Who is going to jump to the Escape Hybrid?

markd

On 12/9/2021 at 1:53 PM, homestead said:

... I think I will wait until they resolve these issues before I order. ...

So you're sticking with the C-Max for the foreseeable future?

You've listed random annoyances found in random cars; Ford won't fix this crap-shoot. My harmonic balancer is fine (there's no clutch, as you know) and nothing flaps. The subwoofer rattled, but it was an easy fix. Jan. 2020 build, so mine has an engine cover, too! 

On 12/9/2021 at 3:02 PM, fbov said:

So you're sticking with the C-Max for the foreseeable future?

You've listed random annoyances found in random cars; Ford won't fix this crap-shoot. My harmonic balancer is fine (there's no clutch, as you know) and nothing flaps. The subwoofer rattled, but it was an easy fix. Jan. 2020 build, so mine has an engine cover, too! 

Yes, waiting for now, I see multiple people with these problems that my C-max doesn't have.  Not in a hurry to give myself more aggravation.  My 2013 c-max only has 62k miles on it right now.  Plus in order to get one right now I would have pay a premium and then wait for delivery.   Ford made a TSB for the rattling noise but it didn't fix all the cars.  I think Ford will eventually fix these as they start producing more cars. Quality will improve.

I think it's appalling that so many folks had to fix their own subwoofer, if it is so easy why aren't the dealers fixing them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2021 at 8:22 AM, stolenmoment said:

Oh, that's disappointing. ...

I agree. Reviewers should learn the car. 

"Simply put, the Escape Plug-In Hybrid does not reliably operate as an EV when put in EV mode."

Folks like Paul Jones have not reported these issues. They have learned to operate the car. Would the reviewer had... but he's also got an obvious Toyota bias. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't been on here in a while, but figured I'd give an update.

I bought a 2014 ruby red C-Max SE Hybrid new off the lot for almost X-Plan pricing, and loved it. Ended up buying another one a couple years later, this one a 2013 model in grey, that was a CPO car, so I couldn't pass up the great Ford extended warranty deal. I eventually sold the 2014 since it had a ton of equity in it and kept the 2013.

Unfortunately with that 2013, I broke my own rule of never buying a first model year car of any sort, and had to have the transmission replaced via recall, had to live with the strange throttle on/off jerkiness that couldn't be programmed out, and it still has the common squeaky door seals I would've had to pay out of my own pockets to replace. But, beyond an emissions valve and ECM programming to solve a CEL, it's been a pretty reliable car that still gets over 44 MPGs in the city.

I've been looking at the Maverick Hybrid but decided against it for now, since again, it's still a first model year car, and I couldn't find any to test drive anyway (hen's teeth, these things). I love the idea of an open bed and added cargo capacity though, so might still get one when production gets spooled up again around August.

That said, I figured I'd look at the 2022 Escape Hybrids on nearby dealer lots and came across an SE in pearl white with the Convenience, Cold Weather, and CoPilot360 Assist+ packages, which were the only things I really wanted anyway. I'll be putting a Curt trailer hitch and wiring kit on it soon, as I plan to tow a trailer soon for a move from Idaho to Arizona. 

I used X-Plan on this one, which made purchase extremely easy. I'd joined the Mustang Club of America digital version for $35, got the membership card, PIN#, and everything in less than the 90 days required. If anyone hasn't looked into that for new Ford purchases, please do and save yourself some money and hassle.

Absolutely love the new FEH, rides much better than our C-Max, with its 122k miles that'll be given to our son. 

That reviewer who bemoaned the Energi's periodic use of the ICE in EV mode is missing the practical point behind EVs and hybrids. It's to reduce my use of fossil fuels, which my C-Max Energi's 65mpg lifetime average has accomplished. The point isn't to rack up as many EV  miles as you can,  for purity or piety's sake. Did the writer realize that when the ICE "fires up" for engine braking, there's no fire? Fuel is cut off while the engine pumps air against its own compression. 

• 3 months later...

Regarding the review- Alex Dykes is a breath of fresh air on the net. He's so factual and content-filled that he barely takes time to mention his name, branding be damned. He's fair and specific, and doesn't waste time with comedy and stray issues.

I really appreciate his analysis at 29:00 about the concept of building more hybrids versus a smaller number of pure EVs. I've been saying the same thing for years. Do the math; small numbers matter more. There are two ways to save two gallons of gas on a hundred-mile trip: 1) trade a 20 mpg vehicle for a 33 mpg one, or 2) trade a 50 mpg vehicle for an EV. The savings are the same...

If there's one place Alex goes astray, it's expecting the PHEV to get 1 mpg mpg more than the hybrid. I've been running a five-year experiment with two C-MAXes, one hybrid and on Energi, and the PHEV consistently gets about 75% better gas mileage. The Energi's lifetime average is 66 mpg, while the Hybrid stays stuck at 38 mpg. My usage pattern wasn't ideal for a PHEV, because I drove it over 100 miles on several days of the week. Even with zero miles showing on the EV battery,  the Energi will get 45 mpg in 75mph freeway traffic. Alex didn't mention overnight charging for his PHEV (he talks so fast!), and that's certainly no way to get a benefit out of a PHEV.

Edited by Wheatridger

The last 7 years I had my CMAX Hybrid I was getting 53 mpg with about 78% HWY and 273k miles total.  I have 20k miles on my FEHP with 52.3 gas mileage and overall 86 mpg, of course this is affected by how many miles EV miles vs gas miles. On trips with a full charge I'm getting up to 59 mpg. with the high temps now.

Paul 

• 6 months later...

I finally test drove a new Ford Escape late last week. The car was very likable. I think it's a truly handsome car, and it gave good road feel until I hit some fast twisties, where it seemed top-heavy and uncertain. My big problem with the car was the front seat. You can't tilt the seat cushion, even with the tiptop Titanium Elite trim. That was a $42,000 car! My '17 Titanium has independent adjustment of the cushion. My wife likes it flat, while I just like to change the angle often to shift my weight around. This one little thing would remain a thing for all my years of ownership, so I'll take a pass. 

• 11 months later...

Was looking for new vehicle for last couple years.  Saw 2022 Escape PHEV with 13k miles on it and did a test drive, everything was fine except it was very noisy.

Noisier than my C-max hybrid.  It may have had the ANC (active noise control) problem where it feeds back noise in the cabin.  So since we don't go on many long trips anymore we pulled the trigger on a new Mustang Mach-E which we really like.  They are heavily discounting them now and I was able to get one for about the same price as Escape PHEV and then with tax credit and 0% financing it came out much cheaper to get the Mach-E.

So will be selling our C-max SEL with 70k on it and will probably hang around the forum since my son has a 2016 C-max Energi.

Yeah I got last week.  Less than a 100 miles on it so far.  We like it a lot.  Very smooth & quiet and fast if you need it.

Next year tesla superchargers should open up for fords.  A few are already in place now.  When you sign in at supercharger it 

automatically leaves a CSS charge adapter on the end of the tesla charger.  They need to lengthen the charge cords

as Fords have the port on the front of the vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...