What are you listening to?

Manticore

Since we are in the Lounge and it's for off topic, here's one for you.

What are you listening to?

Being a child of the 60's I am a huge Beatles fan.  It's very rare that I find a cover version of one of their songs to be better than the original, but here's one that is absolutely Stellar!

I am the Walrus as done by Spooky Tooth

Adjust your altitude, turn up the speakers and enjoy...

Chris

Radio Hula

The subtleness and softness of the slack key, with a beautiful hula dancer dancing to this...or just play this when you are cruising the beach in your Max in EV and enjoying the sea breeze.

In fact, this album is what I play when I do the beach properties...Hawaiian Slack Key Guitat Masters Vol. 2
http://www.myspace.com/variousartists-46102803/music/albums/hawaiian-slack-key-guitar-masters-vol-2-14546502

Enjoy  :)

Everything from AC-DC to Fleetwood Mac to ZZ Top! (I'm another 60's child...) Too many on my USB drive to list here.

My wife is always nagging me to get hearing aids but I have no problem hearing the radio in my C-Max without having it loud enough to annoy her, unlike the TV. LOL It's so quiet inside the car that I can listen to the radio and understand her at the same time!

NPR on HD radio 40%, Sirius "The Pulse" 20%, and nothing but blissful hybrid silence the rest of the time!   :rockon:

Speaking of covers, I usually don't like them but the one on KISS called "KISS MY A**:  Classic Kiss Regrooved" is awesome.  

This Amazon reviewer summed it up well:  "This set is a great example of how Kiss has changed the face and sound of music in the last 25 years. Who would have thought that a country singer(Garth Brooks), a soul singer (Lenny Kravitz), an alternitive group (Nine inch Nails), and a Metal artist (Anthraz) would be on one album! The "unplugged" "Rock & roll all Night" by Toad the wet Sprocket is excellent. This collection is a must for every Kiss fan."

http://www.amazon.com/Kiss-My-Ass-Classic-Regrooved/dp/B000001E4B

Radio Hula

The subtleness and softness of the slack key, with a beautiful hula dancer dancing to this...or just play this when you are cruising the beach in your Max in EV and enjoying the sea breeze.

In fact, this album is what I play when I do the beach properties...Hawaiian Slack Key Guitat Masters Vol. 2

http://www.myspace.com/variousartists-46102803/music/albums/hawaiian-slack-key-guitar-masters-vol-2-14546502

Enjoy  :)

Jus-A-CMax, that's wonderful stuff, thanks for sharing.  I slack tune my Martin from time to time but I've never managed to play anything remotely as lovely as Ledward Kaapana plays.  I had never heard him or heard of him but I sure will be listening to more of his stuff.  Thanks again!

My mother got me listening to Alfred Apaca when my age was in single digits.  He has one of the greatest voices I've ever heard, He's right on par with Roy Orbison & Raul Malo.  Gotta say I love Island music.

Michael Nesmith said there are only 2 types of music, good music and bad music.  I have to agree and I love the joy of finding something really good that I've never heard before.

Manticore - you're especially welcome. Theres a story behind this: I didn't know about Hawaiian Slack Key either until my wife and I were vacationing on the Big Island on the north west side, and we came across a mall concert by John Keawe, who little did we know, is a legend in the Hawaiian Slack key.

8685167536_385a44e04c_z.jpg

The little concert lasted about an hour and he explained the history of the Spanish cowboys who were there in Hawaii and their guitar playing and how it evolved and integrated with the essence of Hawaiian music. It's fascinating...but that was not all to the story....one day after that trip, I decided to load up my USB for our drives to Mammoth so we have some Hawaiian music to listen to...little did I know that my wife had the Masters CD Vol 2. Wow, what a find...even then, I didn't know what I had - until I drove down to Manhattan Beach for an appraisal job, cruise the beach area shooting comps and that song came on...wow, oh wow....and it was like finding a secret cocktail mix after years of drinking bad beer.....your senses go "Mate....where have u been!?!?!?".  So that's jus the story...

Cheers  :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a child of the 60's also....but right now I'm really into a band called "Murder By Death".  Very original....good stuff.  They kinda worship Johnny Cash, and on some songs the lead singer sounds like him, but the music is very different.  They include a stand up bass in almost all their music.  Not sure if thats what you call it, but its the one that is played with a bow.  I just really like their sound.

Oh...and Deep Purple just released a new CD.....so far sounds pretty good for a bunch of 60 and 70 year old guys.

Edited by salprint

I bounce back and forth across the spectrum.  I have been listening lately to Journey Revelation, first album with Steve Perry's replacement doing lead vocals.  Then I go back to listening to Christian Contemporary music (i.e. Steven Curtis Chapman) on Spotify or on the only radio station I listen to which is KLOVE radio.

I'm another child of the 60's so if I'm not listening to NPR radio I'm listening to Cat Stevens, The Eagles, Abba, The Bee Gees, The Beatles, Kenny G, Rod Stewart, Simon & Garfunkel.  And because of my hobbies I listen to podcasts about knitting, Mac Observers Mac Geek, Car Talk, The Dog Trainer's Quick and dirty tips.

I find it very interesting that there are so many people around my age that own a C-Max.  

I'm going to kick it up a notch here...this is becoming one of FAVE thumping, high energy mixes...TURN UP YOUR BASS :rockon:

http://www.mixcrate.com/djorion310/top-40-club-mix-2012-122316

His 2012 Mix 2 is awesome and so is his 2011 Mix 1 & 2, :wub2: all of 'em and its a sea change to the the Hawaiian music that I listen to all the time.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I am embarrassed to say lately I have been listening to Sirius Willie's Roadhouse.  All those croaky voiced older country singers make me tear up and think of the good old days and I sing along with them even though I can't carry a tune.

I'm 53 years old, and I've been enjoying some of my favorites ranging from the Woodstock Generation through the Supergroup Era of the 70s.  I like some recent stuff, too.  I started out with Pandora, but I've moved to listening almost exclusively to Spotify.  I also enjoy NPR Podcasts.  Topnotch entertainment and bringing my cocker spaniel along make road trips enjoyable.  I can't wait to do it in my new CMAX!

I just got a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, which is an Android phone.  I test drove the CMAX before upgrading to the new phone.  I sure hope that things will work well with it.  Kind of a bummer that AppLink isn't on the 303A package, so that I could take full advantage of both MFT and the new smartphone to each one's full potential.

I hear that Spotify is planned for MFT.  Does anybody have an ETA on this?

Congratulations on a Canadian achievement and thanks for sharing the YouTube.

I totally :wub2:  it and the best thing - all the video images are real, none of the fake CGI stuff we see in the movies. Dude sings really well :rockon:

Now, if we can only get Adam Scott up there, that would make my day even better :drool: