there, together.  You can use voice commands to get to phone numbers that have addresses attached to them, but what you *can't* do is integrate all of that with the NAV system.  And that's what you want and that's something that really ought to be possible (indeed, it sounds like Ford really wants to do that, at some point in time.  My experience with devs though is that you shouldn't be holding your breath.  My hunch is that they will completely change the SYNC system before they ever get around to providing that kind of integration.  And by "completely change" I mean have it phone app based instead of the other way around, and certainly not in OUR cars).

IGregor, try it for a while. It's not so bad. You'll find that you will only rarely have to look up a contact's address while you are already on the road. Mostly, you'll be able to look up whatever address or location you wish before you leave your house, and then you can just use Voice Command before you hit the road. It's not perfect, but this will work until the patch gets done.

I don't think you're going to get what you want -- which is to be able to pick from addresses on your phone.  It looks like what both Rebecca and Shiny are saying is that you can send an address to SYNC and then use Services to set that as a destination.  That's a lot of steps for just one address.  Why wouldn't you just do what Scuba does and look up the address and say it into the NAV system?

What we want is for MFT to work as a unit, together.  It LOOKS like it should consolidate things.  After all, it shows you phone, navigation, climate and entertainment all there, together.  You can use voice commands to get to phone numbers that have addresses attached to them, but what you *can't* do is integrate all of that with the NAV system.  And that's what you want and that's something that really ought to be possible (indeed, it sounds like Ford really wants to do that, at some point in time.  My experience with devs though is that you shouldn't be holding your breath.  My hunch is that they will completely change the SYNC system before they ever get around to providing that kind of integration.  And by "completely change" I mean have it phone app based instead of the other way around, and certainly not in OUR cars).

Kelley, you're exactly right about not getting what I want.  I hope you're wrong that Ford won't get our systems right, though.  We paid for an integrated system that works together as a unit, not a first generation beta test-bed full of work-arounds.  And this surely isn't rocket science.  Other companies have been doing it better for sometime. If I had known how poorly this system was integrated I'd have opted for the standard radio and put a Garmin on the window/dash. Might do that, anyhow, if MFT continues to prove as painful as it is.  I've used Garmin for years, and find them to be light-years ahead in their understanding of how a driver actually navigates. Have also tested them in aircraft.  Should have known better.  Well, seems the ball's in Ford's court. They've got our money, now let's see if/when they deliver the goods.

I knew going in that the SYNC NAV wasn't going to be as good as my $150 Garmin.  In fact, for an hour (over lunch) my wife and I discussed whether or not just to get MFT without NAV and use a Garmin.

In the end I chose to have the screen in MFT and I don't regret the decision.  I actually really like MFT otherwise, and do appreciate how easy it is to use voice commands to look up an address.  But integration?  No, not at all and you're right that others do it better (one of the vehicles I borrowed -- and at this point I don't even remember which one -- did *exactly* what you are talking about with its in-dash system.  But otherwise it wasn't nearly as integrated and didn't have the voice commands).

My pessimism as to whether they will "fix" some of the MFT issues lies with the direction the industry is going.  It's kind of a no-brainer that car makers shouldn't be in the IT business (at least for anything other than the engine and driving aspects of a car).  Why shouldn't they leverage all the power of the apps of Smart phones/tablets/phablets that nearly everyone has?  So we're starting to see just that in the high-end vehicles, the ability for an onboard system to just control all the applications of such external devices (which are in and of themselves integrated devices -- if I look up a business in Google Maps I can call that business by just pressing the highlighted phone number, which then operates the phone).  But for Ford this is next gen -- they kind of committed themselves to MS and SYNC and it's going to take a major sea change to get to this complete integration and having the faith they will do this on their old systems (which might not have the CPU and/or OS available to it to handle it) is just beyond my experience.  I think in 5 years we'll look back and think that SYNC was a stopgap measure, and very quaint, the way we look at cell phones of the 90's (which were great to have at the time, but no one would want to go back to that technology).

I have not yet made a trip out of town using the navigation function of MFT.  It has worked fine in town but I knew where I was going.  I have used Google's Navigator for years and as a backup I have a mount in my car for my phone.  It has a 5.5 inch screen so should not lose much if I don't like the nav function of MFT.  Have not had much success with MFT understanding my voice commands.  Will have to try that more.

My first disappointment with MFT is that it is pressure sensitive rather than haptic feedback like phones and even my laptop are.