map updates sync 3

Just received notice that my maps can be updated in my 2017 Ford CMax at the low cost of $149 preinstalled on a drive or $109 if I download to a thumbdrive.

Has anyone downloaded to the their own thumbdrive and was there any issue?

Is there someplace to find free map updates?

Thanks

I bought a freestanding Garmin GPS years ago from Costco with lifetime updates (and it included maps from Canada & Mexico).  I think it was $100 at the time.  We just move it from car to car and we both know how to use it (no learning curve with a new car and system).  

I just plug it into my computer from time to time, get the updates from the Garmin website and we're good to go.  Really has worked out well. 

FYI the later model year C-Max (definitely 2017+ but maybe also 2016) no longer use SD cards. The only way to get updated maps for the built-in nav is by paying the highway robbery fee.

Built-in Nav is a huge rip-off--always has been. I think that's the biggest reason the car companies dragged their feet on CarPlay/Android Auto for so long--they knew they would be losing a monster cash cow over the years as people realize it's better and cheaper to just use their phone's navigation. 

OP, if you really want updated maps, I think the download option would be the way to go. From what I understand they make the process pretty easy, and as long as you have a decent-size USB flash drive you should be fine. I'm sure their support people will assist if you get stuck.

But if you're doing it expecting the new maps to be much improved over the 2016-era ones you currently have, you may be in for an unpleasant surprise--sometimes changes/new construction takes a couple of years to make it into these static map updates. Yet another advantage of the Apple/Google maps--they are far quicker to update their maps with changes.

Just my 2c

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On 7/22/2020 at 9:15 AM, C-MaxA2 said:

I bought a freestanding Garmin GPS years ago from Costco with lifetime updates (and it included maps from Canada & Mexico).  I think it was $100 at the time.  We just move it from car to car and we both know how to use it (no learning curve with a new car and system).  

I just plug it into my computer from time to time, get the updates from the Garmin website and we're good to go.  Really has worked out well. 

Where / how do you mount the GPS  in the C Max?

• 4 months later...
On 9/8/2021 at 10:40 PM, fbov said:

No, I think they find cheaper options on places like eBay. 

This only applies for MyFord Touch/Sync 2 vehicles (ie: 2013-2015 C-Max) with the SD card based nav. Sync 3 the map updates are locked to a given vehicle and can only be supplied directly through Ford/their nav data supplier.

If you have a 2013-2015, no reason not to go the cheap route buying an updated card on Amazon/eBay/etc for a fraction of the price. I used to do this with mine on an every-other-year cycle when I still had Sync 2/MFT installed. 

• 4 months later...

Responding to ArizonaEnergi: Haha. Yes, I am the dumb schmuck who buys the map upgrade, mainly for convenience; if I loan my car to one of my children or friends, the map software is reasonably up to date. I also use Android Auto and I agree with the posters who say that is a good alternative. However, when I use Google Maps in Android Auto, it seems that I lose access to the Sync 3 infotainment screens. I may be doing something wrong. 

I have been fussing with the 3G to 4G modem upgrade and posting over in the other forum about it. When I have updated the maps, I have downloaded the file (for $109, if I recall correctly), transferred it to a USB drive, and installed it. Except that it appears the last update never installed, based on the version that is displayed on the Sync 3 screen. So I will have to attempt it again.