Sync 3 v3 Upgrade allows carplay?

Hello.  New 2016 C-max owner here.  Purchased the car yesterday, and after getting it home was disappointed to see that Apple Car Play, was not an option.  I have this on my 2017 F250, and it is a great feature.  In poking around it seems the car has Sync 3, v 1.0 installed.  I am working on getting the v3 upgrade installed, but wanted to confirm that with v3, Car Play would b an option?

I do see there is an older post from a few months ago, that mentions needing the edit the auto install file to get this to run, and that it did allow Android Auto (so I assume Car Play as well).  I may have to try that hack, as last night attempt was not a success (It was getting late, so I called it a night, maybe when I start it later today it will be there).   They do not make this software easy to update.

Thank you all in advance for any confirmation, or additional tips on the upgrade.  I'm sure I will have lots of other questions about getting the best out of this car in the future.

Okay, after a bit of research, and a few youtube videos found that for Android Auto, it is just an upgrade of Sync3 to v3.  but for Apple Carplay, it requires a hardware change for the USB hub.   The replacement part (2017+part I guess you would call it) is HC3Z-19A387-B.  I was able to buy this online for $46 and Change (about $57 shipped). The video below details the process, it really was a 5 minute job to swap the hub:  

• 1 month later...

II have not heard anything on that matter of wireless access to carplay.  I could be it being on the road map as they are now offering wireless charging in more and more vehicles.

For me, having to plug in, is not an issue.  It allows the phone to charge, and the car has two ports.  I have a cable plugged in at all times for the phone, and a USB drive with my music on it in the other slot. 

12 minutes ago, homestead said:

So when did Ford start putting in all the Carplay usb hub on new cars?

My 2017 F250 had it from the factory.   The 2016 CMax did not.   From what I  read looking into this, the 2017 model year seemed to have the ability from the factory.  2016's needed both a Sync software update and the hardware update (the hub).  There were a lot of comments on the various sites I researched asking about 2015 and older and the answer seemed to be the fix above would not work, so those must have some other hardware issues that would need to be addressed as well.

• 2 years later...
On 4/10/2020 at 1:33 PM, harmanrk said:

My 2017 F250 had it from the factory.   The 2016 CMax did not.   From what I  read looking into this, the 2017 model year seemed to have the ability from the factory.  2016's needed both a Sync software update and the hardware update (the hub).  There were a lot of comments on the various sites I researched asking about 2015 and older and the answer seemed to be the fix above would not work, so those must have some other hardware issues that would need to be addressed as well.

Just clarifying/adding some info to this discussion:

Only 2016 model years seemed to be equipped with the USB hubs that could not do CarPlay. They can still do Android Auto but it is often recommended to upgrade them anyways if only to get rid of the constant nag that shows on newer Sync 3 updates. There's also an unconfirmed rumor that the newer hubs may be able to provide more power to the phone for faster charging. 2017 and newer -SHOULD- have the updated hubs already. Telltale sign if it has not been is to ensure you are on the latest Sync 3 release and it will give an obvious warning about USB hubs being incompatible or similar on startup.

2013-2015 C-Max models if equipped with the 8" touch screen were all Sync 2/MyFord Touch. 2015/2016 is the hard delineation point here between Sync 2/3.

Old Sync 2 systems cannot get access to Android Auto or CarPlay, full stop. What you see is what you get. These are also EOL so there will be no further updates or features added. However those vehicles CAN be upgraded to Sync 3 with a hardware swap. You'll find full upgrade kits sold by many sellers all over the net. They'll usually provide everything you need (including the updated USB hub for CarPlay if they are competent) including preprogramming it to your VIN. Installation is a breeze and may only take 20-30 minutes tops if you are comfortable. I recommend reviewing Sync 3 upgrade videos for the Escape on Youtube. The Escape has all the same dash/center console pieces as the C-Max so the process is identical.

Sync 3 of course has CarPlay and Android Auto native WIRED and as long as you've been keeping up on the updates, they should all be ready to go by now. Wireless will never happen on these natively due to lack of hardware necessary. If you want wireless capability, you'll need the appropriate aftermarket dongle to make that happen. Only Sync 4 equipped vehicles (basically the F150 Lightning and Mach E, maybe others by now and as time progresses, more models 2023 and later will likely be equipped) have wireless AA/CP native.

Final note on that last point: Sync 4 CANNOT be retrofitted into our vehicles unlike the 2>3 process. Ford changed a ton of underlying hardware and communication protocols with Sync 4. The C-Max as well as Focus and Escape cannot be upgraded due to their older C1MCA architecture. Even those who have tried on more 'compatible' vehicles like F150's and Fusions have had a lot issues in the process to where they are still unusable as a daily driver and likely never will be completely usable as a retrofit.

As far as the compatible USB hub upgrades, this thread has a useful listing of various part #'s to look for. Make sure to look for the 2-port version for the C-Max. Single port w/passthrough is designed for the Ford models that have a separate USB port under the dash. These are not model specific so you can use one from basically any model vehicle as long as it is a 'Wide' model.

Media Hub, CarPlay Compatible - 2015-2020 Ford/Lincoln - SYNC 3 - Ford / Information - CyanLabs Official Community

Edited by cr08