600+Mile CMax Club

Jus-A-CMax

I'm pretty sure "normal cars" get the best mileage at way less than 45 mph. I don't have access to documentation right now, but from personal experience I would say its more like 50 km/h, or less. Maybe way less. I would guess the mileage just gets better the slower you go, until you reach the point where the majority of the fuel is being spent to overcome the friction of the drivetrain, at which point it would make sense to speed up.

I wish I could come close to matching those numbers.  But the fact remains I can't even come close.  No matter what I do.

Attached is a thumbnail of my personal best tank of gas.  My current tank is just under halfway and my average mpg is going back and forth from 40 to 42mpg and was under 40 for most of the first half. Got as low as 35mpg.  Very discouraged, I'll never make it to 600miles at this rate.

mtb9153,

That best tank is very close to what you would need.

Your best tank:  569.0/311.6 EV, 44.6 MPG, 12.73 Gal used 

My best tank:  600.6/311.1 EV 46.6 MPG,  12.88 Gal used

As you can see, there was very small difference between your best and my best. (2 mpg).

Considering that you have been putting all the techniques to use, the difference must have to do with something about the drive, or something about the car. Regarding the drive - if it is all high way, with very little driving below 60MPH, that might be a contributing factor. If you have a lot of hilly terrain where you live, that might also be a factor. Regarding your car, a few different things to explore: Record a trip under good conditions in your C-MAX.  Then either rent or borrow someone else's C-MAX and do the exact same trip, under the same conditions and compare results. If your car performs noticeably worse than the other car, it might be sufficient to continue experimentation. If not, then there is one small, isolated data point to suggest it might not be the car.

Due to what I'll call "unforeseen events" I will never be able to prove this, but I absolutely could hit 600 miles on my first tank of gas!  I've put about 400 miles on the car since I got it and the estimate till empty said 213 miles when I got home today

The reason I won't be able to prove it is I got a full tank at the dealer when I picked up the car and in my excitement I hopped in the car and drove about 10 miles on my way home, drove to my parents house and back (another 25 or so miles), and when I got home I reset both trip 1 & trip 2 not thinking I might set a record on fordcmaxhybridforum.com.  If I had only known!  My trip gauge has settled in about 48-49 mpg so if I really went to empty I might be able to pull it off, but I don't think I'm that brave...

Oh well, I should have no problem blowing that away on my second tank of gas!  (just might take me another month or so to drive that far)

Due to what I'll call "unforeseen events" I will never be able to prove this, but I absolutely could hit 600 miles on my first tank of gas!  I've put about 400 miles on the car since I got it and the estimate till empty said 213 miles when I got home today...

... Oh well, I should have no problem blowing that away on my second tank of gas!  (just might take me another month or so to drive that far)

SnitGTS, do me a small favor and run out to your car to check on something. See if there isn't a circular port high up on the left front fender (see picture below).

... NICE WORK!

rsz-ford-cmaxenergi-chargingport.jpg

Ha!  No, no charger port, even if there was that would only be more impressive dragging around that extra 300 pounds since there is no source of power in my garage. (I live in an apartment, I'm lucky I have a garage at all)  

I did some math.  I have 445 miles on my car and there were 40 on it when I drove off the lot with a full tank, my trip gauge says 368 miles (should be 405, so I drove 37 miles on the tank before resetting the trip gauge).  My estimate to empty says 212 miles so you would think that would strand me at 580 miles, HOWEVER, I suspect the estimate to empty goes off the lifetime average which is currently at 42.8 mpg. (when I drove off the lot it said 19! and no, I'm not resetting it, lifetime is lifetime to me)  I took a picture of my average mileage over the last 300 or so miles (up on the 50+ mpg trips forum) and it shows 50.3.  So when I did the math, 212 / 42.8 * 50.3 I got 249 miles!  368 + 249 = 617!!!  (and should be 654!)  I did some more math and figured I only have to average 46.8 mpg for the rest of my tank to hit 600 total.

I'm tempted, but I don't know, I don't want to run out of gas like a dope...  Does anyone know for sure whether the estimate to empty is based off of the lifetime average???

Due to what I'll call "unforeseen events" I will never be able to prove this, but I absolutely could hit 600 miles on my first tank of gas!  I've put about 400 miles on the car since I got it and the estimate till empty said 213 miles when I got home today

The reason I won't be able to prove it is I got a full tank at the dealer when I picked up the car and in my excitement I hopped in the car and drove about 10 miles on my way home, drove to my parents house and back (another 25 or so miles), and when I got home I reset both trip 1 & trip 2 not thinking I might set a record on fordcmaxhybridforum.com.  If I had only known!  My trip gauge has settled in about 48-49 mpg so if I really went to empty I might be able to pull it off, but I don't think I'm that brave...

Oh well, I should have no problem blowing that away on my second tank of gas!  (just might take me another month or so to drive that far)

You could check your car purchasing papers to. See if the milage on the car when you bought it is included. I found mine on my contract.

As requested :salute:

1. SEL no moonroof

2. 50 psi cold

3. E0 Regular (last two tanks) otherwise E10 Regular.

4. Completely stock.

Hey, why do some of you guys specify "no moonroof"?  You think they're "dorky", ruin your mileage or what?  Jus' wonder'n... (but I do like the other extra info!)

This weekend's going to be my big push for a 600+ tank - pano-roof and all!  Will be SE, E0, 87, will have to check the pressure, stock.

Now I'm wondering at what speed the C-Max would get the best possible mileage - flat road, no wind, etc and what that mileage would be.  I've read that "normal" cars get the best mileage around 45 mph.  It should be a lot less for the C-Max.  Someone needs to find a track, set ECO CC (it works at least down to 20 mph) and go 10 miles at various speeds to find out.

I think the days of best MPG@ 55 MPH or less are now a urban myth.

Our last 2 cars had 6 speed automatics, they didn't shift into 6th until 55-60 the MPG would increase after that till about 70 then start down.

We had a 05 F250 diesel automatic, it would shift into high at 62, the MPG would climb to 21.

Now I'm wondering at what speed the C-Max would get the best possible mileage - flat road, no wind, etc and what that mileage would be.  I've read that "normal" cars get the best mileage around 45 mph.  It should be a lot less for the C-Max.  Someone needs to find a track, set ECO CC (it works at least down to 20 mph) and go 10 miles at various speeds to find out.

Here is a link that shows the c-max mpg vs speed, also shows the prius.

What we are fairly confident in is that if the tank average showing on the trip gauge is at or above 46.5 MPG, then 600 for the tank is doable, assuming the tank was full and the trip gauge is reporting data for the full tank. 

If your trip gauge is 75 miles short of reporting your full tank, then the FE in that first 75 miles is a mystery, and could affect your results.  

This is my wife's second 600 mile tank, but this time she got a picture.

47.4 mpg

12.65 gallons

600 miles

42 psi

SEL w/pano

Hatchman - please confirm to this forum that it was your wife who got the 600 miles a tank and not you? If she did it, she would be our 1st female driver to do this...thanks

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

No pic, but 609.1 miles and 12.1 gallons used for 50.3 mpg.  I was gonna  go for 700, but my wife objected to me wanting her to walk the last hundred miles...

Congratulations Jaz, added your name to the 600 Mile CMax Club Honor Roll.

Yes, my wife drives the C-Max and got the 600 mile tank . She is definitely a female. Her username is blackonblackcmax

Excellent, 1st Female member of our 600 Mile Cmax Club Honor Roll. :rockon:  For that she gets her own pink line on the Honor Roll :drool:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax