3.5.1......Anyone? Anyone?

Haha, so here is what happened.

Aside from maybe the infrastructure problems with the over-the-net update, I had (have?) a huge problem with the dealer.

Firstly, the dealer didn't listen to me at all about the difficulties - and waited to start my car until 5 hours after we dropped it off. That explains the first night stay (also they never called us at all, so I had no warning and as such left my wife and daughter stranded in different aces waiting for a husband/father who would not be coming).

Day two they had the car half a day, called me in and I got the SD error.

They took the car back in the shop, I went back to work. They called me back a couple hours later and said it was fixed.

I go in and sure enough it's not giving me the SD error. Want to know why?

BECAUSE THEY NEVER DID THE UPDATE.

The reason it had the SD error was they put an A4 nav card in the car, but the MFT was still at 3.1.3. Their "fix" was to put an A3 nav card back in the car so the old MFT would stop complaining.

I was furious. I had a work log and receipt which stated they had done the update - but was looking at the original 3.1.3 screens.

I got out of the car and had them call the manager (this was Friday afternoon and he had already left for the day). I refused to move until he came in.

At this point I need to note that I am a contractor in my current job and I lose a lot of money when I have to leave, I am non exempt and lose hourly wages. So far dealing with this dealership issue alone has cost me over $200 in wages.

Several minutes later he (the manager) comes screeching into the parking lot, jumps out of his truck and angrily walks up to me.

We have a lengthy debate about customer service. Which devolves fairly quickly and he keeps telling me how his dealership is not Ford and he doesn't want me as a customer. He threatens to kick me off his lot and call the police.

FINALLY I convince him to take my paperwork back - the paperwork which says the update was completed - and talk with the tech and see what was done.

5 minutes later he comes back, meek and quiet. He apologizes profusely, and acknowledges his tech never did the work and lied in the paperwork. He also caught the service advisor in this one as well.

He gets a different guy on it, he says he is going to personally watch and quality control the entire process. He took me in his personal vehicle (a Nissan - not a Ford) to the car rental place. Had them give me an upgraded rental, wave all deposits, and pay for all of my gas. He said he would personally be dealing with me in the future and again was profusely apologizing the entire time.

Lets are how this plays out.

It looks like Ford *and* this dealership are great big balls of FAIL... But maybe the manager will make it right... We will see.

What a flippin' nightmare Valkraider!!! I would contact Ford corporate offices with complaints on this dealership!! I sure hope the manager continues to follow your car until all is fixed to your satisfaction!!! W.O.W.!!!!!

Haha, so here is what happened.

Aside from maybe the infrastructure problems with the over-the-net update, I had (have?) a huge problem with the dealer.

Firstly, the dealer didn't listen to me at all about the difficulties - and waited to start my car until 5 hours after we dropped it off. That explains the first night stay (also they never called us at all, so I had no warning and as such left my wife and daughter stranded in different aces waiting for a husband/father who would not be coming).

Day two they had the car half a day, called me in and I got the SD error.

They took the car back in the shop, I went back to work. They called me back a couple hours later and said it was fixed.

I go in and sure enough it's not giving me the SD error. Want to know why?

BECAUSE THEY NEVER DID THE UPDATE.

The reason it had the SD error was they put an A4 nav card in the car, but the MFT was still at 3.1.3. Their "fix" was to put an A3 nav card back in the car so the old MFT would stop complaining.

I was furious. I had a work log and receipt which stated they had done the update - but was looking at the original 3.1.3 screens.

I got out of the car and had them call the manager (this was Friday afternoon and he had already left for the day). I refused to move until he came in.

At this point I need to note that I am a contractor in my current job and I lose a lot of money when I have to leave, I am non exempt and lose hourly wages. So far dealing with this dealership issue alone has cost me over $200 in wages.

Several minutes later he (the manager) comes screeching into the parking lot, jumps out of his truck and angrily walks up to me.

We have a lengthy debate about customer service. Which devolves fairly quickly and he keeps telling me how his dealership is not Ford and he doesn't want me as a customer. He threatens to kick me off his lot and call the police.

FINALLY I convince him to take my paperwork back - the paperwork which says the update was completed - and talk with the tech and see what was done.

5 minutes later he comes back, meek and quiet. He apologizes profusely, and acknowledges his tech never did the work and lied in the paperwork. He also caught the service advisor in this one as well.

He gets a different guy on it, he says he is going to personally watch and quality control the entire process. He took me in his personal vehicle (a Nissan - not a Ford) to the car rental place. Had them give me an upgraded rental, wave all deposits, and pay for all of my gas. He said he would personally be dealing with me in the future and again was profusely apologizing the entire time.

Lets are how this plays out.

It looks like Ford *and* this dealership are great big balls of FAIL... But maybe the manager will make it right... We will see.

What an example of incompetence, I would post this story on the Ford Facebook page in addition to contacting Ford Corporate.

Lets see how they handle this before I give the name of the dealer.

Shit happens. Lets see if they make it right.

I just got another call, from a much humbled service advisor - who promises it's done and done - in his words - "done right this time".

And I had already contacted Ford Corporate on Friday morning - BEFORE the "faked" update receipt debacle. So if I get any response I will add that in...

Edited by valkraider

Automobile service departments are going through a huge change in skills requirements with the new car technology.  Many of the old school mechanics can't handle all the electronics.  The new school automotive technician needs to be more of a computer tech.

I picked my car up today after having the update installed. I'm a little suspicious because I saw that my car was driven 9 miles and the lights were turned from automatic to the off position. There may be legitimate reasons for these things but I can't help wonder if anyone else noticed their mileage before and after taking their car in. They also messed up my lifetime mileage. Before taking it in it was 43.5 and now it's 42.8. So far I'm very happy with the update. I really like the black wallpaper.

They ALWAYS kill my mileage. But I have never noticed how many miles they drove it. I will next time.

Automobile service departments are going through a huge change in skills requirements with the new car technology.  Many of the old school mechanics can't handle all the electronics.  The new school automotive technician needs to be more of a computer tech.

That was my experience when I was having stalling issues in my Explorer.  It's a '98 so the computer doesn't have as many of the sensors and information as modern cars.  They couldn't figure out the problem because the computer never told them what the problem was.  I'm like, cars of yesteryear didn't have computers, what did you do then?  We have a shortage of mechanics with skills in this country, IMHO.

I picked my car up today after having the update installed. I'm a little suspicious because I saw that my car was driven 9 miles and the lights were turned from automatic to the off position. There may be legitimate reasons for these things but I can't help wonder if anyone else noticed their mileage before and after taking their car in. They also messed up my lifetime mileage. Before taking it in it was 43.5 and now it's 42.8. So far I'm very happy with the update. I really like the black wallpaper.

They ALWAYS kill my mileage. But I have never noticed how many miles they drove it. I will next time.

Same thing happened to me today - but - I rather the spend the gas, full test it out than for me to return the car later due to something screwing up. I think I lost like 6 MPGs from when I gave it to them and when I got it back. Oh - I had a Check Engine so it was more than just the 3.5.1.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Ford should take a page from Audi on hiring techs;

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/audi-begins-program-to-match-us-military-veterans-with-dealership-service-openings-1794614.htm

The 'Veterans to Technicians Program' will create pathways for skilled former military technicians to become Audi-certified employees

Demand for Audi Dealership technicians is expected to soar 112% by 2020 as the brand continues U.S. market growth

The program was developed with CALIBRE Systems, Inc. to support Department of Defense and Department of Veterans Affairs Veteran/military transition initiatives.

Audi of America is launching a new program aimed at attracting skilled former military technicians to Audi certified service department roles in dealerships across the country.

Edited by darrelld

I am sitting at my dealer waiting as the update is being done. More as I get it... I am really looking forward to some of the improvements... iPhone text compatibility, power flow screen, supposed "improved stability".

where did you see the statement that Iphone Text Compatibility? Have never seen anything about this, since Apple does not utilize the stock SMS protocol for text messages, it uses the proprietary Imessage protocol with is run off the data - either cellular or wi-fi and goes to a server farm that is run by Apple. Mine is still sitting at the dealer with the dashboard missing a lot of pierces so I can't see if it works

Well I saw something over at syncmyride that said the iPhone would be usable with update :( unfortunately it is not, but everything else is peachy. The update took almost three hours but is now working great. The dealer said I was the first update for them. Now lets see how it works from here on out.