Who is going to jump to the Escape Hybrid?

markd

Well yesterday was a sad day, I traded in MADMAX for FEHP(maybe I'll come up for Name for it). I just Loved driving that car!  It doesn't handle quite as good as CMAX and it is wider, I have to watch for my side view mirrors going into the garage. I think sitting higher up you don't get the sensation of speed either. It is going to take a while to get use too the instruments/gauges also.

I did some cost comparison between EV charging vs gas at 2.76 at Sam's. It is the same at work .15/Kh vs .51 cheaper at home .12/Kh. It is looking like it doesn't make cense to charge on a trip unless you can get the cost down to .12/Kh.

I charged up over night and it showed 100% charged this morning, ScanGaugeII had 90% and when it showed 0% charge SGII showed 24%. This morning it showed a range of 40 miles and after 7 mile trip it showed 34 miles. I plugged in the Level 1 charger and the ranged dropped to 31 miles and it showed 2 hours to get back to 100%.

For some reason I don't get the feeling of speed that I did in the CMAX. I was watching Regen and I don't know where it is putting the charge because SOC didn't change. 

Paul

Edited by ptjones

I did a 100% at work, about 2 hrs and it showed 36 mile range, it is uphill to work and down to home last night which would explain the difference of range of 40 mi. this morning and 36 mi. now.

I'm going to hold off on doing any Mods like Grill and Wheel Covers, Gas Pods, tire pressure, rear wheel well covers ect. until I get a good understanding of the car. I may take a couple of weeks for that to happen. I'll keep on Posting as I come across New things

Paul

It's about time, wouldn't you say? Now we need a Mad Max closeout report. Good idea to wait a little on modifications. I expect the

plug-in may behave differently, but I found the Escape handling put the C-Max to shame, mostly due to stickier tires. I have Ecopia 442 on 19's, what's on your 18's?

On 8/14/2021 at 9:42 AM, ptjones said:

.15/Kh vs .51 cheaper at home .12/Kh.

Check your math, that doesn't add up... and my marginal rate is $0.08/kWh. 

On 8/14/2021 at 9:42 AM, ptjones said:

... watching Regen and I don't know where it is putting the charge because SOC didn't change.

IIRC, C-Max plug-in had a segregated battery, using all the capacity when running as an EV, but only part of the HVB in hybrid mode. Might it be hiding? Alternatively, it might be too small. From 60 mph, you'd only fill the hybrid battery ~25%. See what a really long hill does. 

Energy Flow Diagram Escape.jpg

Edited by fbov

On 8/14/2021 at 10:43 AM, ptjones said:

I did a 100% at work, about 2 hrs and it showed 36 mile range, it is uphill to work and down to home last night which would explain the difference of range of 40 mi. this morning and 36 mi. now.

I'm going to hold off on doing any Mods like Grill and Wheel Covers, Gas Pods, tire pressure, rear wheel well covers ect. until I get a good understanding of the car. I may take a couple of weeks for that to happen. I'll keep on Posting as I come across New things

Paul

you might want to review what any "Raj" files you have about driving the Plug in Hybrid vehicle.  I am curious on how well the battery temperature is controlled as the CMax Energi has an inept design for warmer summer weather.   Does the battery temperature rise 17F sitting in a sunny parking lot during a 50f-72f day during a 8 hour work day as I have measured in the past with my Cmax Energi.    Don't even ask about warmer sunny days as I refuse to drive the Energi to work on those days. 

On 8/15/2021 at 3:35 AM, fbov said:

Escape has liquid cooling for the HVB. My hybrid's is smaller, yet seems bigger. I credit cooling. 

What is the normal operating temperature while running?   The CMax Energi has an optimal temperature of 76f but can not maintain such during warmer weather even with the air conditioning running full blast.   What is the battery temperature doing while charging on the L2?  The CMax pull around 9.8 amps on the scanguage and yours should do the same with the small 3.3kW on board charger.   As for charging to 100%, I would not do that on a regular basis.  Even the ultra modern Ford Mach E does not recommend doing so and if you do, don't let it sit.

This morning with 100% charge it showed a range of 46 miles and it went up to 47 miles when going some down hill and ended up with 39 mi. range to go when I got to work. When I turned car back on it dropped to 35 miles range.  I went to lunch and back, 8 miles + the 7 miles to work = 15 mi. and add that to the 32 mi. range left it looks like I can get 47 mi. on this charge. This is with speeds of 35 to 55 mph. I think EPA range per charge is 37 mi. so that works out to 10 miles farther without any Mods or Hypermiling. I'm using coasting in Neutral going downhill though, I can't help myself. If I used the same plan tomorrow I would end the day with 42 miles and 5 mi. left on the range. Maybe by the end of next week I will have my Mods ready.  One of the easy things to do is raise tire pressure from 34 to Max pressure of 44 psi.  I have my Gas Pods from CMAX they're  magnetic, easy to install. I'm thinking I will be able to improve range by atleast 3 miles, maybe 5 mi.

?hash=9990c24734ee5b1b36a81e927fe6a7da

Paul

Edited by ptjones

On 8/15/2021 at 2:03 PM, ptjones said:

I'm using coasting in Neutral...

How?

I use throttle to 0/0/0 the wattage display. You used to use the shifter in Mad Max, IIRC, which is problematic in Escape. Mine wants confirmation, has a "Neutral Tow" option. 

On 8/15/2021 at 2:03 PM, ptjones said:

... raise tire pressure from 34 to Max pressure of 44 psi.

Which tires? Ecopia's are rated to 41 psi. 

On 8/15/2021 at 11:53 AM, Billyk24 said:

What is the normal operating temperature while running?   The CMax Energi has an optimal temperature of 76f but can not maintain such during warmer weather even with the air conditioning running full blast.   What is the battery temperature doing while charging on the L2?  The CMax pull around 9.8 amps on the scanguage and yours should do the same with the small 3.3kW on board charger.   As for charging to 100%, I would not do that on a regular basis.  Even the ultra modern Ford Mach E does not recommend doing so and if you do, don't let it sit.

I have to pay more attention to the HVB temp in the future. When the HVB is fully charged the SGII shows 90% SOC and fully discharged HVB SGII shows 24% SOC. I'm not worried about fully charging the HVB which I do at night with Level 1 charger that came with the car. At this point I don't see I need a Level 2 charger.

On 8/14/2021 at 9:04 PM, Billyk24 said:

you might want to review what any "Raj" files you have about driving the Plug in Hybrid vehicle.  I am curious on how well the battery temperature is controlled as the CMax Energi has an inept design for warmer summer weather.   Does the battery temperature rise 17F sitting in a sunny parking lot during a 50f-72f day during a 8 hour work day as I have measured in the past with my Cmax Energi.    Don't even ask about warmer sunny days as I refuse to drive the Energi to work on those days. 

Can't you run your Energi  in Hybrid mode and not use the HVB?

Actually it has an annoying sound is suppose alert people you are driving a EV.

It takes about eleven hours if totally empty which works for me, I plug it in when I get home from work about 7 PM and is ready by 7 AM. It looks like I could go two days without charging if I can get 45 mi on a charge. It looks like the car sets itself every time you restart the car. Will check again tomorrow morning.

Paul

On 8/15/2021 at 3:40 PM, ptjones said:

I have to pay more attention to the HVB temp in the future. When the HVB is fully charged the SGII shows 90% SOC and fully discharged HVB SGII shows 24% SOC. I'm not worried about fully charging the HVB which I do at night with Level 1 charger that came with the car. At this point I don't see I need a Level 2 charger.

Can't you run your Energi  in Hybrid mode and not use the HVB?

The HVB is always being used as the transmission requires it.  In the EV later mode the SOC will be maintained between a small range With MG1 and MG2 adding as needed.   

I checked this morning and the All Electric mode didn't change.  Last night when I plugged it in the display showed 100% charge range at 50 mi., but this morning it showed 45 mi. and when it got to work it had 38 mi., 7 mi. to work. My garage doesn't cool down very well and the HVB temp was 84.5*F and when I got to work it was 86*F.

Specs say that the HVB has 14.4 kw capacity , the SGII says at 0 there is 24% left and fully charged 91% which means EV is only using 9.5 kw (91%-24%=67%x14.4 kw), the numbers don't seem to be coming out right. Last night when I got home the Display showed 4.5 mi./kw and range of 50 miles which = 11.1 kw capacity. This morning at 100% charge the range dropped down to 45 mi. and divide that by 11.1 kw=4.05 mi./kw.  On the Electric Efficiency display it says "Average 4.5 mi/kWh or Estimated range on next full charge is 50.2 mi".

Decided to go ahead and install Gas Pods and raise tire pressure to 44 psi., they were 32psi according to my digital pressure gauge.

Paul

On 8/16/2021 at 11:42 AM, ptjones said:

I checked this morning and the All Electric mode didn't change.  Last night when I plugged it in the display showed 100% charge range at 50 mi., but this morning it showed 45 mi. and when it got to work it had 38 mi., 7 mi. to work. My garage doesn't cool down very well and the HVB temp was 84.5*F and when I got to work it was 86*F.

Specs say that the HVB has 14.4 kw capacity , the SGII says at 0 there is 24% left and fully charged 91% which means EV is only using 9.5 kw (91%-24%=67%x14.4 kw), the numbers don't seem to be coming out right. Last night when I got home the Display showed 4.5 mi./kw and range of 50 miles which = 11.1 kw capacity. This morning at 100% charge the range dropped down to 45 mi. and divide that by 11.1 kw=4.05 mi./kw.  On the Electric Efficiency display it says "Average 4.5 mi/kWh or Estimated range on next full charge is 50.2 mi".

Decided to go ahead and install Gas Pods and raise tire pressure to 44 psi., they were 32psi according to my digital pressure gauge.

Paul

Your Escape PHEV may have a total 14.4kWh capacity but..only 11.1% is usable.   A top and bottom portion of the battery pack is walled off for durability purposes.  For example, the Extended Range Ford Mach E has a battery pack capacity of 98.9 kWh but only 88kWh is usable.   The Cmax Energi has a 7.6kWh total capacity but only 5.6kWh is usable.      Tesla walls off a much smaller portion of their battery pack then Ford.      

In my CMax, the Scanguage reads 15% SOC when the Energi battery pack is empty and the car converts to hybrid mode.  Mine charges to 99%SOC.   

Another thing about coasting it allows your HVB to cool down some when you don't use it.  Was noticeable with my 2013 CMAX Hybrid. 

So far I have 331.9 total miles, 312.2 electric mi. and 341.2 MPG.  When I got the car it had 395 mi to E gas and currently has 387 mi. to E. It seems to be averaging 47+ mi. per charge range so 10 miles over EPA estimate range. Interesting that after a short 7 mi. trip the electric range goes up 1 mile when you use the car later.  The highest HVB temp I have seen so far is 89*F with outside temps high 80's to low 90's*F.

As far as handling goes the FEHP has more body lean in the roundabouts than the CMAX Hybrid, probably from the additional weight in the back. CMAX Energi had less lean, but similar issues.

From an efficiency standpoint it seems to me on a + 60 miles trip it would be better to use the ICE block heater to warm up the ICE and then stay in Hybrid/ ICE Mode to start the trip to keep WT up to improve ICE efficiency. Just HVB at the end of trip when the WT doesn't matter when you don't use the ICE.

Paul

Another thing about coasting it allows your HVB to cool down some when you don't use it.----MG2 is working when coasting and thus battery activity is on-going.  You can see this on the dash and in the scanguage II hardware as the SOC rises.  The temperature in the CMax will rise with repeated use.   Since I don;t have the Escape, I couldn't tell. 

Shifting into "N" would shut off MG2 while coasting. 

Does the Escape still contain a Climate/Other power use gauge like the C-Max? I'm curious with that 25% hit what kind of power usage you were seeing? Also, what did you have the climate control set to?

25% feels like a lot unless most of the time it was running full blast trying to cool down an already hot cabin especially with the larger battery. Personally in my C-Max I often see between about 300-500w average climate use (purely by eye looking at the IPC gauge, haven't checked the numbers through ForScan recently) when it has settled in similar OT's here and I fluctuate anywhere between 68 and 72 on the call-for temp. And even then I don't feel like I see that much of a range hit with a measely ~4.0kwh capacity in mine.