600+Mile CMax Club

Jus-A-CMax

A question for you 700 mile clubbers.  How accurate is "Miles to Empty?"  Can one rely on it?

2nd question.  What exactly is "feathering?"  Is it applying just enough power in EV mode so that there is no braking effect or is it something else?

Thanks.

I'm not in the 700 mile club but ...

"Miles to empty" is accurate from the standpoint of using it to not run out of gas.  However, as an accurate way to judge exactly how many "MORE" miles I can drive, its not accurate at all.  I drove 20+ miles past "0" and when I filled up, the pump said I used 13.036 gallons.  Also, the Cmax said I had only used 12.63 gallons.  So I don't understand how it can say I was 0 miles to empty but only used ~12.3 gallons of an 13.5 gallon tank.  (OK, don't start, I know Ford is fudging to make sure I don't run out of gas, but why under estimate the volume of fuel used AND under estimate the mile to empty). Stepping down from soapbox.

Speaking of my fill-up I am already in the 600 club but Jus-a-Cmax has motivated me to improve my last tank.  So here is a 630.1 mile tank.  I am shooting for 650.  I don't think I can get much past that as my daily drive is mostly interstate and I use the AC.

post-355-0-84459800-1372469067_thumb.jpg 

Edited by HannahWCU

It only took 14 fill ups to make 600 miles on one tank. Was on fumes.  Mileage to empty was zero and the gas gage showed a red line under the E indicator.  Put in 13.22 gallons so I was cutting it close.  Indicated gallons used was 12.48 gallons.  I wish Ford would fix the gallons used.  I range 3 to 7% error when I fill up.

Now after reading about 700+ miles on a tankful, I feel so inadequate.  I guess a new goal to shoot for.

We welcome chuckles as our 27th 600+ Mile CMax Club member. Well done :rockon:

Also updated Post #1 for HannahWCU - great stuff jumping from 600 miles to 630 miles  :drool: 

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

The trip computer shows me using 12.54 gallons.  I actually used 12.93 gallons.  If correct, it means the computer overstated my actual mpg which was 46.63 and not 48.  A few more fill-ups will be needed to accurately sync the two numbers.

The computer traditionally understate the gas used. 0.3 to 0.5 is normal.

I know it does on mine - except one time when it was pretty close to actual. Don't sweat it, every 600+ CMax member has seen this. Just make sure you stop around 12.80 or whatever limit you are willing to go to & be happy.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

:happy feet: 

Please welcome Set7721 aka "Super Sipper from fuelly.com" who got in with 724 :drop:  miles on the tank). He makes the 4th driver to drive past the 700 mile... :drool:  ... mark and our 29th member. 

Funny enough, I found this mark a few days ago and lo and behold - he's a poster here too. Small world  :hi5:

1 more member to hit the BIG 30!!!

:happy feet: 

I don't suppose C-Max Energizers would be admitted except possibly under a sworn statement of no plug-ins on the trip.

Hee...unfortunately no, won't be a fair fight. Over at the Energi forum, theres something similar but they play in the thousands vs us mere "mortal" CMaxs ;)

I was not even trying for the 600 miles until I went to fill up yesterday. When I looked at my trip 1, I saw I only needed a few miles to be to 600 so I rode around a bit and then filled up.

Charles

attachicon.gif607.jpg

Charles, I don't know why, but I can't get that picture to open. I can see the 607 but can't read the rest.  Can you send me the particulars and I'll get you added? 

I was not even trying for the 600 miles until I went to fill up yesterday. When I looked at my trip 1, I saw I only needed a few miles to be to 600 so I rode around a bit and then filled up.

Charles

attachicon.gif607.jpg

Welcome to cgul as our 31st member of the 600+ Mile CMax Club :)

At 11.85 gallons, he could have gone onto 650 ;)

I put 300 miles on my last tank in town when we left to go to minnessota. Well, I finished this tank on the expressway going 70mph with a full load of luggage, 3 people, and the AC blasting the entire way and still cleared 700 miles. :)

Matt

Thats FREAKING AMAZING :rockon:

I put 300 miles on my last tank in town when we left to go to minnessota. Well, I finished this tank on the expressway going 70mph with a full load of luggage, 3 people, and the AC blasting the entire way and still cleared 700 miles. :)

Matt

Thanks for posting that Matt! I'm at just over 500 miles on this tank, and MTE tells me there is 178 left to go. Part of that is going to be X-way, so I'm hoping for a 600 tank!!! I'm Encouraged now!!!

Charles, I don't know why, but I can't get that picture to open. I can see the 607 but can't read the rest.  Can you send me the particulars and I'll get you added?

Adair, I put in the gallery it shows up in recent images. 607.3 miles 51.2 mpg 11.85 gal.

Charles

I don't suppose C-Max Energizers would be admitted except possibly under a sworn statement of no plug-ins on the trip.

It would be an interesting attempt, and we Energi owners clearly have road trips where we're unable to plug in, and might qualify. Remember that our EPA number is quite a bit lower than yours, but we've got a full 14 gallon gas tank to work with. But the real trick is that I'm unlikely to attempt a long road trip where I'm not moving fast on the interstate, so getting the extra high mpg numbers becomes less likely.

Happy 4th to everyone.  We would like to share our second fill-up and 602.4 miles from Jersey.  80% driven by my wife to and from work during NJ rush hours non highway.  Air conditioning always on - tire pressure as delivered from dealer - haven't even checked.  No mods and wife did not really change driving habits.

Second fill up

I drove the last 50 miles - as she didn't want to run out of gas trying to reach 600.

Trip gauge said 13.02 gal - bought 13.585 gallons.  Too close for comfort - won't be doing that again :).  Did have gas can with me since we weren't sure how accurate the gauges were.