600+Mile CMax Club

Jus-A-CMax

yeah as i hit POST i was thinking, woops I meant to say burn out the electric motor. actually just don't want you guys to cause issues running on fumes. these are just a few of the MANY articles on this:

The claim that running a tank low is bad because of fuel sediment at the bottom of tank not thought through.  The fuel pump pickup/inlet is at the lowest point of the tank.  Much like a straw in a drinking glass, the car always gets its fuel from the bottom of the tank.  There is some credence to this if a lot of water is present since water is heavier than fuel.

Internal fuel pumps are cooled by the fuel running through them not what is surrounding them.  For example, the fuel pump in my motorcycle is above the fuel line and in the air by around the 3/4 mark.  IOW, it spends more time above the fuel supply than under it.  FWIW

Jus and Recumpence and numerous others have shared lots of valuable info.  As for break-in, there are so many variables that it's tough to discern, but your mpgs should be better with the accumulation of miles, though you already have a respectable 3800.  Also, speed kills...mileage:  70 is bad, 80 is worse and 90 is likely jail time.

:happy feet:

So this is what I ended up with today:

9030419808_c19635ba2b_z.jpg

I wanted to keep it under the 13.00 threshold limit. And after I tanked up at Costco, I found out I used 13.06 gallons!!!!

Funny thing was that Maxine was telling me I had 6 more miles on it and I know when it turns red and ZERO left, I have another at least 15 miles below it but after the last major tank where I ran out at 13.05 I didn't want to chance it. Next time I will push it more :drool:

This was all surface street driving, no freeways. Speeds range from 35mph to 45mph.

76% of my miles was EV. No, I do not have an Energi ;)

No aero mods, all stock. 3.5.1 update, 45 psi tires and Costco Premium gas.

Someone asked me to about the Miles to E after a refill so I took a picture after I drove back to the office:

9028154621_d5d4e72db6_z.jpg

This was my gas receipt at Costco:

9030382888_d71ec3d3ea_z.jpg

I was expecting 13.5 gallons used at least. Oh, well :drool:

Final thought - I think an 800 or high 700 miles is possible. I lost a lot of gas with Galpin testing after the 3.5.1 update as my Avg dropped from 59MPG to 53MPG and it took forever to get it back to 58.8 MPG at the end. Next time - but its going to take me 2 1/2 week to 3 week till the next fill up.

Lifetime is 46.8 MPG. Not bad.

PS Response from wifey after I told her the news: "You're NUTZ". Phew, lucky she didn't read that thread

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

That's amazing Jus!  Congrats!  

837 to empty is amazing!  When I filled up my miles to empty said 670 and after driving for a couple weeks I'm right on track, 241.4 miles right now and I burned 4.67 gallons, bump that up to 13 gallons and it is 672 miles.

Who's going to be the first to 800?

Edited by SnitGTS

1st 600 mile tank, my wife drove the car on 400 miles of this, 60% hwy, 30% interstate and 10% city. Our next goal will be 50mpg for a tank, what are the keys to doing this?  Will our mileage increase after we drive the car more?

Well done! Congratulations and welcome to the club hoosierjtf :rockon:

snitGTS - 800 is the Holy Grail...... :worship:  Matt is next, then orphoto...thats a start :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

800 requires 61.5mpg to achieve. That is really difficult to sustain day after day. For me, not all of my mileage is surface streets. I do have a bit of 65mph driving. I also carry 300+ pounds of equipment all the time. Then there is Illinois weather and horrible roads. Rain kills MPG due to the drag induced by the wetness of the roads and the heavy air. Also, the weekend errands kill my mpg. Like today, my MPG was 59.5. This tank has a 58.4mpg average so far. I bet that will be around 59mpg tank average by the weekend. But, the weekend driving will drop my mpg for this tank at least 1.5mpg or so. Then I will have to fight to get it back up when my work week begins again.

These extremely high mpg numbers require a few things;

#1 Low overall speed (like 40mph or under average)

#2 Relatively flat roads

#3 Consistency (you cannot have a single day with poor mileage and expect to hit radical numbers)

Now, that being said, I predict an 800 mile tank will happen at some point. I would say Jus will be the man to do it. If his work route remains the same, he will definately be over his 764 on his next tank. I predict (if his route stays the same) he will see 59.5mpg for this next tank. That will put him near 780 miles. I predict I will be over 750 miles on my next tank. But, I highly doubt I will be able to catch Jus......  He has all planets in alignment right now........

Matt

:happy feet:

So this is what I ended up with today:

9030419808_c19635ba2b_z.jpg

I wanted to keep it under the 13.00 threshold limit. And after I tanked up at Costco, I found out I used 13.06 gallons!!!!

Funny thing was that Maxine was telling me I had 6 more miles on it and I know when it turns red and ZERO left, I have another at least 15 miles below it but after the last major tank where I ran out at 13.05 I didn't want to chance it. Next time I will push it more :drool:

This was all surface street driving, no freeways. Speeds range from 35mph to 45mph.

76% of my miles was EV. No, I do not have an Energi ;)

No aero mods, all stock. 3.5.1 update, 45 psi tires and Costco Premium gas.

Someone asked me to about the Miles to E after a refill so I took a picture after I drove back to the office:

9028154621_d5d4e72db6_z.jpg

This was my gas receipt at Costco:

9030382888_d71ec3d3ea_z.jpg

I was expecting 13.5 gallons used at least. Oh, well :drool:

Final thought - I think an 800 or high 700 miles is possible. I lost a lot of gas with Galpin testing after the 3.5.1 update as my Avg dropped from 59MPG to 53MPG and it took forever to get it back to 58.8 MPG at the end. Next time - but its going to take me 2 1/2 week to 3 week till the next fill up.

Lifetime is 46.8 MPG. Not bad.

PS Response from wifey after I told her the news: "You're NUTZ". Phew, lucky she didn't read that thread

How can you explain getting 100 miles more that your previous best? Did your route change? I thought you had some interstate driving? What do you think the maximum mpg would be for a 31 mile trip with 18 miles being highway 55-60mph and the rest being interstate 60-65?  More downhill one way than the other.  My best on the way in was like 53mpg and on the way back 45.5.

How can you explain getting 100 miles more that your previous best? Did your route change? I thought you had some interstate driving? What do you think the maximum mpg would be for a 31 mile trip with 18 miles being highway 55-60mph and the rest being interstate 60-65?  More downhill one way than the other.  My best on the way in was like 53mpg and on the way back 45.5.

Yep, I mentioned that back around the 28th of last month, took a new job so I no longer travel the freeways/highways like I did in my old job. I had so many postings/threads of my past MPGs, you can search up on that and I know I did about 15,000 of the miles with my old job. Even then I was seeing improvements as the odo crept up, from low 600s, to 630s and peaked at 679 but that included about 2 days of surface street driving (about 1/4 tank).

In regards to your last Q, theres so many variables but looking at your stats, thats pretty impressive with 49 Avg return and as I said in one of the threads here, my opinion and thought is that the newer CMaxs have superior mileage than those early adopters and I include myself as an early adopter (car build in Oct2012). You'll find that as you get to know your car and the terrain, you'll improve significantly and you develop an eye and co-ordination to drive FE to the maximum (and yet not bother the traffic behind you).

PS stick to 60-65mph or go read the ICE High MPG thread if you are going to go freeway/highway. 55-60mph is too slow if there is traffic behind you (although its not so bad here in CA as everyone knows all trucks are limited to that speed range so everyone is used to this on the right lane).

:)

we're not worthy,

we're not worthy,

were not worthy.

all hail king Jus.

long live Jus!!! you are awesome and crazy.

be sure to send that screenshot to your sales guy at Galpin and post that on the Ford and CMax Facebook sites for sure.

LOL, thanks salsaguy, much appreciated. My sale guy luvs it and I just included my Service Advisor in the email chain saying that if I ever have to bring Maxine in complaining about a "poor mileage" issue, hes in big trouble. As for FB, I'll leave that to others (Adair)

Plus all this will be moot when Matt comes back with a bigger one. As snowstorm said, all this competition is good for everyone - jus proves what can be done :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

By the way, this CMax club will remain as a "600+ CMax Club". 600 is still the threshold to break, and its just as difficult to break now (and needs some balls to do it still) as it was when it was just ptjones and I, way back in January.

Also, being a member means you've proven to this CMax commnity that you have reached a benchmark in fuel efficient driving - better for your CMax skills, your environment and your wallet.

19 members, including our first female driver and we await the 20th person to join, soon :rockon:

OL, thanks salsaguy, much appreciated. My sale guy luvs it and I just included my Service Advisor in the email chain saying that if I ever have to bring Maxine in complaining about a "poor mileage" issue, hes in big trouble. As for FB, I'll leave that to others (Adair)

Plus all this will be moot when Matt comes back with a bigger one. As snowstorm said, all this competition is good for everyone - jus proves what can be done :)

Done!!!

Edited by Adair

That 765 miles is something else!!

I wonder if I am one of the northern-most 600+ mile club members.  Thought I saw Adair and other neighbours in Michigan break through already.

Thought about trying for an even 1000 km (relax - not miles) for the tank and probably could have made it.  Lot of fun riding around with the red line for last hour or so.

Conversion rate: 1km = 0.625 miles (close enough).

(will edit later when figure out how to post a picture)  965.4 km on 48.42 L (5.0L/100km)

Thank you, very much appreciated - feels like Adam Scotts win at the Masters :rockon:

RachelInLA - where have u been girl!!! Missed all the excitement :)  !!!!

We've all been playing leap frogging with Matt's 4x700 tanks, orphoto coming in with his 700 out of the BLUE and then Matt raises the bar AGAIN and then I snuck in. We're just waiting for the next surprise. This is a very EXCITING thread for sure :drool:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

That 765 miles is something else!!

I wonder if I am one of the northern-most 600+ mile club members.  Thought I saw Adair and other neighbours in Michigan break through already.

Thought about trying for an even 1000 km (relax - not miles) for the tank and probably could have made it.  Lot of fun riding around with the red line for last hour or so.

Conversion rate: 1km = 0.625 miles (close enough).

(will edit later when figure out how to post a picture)  965.4 km on 48.42 L (5.0L/100km)

unreal numbers I cant believe this

Unbelievable! you must have been in complete amazement as you moved beyond 650 and saw still plenty of miles ahead of you.  But to end up at 764...WOW!  Someday maybe I can approach greatness with even 600?

Thought I saw Adair and other neighbours in Michigan break through already.

Thanks for the kind thought, Tree63. Not me yet tho......I would have been close last tank, but the dealership drove it for a couple days and wrecked my averages. I'll get there this summer tho, I'm sure. But 700? Nah, I'll be biting nails to get to 600  :baby:

Jus,

I am pushing REALLY hard to get my MPG up to match yours. But, I am still short on this tank. Right now I am hovering at 58mpg exactly for 490 miles on this tank. For those who may not be aware of this, moving from my 58mpg on this tank to Jus' 58.6 is no easy task. That is 10% higher MPG. That is no small feat. Unless the weather spoils things, this should be a 750+ mile tank. I highly doubt I will match or best your 764, though........

I must say this;

Competition is wonderful. It drives us to push harder to achieve better and better results. You know you are a MPG addict when you refuse to turn the AC on and would rather sweat and stick to the seat to gain that extra 1 or 2 mpg.    :)

At any rate, my driving still contains a lot of 55mph roads and it always will. When I stick to 35mph roads, I am way up at 62.5mpg consistantly.

Hmm, maybe for one tank I should absolutely avoid all highways (if that is even possible with my work) just to see how high these numbers can get. I doubt I will beat Jus, though. He is the MAN on this MPG race.

I predicted 760 miles on Jus' tank and he hit 764. I predict 780 miles on his next tank. Let's see if I am correct!

Matt

Go Matt! Go Matt! 

Those little 0.1 mpg increments is tough indeed. My tank right now is 62.4 MPGs , jus short of 100 miles on the tank. Anyway, it looks like I will do 1 tank for your 2 but I am good with that cause I  :wub2:  driving by the Costco each day, waving to all those gas guzzlers.  I like the comp but I far more enjoy beating those Cmax doubters to a pulp, nothing like being a pink elephant in their discussion...hence my Fuelly as well.  Speaking of which, NO one has come close to mid 650s, let alone break 700.

I have no doubt you'll take back the crown...go Matt :rockon:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax