Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

For those who have had 12v Battery problems

• Please log in to reply
293 replies to this topic

Poll: Only if you have had 12v Battery Problems... (111 member(s) have cast votes)

What package do you have?

1. SE 200A (26 votes [23.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.42%

2. SE 201A (36 votes [32.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.43%

3. SE 202A (4 votes [3.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.60%

4. SE 203A (2 votes [1.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.80%

5. SEL 300A (5 votes [4.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.50%

6. SEL 301A (6 votes [5.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

7. SEL 302A (7 votes [6.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.31%

8. SEL 303A (7 votes [6.31%] - View)

9. Energi 300A (4 votes [3.60%] - View)

10. Energi 301A (2 votes [1.80%] - View)

11. Energi 302A (5 votes [4.50%] - View)

12. Energi 303A (7 votes [6.31%] - View)

What month was your car born?

1. July '12 (3 votes [2.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

2. August '12 (10 votes [9.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.01%

3. September '12 (16 votes [14.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.41%

4. October '12 (18 votes [16.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.22%

5. November '12 (5 votes [4.50%] - View)

6. December '12 (12 votes [10.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

7. January '13 (11 votes [9.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.91%

8. February '13 (10 votes [9.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.01%

9. March '13 (7 votes [6.31%] - View)

10. April '13 (4 votes [3.60%] - View)

11. May '13 (4 votes [3.60%] - View)

12. June '13 (3 votes [2.70%] - View)

13. July '13 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

14. August '13 (2 votes [1.80%] - View)

15. September '13 (3 votes [2.70%] - View)

16. October '13 (0 votes [0.00%])

17. November '13 (1 votes [0.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.90%

18. December '13 (2 votes [1.80%] - View)

What was the resolution (final fix)?

1. Replaced 12v Battery (21 votes [18.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.92%

2. Tailgate problems (1 votes [0.90%] - View)

3. Replaced frayed wires (1 votes [0.90%] - View)

4. Replaced module in car (i.e. power drain) (1 votes [0.90%] - View)

5. Melted fuse box (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Don't know yet... (71 votes [63.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.96%

7. Instrument Panel Replaced (1 votes [0.90%] - View)

8. Replaced Car (2 votes [1.80%] - View)

9. Software update (13 votes [11.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 OFFLINE   erwhitham

erwhitham

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 165 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIllinois
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C Max SEL 302a

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

Called the dealer today.  Been in a month.  He asked me if my "ears were burning?"  Because he said he just got a software update and the tech was installing it now and I could pick up my car today.  Hope the problem is fixed?  I told him I would pick it up tomorrow.  Let's see if it starts then! LOL!

Wishing you smooth driving from tomorrow on.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   erwhitham

erwhitham

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 165 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

Called the dealer today.  Been in a month.  He asked me if my "ears were burning?"  Because he said he just got a software update and the tech was installing it now and I could pick up my car today.  Hope the problem is fixed?  I told him I would pick it up tomorrow.  Let's see if it starts then! LOL!

Wishing you smooth driving from tomorrow on.

#43 OFFLINE   zhackwyatt

zhackwyatt

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 829 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C-Max Sel 303A

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

Added software update as a possible resolution to the poll, just in case :)

#44 OFFLINE   Temp61

Temp61

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 19 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:C Max 2013

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

Cmax just left the driveway on the back of a tow truck.   4th time for dead battery.   I took a video of all four turn signals blinking at me this morning as I went out to get the newspaper.  I  have shown the video to the service manager at the Ford garage.   Car parked in garage over a cold night, same situation every time.  The turn signal bulbs were very faint, had probably been on all night, battery voltage down to 8.48 volts, not enough to boot computer.  Also had a relay clicking about every 10 seconds in the area just left of the 12v battery.  I recorded it on my cell phone. It was clicking for about an hour until the towing company showed up.

The bad news is this is the car that had the reprogramming done on all modules last week, so software is not the fix.   My wife does not trust and will not drive car anymore.  I called corporate Customer Service and have an active case going. I have the video and audio if the engineers need it.  Car was built Sept 12 and has 6k miles on it.

I told them I want something to drive until the engineers find the problem and a fix for it.   I'm tired of clicking my key fob every time I walk by the car to see if it will wake up or not  This is Ford's problem and I'm sure they are well aware of it by now.

#45 OFFLINE   Hatchman

Hatchman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationChesapeake, VA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL 303A Hybrid

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

I think every Ford service writer is trained to "have never heard" of any problems.

I spoke with a service writer once about a particular problem, which they acknowledged was a common problem and had even occurred on their personal vehicle.  When I brought my vehicle in months later for the exact same problem, they must have not remembered already talking to me about it because they now claimed that they had "never heard" of the issue.  They must have gotten the "deny all" training in the mean time.  I didn't bother calling them out on it, it was free warranty service and I just made a mental note that the service dept may lie to you.   

Edited by Hatchman, 20 March 2013 - 01:49 PM.

• sixtyeightmk2 likes this

#46 OFFLINE   oxnard

oxnard

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 74 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationOxnard, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-max SE

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

Picked up the car today with a "software update".  Hope it works.  will report back if it doesn't.  I have attached a copy of the communication between dealer and Ford. They wouldn't make a copy for me, but I took a photo of it.

Ford communication

#47 OFFLINE   Hatchman

Hatchman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 116 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL 303A Hybrid

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

Picked up the car today with a "software update".  Hope it works.  will report back if it doesn't.  I have attached a copy of the communication between dealer and Ford. They wouldn't make a copy for me, but I took a photo of it.

Dealer:  "I won't make a copy for you"

oxnard: "no problem, I got this thing called a "smart phone""

Thank you for the info, so Ford is aware and working on it. 

#48 OFFLINE   DaveofDurham

DaveofDurham

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 574 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationDurham NC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAx SEL

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for posting.  The end of one line is a bit cut off - what is "4.2 inch FCD" ?

#49 OFFLINE   oxnard

oxnard

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 74 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-max SE

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

It's the small screen in the central area above the radio.  I don't have the Ford Touch.  I wanted it. wife didn't.  (but she still has a old school flip phone!)

#50 OFFLINE   Sparky

Sparky

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 45 posts
  • LocationAuburn, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Energi 300a - 1999 Suburban 6.5

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

Recent information indicates that Ford engineering thinks the dead battery problem is related to the 4.2" LCD display in the center of the dashboard. 

Perhaps the survey could add the questions:  4.2" center LCD display and 8" center LCD display

• oxnard likes this

#51 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2,019 posts
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

Recent information indicates that Ford engineering thinks the dead battery problem is related to the 4.2" LCD display in the center of the dashboard. 

Perhaps the survey could add the questions:  4.2" center LCD display and 8" center LCD display

I believe the option packages take care of that.  I believe the 8" comes with package 202a and 203a on the SE.  The SEL and Energi have the 8".  I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer, 22 March 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#52 OFFLINE   Temp61

Temp61

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 19 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:C Max 2013

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

From Ohio

More progress.... normal amperage draw from the battery while in sleep mode should be around 18 - 20 milliamps per Service Mgr.   My car is at the dealership hooked up to a Fluke meter where they are measuring a 350 milliamps load after it sits overnight.    This car has all the software updates which corporate thought is the fix.  They are doing a good job and communicating with corporate Ford constantly.   The clicking sound I recorded on my cell phone is under the hood and has been traced  to  a relay which is trying to energize the ABS system that has  a high current load on the battery.   Local dealership is sticking with it and determined to find the cause.  Ford is sending in an engineer to analyse the issue early next week. 

At least they have a problem they can see and work on instead of just dead batteries.   Something is waking up one of the computers....perhaps a signal from our new rover on Mars...

• oxnard and salsaguy like this

#53 OFFLINE   BobJustBob

BobJustBob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 102 posts
  • LocationMalvern, Pa.
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max SE Ingot Silver

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

Well, today I suffered my second dead battery in less than a week.  My battery was dead when I left work to go home.  So I called Ford Roadside Assistance, and the same guy who jumped me last week showed up.

I am charging my battery right now in my garage.  I hope it is fully charged by morning.

At the top of my "To do" list for tomorrow:  Call the Service Department at the dealership where I bought my car and demand some answers.  Second:  buy a small, portable jump starter to keep in the car.  Ford has a real problem on its hands and better come up with an effective solution soon.

#54 OFFLINE   Laurel

Laurel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

Oh boy these dead battery issues are sure discouraging to read about.  I am wondering if the Canadian dealers are keeping a hands off approach until the problems are resolved i.e. not ordering any stock?  There are so few around and no newspaper ads for them at all.  I have tried googling to see if Ford Canada is taking note in any blogs, but so far haven't turned anything up. My fingers are crossed for all of you having the problems!

#55 OFFLINE   erwhitham

erwhitham

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 165 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

Can't find any CMaxes in our Chicago ads either. Really mystifying. How about other parts of the country? I'm very curious if this is due to a select population ordering the car or problems under examination by Ford. What do others think?

#56 OFFLINE   Laurel

Laurel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

I scan the major Canadian newspaper Ford ads daily, and have yet to see one ad for the C-Max.  We ordered from a large dealership in October and we are the first and only sold C-Max from that dealership.  So we are nearly 5 months into having the C-Max and have yet to spot another one on the road.  I think that Ford is examining the C-Max problems and hasn't found solutions yet--thus no advertising.  I guess that Ford isn't commenting due to lack of solutions? 

#57 OFFLINE   dalebunker

dalebunker

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 77 posts
  • LocationAlameda, CA
  • Current Vehicle:Primary: '13 C-MAX SEL Secondary: '06 Ford Super Duty 6.0 Diesel

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

I've not seen any ads here in Northern California (SF Bay Area) either

#58 OFFLINE   Edsel

Edsel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 253 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL 303A

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

I live in Texas and have Dish Network.  It seems like I can't turn on the TV without seeing a C-Max commercial.

• salsaguy likes this

#59 OFFLINE   erwhitham

erwhitham

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 165 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

I live in Texas and have Dish Network.  It seems like I can't turn on the TV without seeing a C-Max commercial.

We also have many tv commercials for the CMax but no print ads. Doesn't make sense unless so many are on back order?

#60 OFFLINE   Ryan McEachern

Ryan McEachern

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 108 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationMaple Ridge
  • Current Vehicle:Chrysler Town and Country Van (C-Max ordered)

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

Laurel,

I hear on Jack FM that the DJ's are going to be driving around in a C - Max this week or next week as a promotion for the Vancouver auto show, and I hear the Ford electric vehicles will be putting on a big display at the Vancouver car show.

Remember Ford is a lot more that just the C - Max, and it can be a real dogfight between divisions over who gets the promotions.

Imagine how you would feel if you were in charge of selling and marketing Escapes? It would be pretty frustrating to see The new kids on the block getting all the attention.

I think that the popularity will grow, and the dealers will bring more I s as people ask for them. It's kind of a catch -22.

I think the maple Ridge Ford dealer has sold about 10 regular C - Max, but I have the only energi from them so far. They sold their white display model a couple weeks ago, and brought in a nice red one to display in the meanwhile.

Traditionally we live in a very poor market for Ford passenger cars. This is generally a decent market for domestic SUV's and Trucks, a strong market for import cars (Toyota, vw, etc). And I super strong market for minivans, both domestic and import.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·