What do you think of Carmax?

BoomerGer

So about 2 years ago, I bought my Focus at Carmax.  Got a better than I thought trade in on my '07 Escape Hybrid (Better than what a new car dealer would have given me on a new Honda Fit).  Found my Focus, used the trade in dough for a down on the Focus, plus a few more bucks to make the down payment a little beefier.  Like the Focus, but the suspension is a little harsh going over RR tracks, speed bumps, and related rough street potholes, and there is wind noise as if there is a window slightly cracked open.  No problems.  But would one trust a C-Max from Carmax?  I think so, but I would get one with low mileage and the newest year available, then that would be better.  Plus the people I dealt with were very accomodating all thru the purchasing of the Focus, and there was no pushiness to do this or that.  I got a five year limit on my payments with low payments but I paid it off in 2 years.  So again, the question is, have any of you ever dealt with Carmax in buying ANYTHING, and, Would you buy a C-Max from Carmax? 

Ger

Why not check the prices at the dealers. Rebates are available. Maybe a NEW Energi can be had  near

the price of a used car after everything is calculated. Never bought used from any dealer or this type of sales lot.

I don't think they're any different than anywhere else. The deal in cars to make a profit.

I hated the car I bought with Carmax probably 6 or 7 years ago.

I also hated test driving cars there because they really do try to bully you into buying from them. They call their manager over and argue with me as to why I prefer not to buy a rental car (because people beat the shit out of them as long as you return the car without a scratch on the paint). He basically called me insane.

Oh and no haggle pricing is great if they actually have decent prices compared to what you can haggle dealerships down to.

Will never go there again.

Edited by banditb17

I've never bought through Carmax, so no commnet on that score. The only actual recommendation I can make is to get an SEL.

The one, on-going reliability issue is 12v battery going dead, and owners of SEL's rarely report a 12v battery issue. The thought is that the root cause is in the info-tainment system, which is upgraded in SELs. I'd want a look at the car's service history...

And when you get close to buying, check out it's etis report. Enter the VIN on the vehicle tab.

HAve fun,

Frank