Improve the CMax? Your thoughts...

Jus-A-CMax

Let your voice be heard about the improving the CMax!  

94 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see improved in the C-Max?

• MPG performance in the cold
    • MPG performance - other, please elaborate
    • My Ford Touch
    • Interior layout, details & finish
    • Exterior paneling, styling, color, finish, mirrors
    • Wheels / Tires
    • Rear Liftgate
    • Electronics (non MFT), Battery
    • FOB / Remote Start
    • Other - please state.

Like my new c-max a lot but ...

I would also like the gearshift lighting.

Fix voice recognition so it works.

Allow faster acceleration in EV mode.

Lumbar support adjustment in passenger seat.

I have the std stereo for SEL and the volume control is too sensitive to fine tune the volume.

Lower the battery pack or move it so that the floor in the back is not raised.

this one amazes me with being 2013.

come on its a gps capable car and u dont need to have old school antenna.

why cant they use a shark type hump like on a bmw or audi or vw?

these are normal now new cars.with this carb being  from a euro design this doensnt make any sense why they did this!!!

i love my vw Passat antenna hump

i agree its old school ugly

also a potential for someone bending it on you or in the car wash

Here's my random list of dislikes that I've been accumulating. Definitely some overlap with the other lists above.

Roof antenna looks dated

Edited by salsaguy

1. i would like a panoramic roof that opens

2. a rear hatch that has a tail gate and a window that opens separately , it would be so much easier to put things back there not be afraid they will fall out when I open the back

3 a center console that is more useful it's a deep cavern making It difficult to find things

4 a more open area for storage under the radio area

5 front seats that fold all the way forward for carrying long things or making a travel bed for long trips

But most of all ... A more reliable battery ! I don't want to have to get up and check the car an hour before I have to leave for work to make sure I will be on time if I have a dead battery. It's not good to be afraid that your car won't start especially when it's brand new.

1. i would like a panoramic roof that opens

2. a rear hatch that has a tail gate and a window that opens separately , it would be so much easier to put things back there not be afraid they will fall out when I open the back

3 a center console that is more useful it's a deep cavern making It difficult to find things

4 a more open area for storage under the radio area

5 front seats that fold all the way forward for carrying long things or making a travel bed for long trips

But most of all ... A more reliable battery ! I don't want to have to get up and check the car an hour before I have to leave for work to make sure I will be on time if I have a dead battery. It's not good to be afraid that your car won't start especially when it's brand new.

I bought this: http://accessories.ford.com/net-asy-load-fixing-10344.html and like it.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a lot of time comparing & contrasting the different options of the different models before I purchased my car.  I also considered purchasing the Focus which is similar but comes with different 'packages' before settling on my car.  It may be a surprise to some but I never considered the Prius, the competition was always between the C-Max and the Focus.  

I am extremely happy with my C-Max SE, but here are a few things I would have changed:

- option to not have leather seats in the SEL (I've had leather seats before and I hated them, I would have gone with this model if not for that)

- option for a rear view camera in the SE (I almost went with the SEL for this feature, but I didn't want the leather seats, I figured I could get an aftermarket rear view camera)

- more options for the right side & center screens, they essentially do the same thing and there aren't that many different options when you tire of the leaves and didn't get the navigation

- better rear view mirror, for such a well built high tech car it stands out as exceeding low tech and cheap looking

- when you set the lights to automatic they do not turn on when it rains, so I have to turn them on manually, but since I keep them in automatic I've almost forgot to turn them off a few times...

- better floor mats or another way to better protect the driver's left side foot rest, I can see that getting beat up real fast...

- there isn't a whole lot of storage up front, and what is there is kind of awkward to store everyday items in  (ie: the "storage" below the floor in the back rows is kind of silly and I bet a lot of people don't even know it's there!)

- LED head lights and tail lights, this thing is a hybrid right?  

Even with these 'complaints' I'd buy this car again, I absolutely love it!

Edited by SnitGTS

Definitely second better stitching feel and appearance on the steering wheel. You use it all time and it would have an immediate impact on feeling of quality. Also would like to achieve sustained high mpg at higher speed on the freeway driving over 65.

One other thing I just thought of, I'd like to be able to force the car to stay in EV mode or force it to run the ICE to recharge the battery.  If I know there is a section coming up that I can go far in EV but need more juice in the battery to do that, I can charge up the battery by forcing the ICE to run.  (sometimes you can trigger this but it depends on traffic conditions and the section of road you're on)  Other times I'm not in a rush but accidentally push the gas a little too much and kicks the ICE on even though I didn't want or need the acceleration.

My wife says the Cmax needs a Backup Alarm, so now I have to find something that will work.............

Gotta love this car, it is amazing.......

Drive Home  38 mi got 41.2 mpg

next day 106 mi got 42.4 mpg

yesterday 266 mi got 43.3 mpg

Still learning, but it sure is FUN................ :)

• 1 month later...

Really like the car fun to drive had it up top of mountain and it goes just great.

But there are things that I would like to see.  

1.  More little door around the front to put small stuff.  Check out the Toyota Matrix it has a lot of little doors to put stuff!

2.  The little screens in the front are really lacking user choices.  I would like engine temperature, oil pressure, rpm,  horse power vs Kw.  It seems like they don't think we can think any more.  If your going to give us options give us ones that are useful the stupid leaves are totally useless!

3.  The check engine is a joke.  It does a test of the system and the only thing it can say is ok is a slap in the face of our intelligence.  If this is going to be useful it is going to tell us more information than just ok!

4.  The engineers that design the engine compartment never had to work on it.  Just looking at having to replace the air filter is a night mare.  I guess they think we are willing to pay a technician a hour or more to do something that should take 5 minutes.

5.  Option for a spare tire.  I don't always drive in a town so if had a flat tire on a highway or on some dirt road out in middle of Wyoming I would like the option to get back to town.

Really like the car fun to drive had it up top of mountain and it goes great.  It drives great gets great gas mileage but my biggest complains are on the accessorizes.   

But there are things that I would like to see changed or upgraded  

1.  More little doors or compartments around the front to put small stuff.  Check out the Toyota Matrix it has a lot of little doors to put stuff!

2.  The little screens in the front are really lacking user choices.  I would like engine temperature, oil pressure, rpm,  horse power vs Kw.  It seems like they don't think we can think any more.  If your going to give us options give us ones that are useful the stupid leaves are totally useless!  It seams that you should be able to upgrade this to what you want!

3.  The check engine is a joke.  It does a test of the system and the only thing it can say is ok is a slap in the face of our intelligence.  If this is going to be useful it is going to tell us more information than just ok!  It should give us a range of where it should be running and where things are running.  We should have the option of more info if we want!

4.  The engineers that design the engine compartment never had to work on it.  Just looking at having to replace the air filter is a night mare.  I guess they think we are willing to pay a technician a hour or more to do something that should take 5 minutes.

5.  Option for a spare tire.  I don't always drive in a town so if had a flat tire on a highway or on some dirt road out in middle of Wyoming I would like the option to get back to town.  I'm not convinced that the tire goo will fix every problem.

6.  Adjustable Passenger seat

7.  Locking Fuel door. I don't like the idea that someone can put stuff in my fuel without me knowing it.  The locking door prevents this.  Other car vendors know how to do this.

8.  The Glove compartment doesn't work!  Almost everything you put in there comes out every time you open the door.

Edited by gjrewerts

1. SYNC seems "obtuse" to me.  ( I wish for something more like this: https://www.linux.com/news/embedded-mobile/mobile-linux/586164:linux-drives-cadillac-into-the-infotainment-era )

2. SPARE TIRE

3. The spot where the fog lights would be if I had them should be smooth so no wind resistance.

4. Have more than one MyView

6. Be able to put something useful on the right hand screen in front of the driver, like MyView.

7. Have the leaves come and go as a function of how well I am driving given the terrain, not just how high my mpg is.  So if I am gently going up a steep hill, I should not lose leaves.

I am not sure about this one but I am thinking maybe I would have preferred tires that were not so sporty, were a bit more cushy over the bumps and less expensive to replace.  I like to replace tires way before they officially wear out.

Edited by obob

How about a Cmax ST? :D

An option for an ICE with about 20% more power would be nice. Of course FE would suffer but the option could attract more interest and profit for Ford.

Speaking of which, since I started a thread with the EV driving - I was thinking, it would be nice if they could have given me a stronger EV motor. Soup up the battery even a wee bit and soup up the EV motor a wee bit, let me manage the SOC and life would be so much better...

Speaking of which, since I started a thread with the EV driving - I was thinking, it would be nice if they could have given me a stronger EV motor. Soup up the battery even a wee bit and soup up the EV motor a wee bit, let me manage the SOC and life would be so much better...

I know!

I noticed on Yahoo autos there is a '14 Focus Electric. Maybe a pure electric cmax will be next.

I`m about to order a 2014 Ford C-Max SE Hybrid when the Order Book opens on Wed Sept. 18.  Unless there is a last minute amended and updated 2014 C-MAX Order Guide, zero changes.  Here`s my issue.  I have no use and do not want SYNC or MFT with 3.5 update or 10.5 update.  Even in the SE Trim Level, you have but 3 choices.  Package 220A Standard Equipment including SYNC and MF(no Touch). 201A gives you a Power Rear foot operated Lift gate and Closure, Ambient Interior Lighting, and Rear Bumper Proximity Sensors, (But) No Rear View Monitor Display, "SEL" only, sorry. Package 202A gets you Sirius/XM Satellite Radio and what else for $600?  If you Order 201A, you can`t get Sirius/XM Satellite Radio?  If you order 202A, you can`t get the Power Rear foot operated Lift gate and the Rear Bumper Proximity Sensors?  Oh, you want it all or (almost) all?  Package 203A in addition to 201A and 202A gets you Front Bumper Proximity Sensors and Navigation but still (no) Rear View Monitor Display, again SEL only.  Hope you prefer Leather Seats in Florida and Arizona when its 100` plus outdoors!  Curious how both Hyundai and Kia can offer Sirius/XM Satellite Radio as Standard Equipment on their cheapest 14K and 15K Accent and Rio but Ford makes it so difficult to get Sirius/XM Satellite Radio on a 27K car, Just asking.....That satellite module must be awfully expensive for Ford to include on their radios.  Not so much though in Canada where Ford often includes the Sirius/XM Radio as Standard Equipment at no extra cost

Phil, I think a bunch of people, including myself, have written the same post.  I wanted a loaded equivalent of the 303A but without leather.  They need to come up with some regional packages (like factory tint, no leather, etc.) for places where it gets hot, or whatever would be a big seller in that area.