600+Mile CMax Club

Jus-A-CMax

This is my 10th 600+ Mile Tank :happy feet: and my personal best at 679.4 (oh so close to the 680 and 700).

8861426883_e6790e58f6_z.jpg

Oh what could have been.....I think what happened was that yesterday I took the wifey to go to the Camarillo outlet for some Memorial Day shopping and then scooted to Woodranch for some AWESOME ribs, chicken and tri-tip (yes, greedy guts had ALL 3) and this meant I had to climb the dreaded Conejo Grade which burnt a ton of fuel. Didn't help that wifey wanted the AC on either...oh well. Not too bad considering. I should add that this tank has at least 40-50% freeway with 118, 101 and 23 all in the mix during the week.

Heres the goya with this car. Anything with a lot of freeway, this car will low 600s. However - as Matt has said and that I have also experienced today -  while driving the Sunland, North Hollywood, Woodland Hills and then Glendale just using the surface streets, the CMax will more than reward you for your time and patience.

This car does shine in the 35-45 MPH streets, especially if you pulse it enough and feather the EV.

The MPGs I was getting was RIDICULOUS....see my snapshots from todays valley runs:

8862025354_e098ed20e3_z.jpg

This is Los Angeles so our temps were pretty stable at around a very plesant 72F. No wind.

I think I may feel a 700+ coming to soon to a forum near you ;)

:)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I think I may feel a 700+ coming to soon to a forum near you ;)  :)

DUDE!!!!!

If you join Recompence, then that would be TWO. Two is a club!!!  (in my book anyway).

I didn't figure on anyone getting to 700 this early in the year!! Now I think you will be the second soon enough.

It wouldn't surprise me if Orphoto joined you both in the 700 club buy the end of summer.

Edited by Riddley

Well, I'm going to hit 600 miles on my very first tank of gas but unfortunately it looks like the 37 or so miles I drove before resetting my trip gauges is going to prevent them from showing 600, I'll probably end up in the 580's...  I thought I might still of been able to pull off 600 miles on the trip gauge but its been raining a lot here in NJ lately and my mileage has been down a little this past week.  

Oh well, as long as it doesn't get too hot here I should be able to officially get a 600 mile tank on my second tank.

Edited by SnitGTS

I was thinking about it and I want a ruling from the group, if I fill up and then top 600 miles in under 13 gallons of gas would that count as a 600 mile tank?  I'm averaging about 49 mpg so far so that would be easy!   :dogwalk:

Edited by SnitGTS

Noooooooooooooo!   That's already been asked (by me) and answered (by Jus-A-Cmax) in this thread.

Also in my opening post in thread titled:   Take the C-Max 1,000 mile mpg challenge:

"1,001.4 miles,  544.0 EV miles, 21.95 gallons gas, 45.6mpg

[Disclosure - I started out trying to see if I could get a 600 mile tank.  I was not interested in running my tank down to near empty or in carrying extra gas in my car, so I filled up at a little over 500 miles but did not reset the trip odometer.  When I posted my result of 13.39 gallons for 614 miles (346.5 EV miles) at 45.8mpg on the 600 mile CMax Club thread, the Chief Empty Tank Line Judge (aka Jus-A-Cmax) threw down his penalty marker and gave me an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.  I argued that I deserved extra credit because with my fill-up a little past the 500 mile mark I drove the last 100 miles with an extra 60 pounds of fuel mass, but the replay judge (is that you Adair?) ignored my plea.  Lucky for me I didn't get a red card.  I was still in the game and just let the trip odometer keep going until it got to 1,000 miles.]"

Noooooooooooooo!   That's already been asked (by me) and answered (by Jus-A-Cmax) in this thread.

Also in my opening post in thread titled:   Take the C-Max 1,000 mile mpg challenge:

"1,001.4 miles,  544.0 EV miles, 21.95 gallons gas, 45.6mpg

[Disclosure - I started out trying to see if I could get a 600 mile tank.  I was not interested in running my tank down to near empty or in carrying extra gas in my car, so I filled up at a little over 500 miles but did not reset the trip odometer.  When I posted my result of 13.39 gallons for 614 miles (346.5 EV miles) at 45.8mpg on the 600 mile CMax Club thread, the Chief Empty Tank Line Judge (aka Jus-A-Cmax) threw down his penalty marker and gave me an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.  I argued that I deserved extra credit because with my fill-up a little past the 500 mile mark I drove the last 100 miles with an extra 60 pounds of fuel mass, but the replay judge (is that you Adair?) ignored my plea.  Lucky for me I didn't get a red card.  I was still in the game and just let the trip odometer keep going until it got to 1,000 miles.]"

I agree with you 100% DaveofDurham!!

Hey, why do some of you guys specify "no moonroof"?  You think they're "dorky", ruin your mileage or what?  Jus' wonder'n... (but I do like the other extra info!)

This weekend's going to be my big push for a 600+ tank - pano-roof and all!  Will be SE, E0, 87, will have to check the pressure, stock.

This car is awesome!  It got me in the 600 mile club. :)

Car - SE with panoramic roof

Tires - 42 psi "cold" at about 70F

Gas - 87 octane E0 (no ethanol) - refilled at same gas station (true loop)

Driving Conditions - No rain, no AC, some wind, temperatures from 50 to maybe 75F

Elevation - Maximum 1800ft, Minimum sea level

Roads - essentially all "highway" about 1/3 Intersate at 55 to 65 mph and most of the rest open country roads at 50 to 55 mph with the occasional town and stops for crossroads, etc.  (and Jus, no "train miles"!)

Zero miles to empty came at 637 miles on Trip 1 with 12.89 gallons used.

Lifetime now at 45.5 mpg (reset when picked up at dealer) with 745 EV miles.

gallery_656_57_25555.jpg

Here is my best tank yet! 720 miles.

This makes three 700+ mile tanks in a row.   :)

I am pushing for 750.......

Matt

:happy feet:  Oh I get it....I lay out 10 x 600+ gallons and you lay out 3 x 700+ huh.... :drool:

:wub2:  it mate!

Holy crap Matt! Great Gonzo and every friggin expletive under the sun....well done :rockon:

Now, this is with the aero mod? (or parts thereof)

PS Isn't it wonderful to pounce those you-know-where-doubters into the sand with these insane mileages. I wonder what will they say--well probably just ignore these "lil" inconvenient facts and still quote that silly Consumer Report. Or may be you and I have SPECIAL cars....oh wait..may be Ford built 14 other "special CMaxs"...yes sireee :salute:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

This car is awesome!  It got me in the 600 mile club. :)

Car - SE with panoramic roof

Tires - 42 psi "cold" at about 70F

Gas - 87 octane E0 (no ethanol) - refilled at same gas station (true loop)

Driving Conditions - No rain, no AC, some wind, temperatures from 50 to maybe 75F

Elevation - Maximum 1800ft, Minimum sea level

Roads - essentially all "highway" about 1/3 Intersate at 55 to 65 mph and most of the rest open country roads at 50 to 55 mph with the occasional town and stops for crossroads, etc.  (and Jus, no "train miles"!)

Zero miles to empty came at 637 miles on Trip 1 with 12.89 gallons used.

Lifetime now at 45.5 mpg (reset when picked up at dealer) with 745 EV miles.

gallery_656_57_25555.jpg

lol, "train miles".....you know by right, you should not be able to achieve this at this odo. I guess you have a "special car" too.... ;)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Cool.

I never claimed to have the best mileage in the world. But, I have a REALLY hard time with that claim (73mpg for the entire tank)........

I know what that would take, nearly zero accelleration and a never EVER exceed top speed of about 20 to 25 mph.

Matt

Mate, I didn't think anyone drove in the condtions that I thought 700 miles was possible but yeah, you've done it like 3 times  :)   I think Adair claimed it right...sounds more like an Energi. Hey that last tank had aero mod with the lexan wheel cover (or partial)? I am thinking that it should be noted with a star as it deviates from the standard that we all drive. Jus a thought...at this rate a high 775 is possible by the end of your aero mods with the lower covers and front grill. Also why no grill cover if its going to improve the MPG as well? Let me know how you want to call it.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

The last 60 miles of this tank were with wheel covers and the passenger mirror removed.

These mods, combined, are supposed to net 1.5 to 2mpg gain on the highway on most cars. I have been told there is no increase at all under 30mph with areo mods other than a grille block allowing the engine to warm up more rapidly. It is hard to tell what these changes have done at this point. Oddly enough my mpg has actually been lower overall since making these changes. The reason for that is inclement weather.

I really need to do some expressway driving to see what, if any, improvement I see. I think it is obvious that once I complete the belly pan, grille modifications and the stuff I have already done, that I will definately notice an improvement.

Matt

Oh, yes, I am pretty much positive 875 miles on a tank is only possible with an Energi.......

As for how to quantify or classify my mileage, I guess from now on I can begin updating tank mileage with a comment regarding what mods are done so we can keep track of that.

Now, that being said, I believe 775 miles is doable considering that would be roughly 60mpg. I can avarage that now if the weather holds out for an entire tank (without any aero mods). The big issue is having perfect weather and no expressway driving for an entire tank........

Matt