Where do you put an electronic toll transponder?

HPRifleman

I need to mount my electronic toll road transponder in the car. On my last vehicle I had it up high on the windshield in front of the rear view mirror. But on the C-Max there is a large plastic bezel in front of the mirror and a mesh-type screen on the glass.

Anybody with these transponders have any suggestions?

I just located such an object on the passenger side of the rearview mirror, below the blacking at the top of the windshield.  Before finalizing the location, I moved it so that is blocked from my line of vision by the mirror.

All of this follows the directions provided in my unit.  Remember, you do not want to put it behind the mirror on the driver's side, blocking the automatic rain sensor.

Can't help you much since we have no toll roads in NorCal, thankfully.  Don't need that aggravation but give the Ca. politicians time and I'm sure they will find a way of bringing them here. 

As for your question, how did it mount on your previous installations?  Does it use a suction cup to the glass?  or hang from the R.V. mirror itself?  Either way I would guess it could be still adapted somehow next to the large plastic bezel as you call it.  Sorry I can't be more definitive since I can't visualize what it would take to mount your device.  If you possibly could provide a detailed view of this device I could more clearly suggest a possible way to secure it.  I'm pretty good with devising ways of mounting things for my own purposes when they arise.  Used to be a CAD mechanical designer here in the SillyCorn Valley as I like to call it.  It is against CA vehicle code to place anything to the windshield with a suction cup or so I've heard.  But really it comes down to whether a CHP officer wants to give you a bad time about having it.  Plenty of drivers place radar detectors on their windshield with small suction cups and don't seem to have any trouble. 

I'm curious, is this something that allows you to drive through the toll booth without depositing $$$ each time because you have paid up in advance.  Sort of like the muni bus passes we have here. 

Exactly.  It's read electronically as you drive through the toll booth.  Monthly email statement and charges go on your credit card.

Some tool booths are also high speed; just whiz through at 65+mph.  System works like a charm.  Google EZ Pass.  It also neat because most of the northeast is on the same system, so the one windshield-mounted gizmo works in NY, NJ, DE, PA, MA, etc.

Exactly.  It's read electronically as you drive through the toll booth.  Monthly email statement and charges go on your credit card.

Some tool booths are also high speed; just whiz through at 65+mph.  System works like a charm.  Google EZ Pass.  It also neat because most of the northeast is on the same system, so the one windshield-mounted gizmo works in NY, NJ, DE, PA, MA, etc.

great idea if this something you encounter allot

I'm curious, is this something that allows you to drive through the toll booth without depositing $$$ each time because you have paid up in advance.  Sort of like the muni bus passes we have here. 

In California, it's called FasTrak - it's been set up as a state-wide system. You should see signs about it on every toll bridge around the bay. In Southern California, it's also used to allow non-carpool access to some carpool lanes (usually ones with restricted entrances, like the 15 in San Diego) and toll roads like the 73 in LA and 125 in San Diego. 

Each agency running a FasTrak road administers their own toll collections even though it's a unified pass, and most have some minimum amount of tolls - i.e. if you registered for FasTrak with SANDAG (San Diego), there's a monthly minimum of $4.50 that must be paid on tolls in San Diego. 

Edited by Noah Harbinger

Our newest toll road (Tx 130 with the 85mph speed limit) doesn't have human toll booths.  If you don't have an EZ pass, cameras   :camera: will record your license plate as you pass through the station and mail you a bill.   Back in March, I drove it for the first time in my then two week old CMax with paper dealer tags.    I have never received a bill so was it even mailed?   If so, to the dealer?  Loophole?  :sing_rain:

Edited by fotomoto

In California, it's called FasTrak - it's been set up as a state-wide system. You should see signs about it on every toll bridge around the bay. In Southern California, it's also used to allow non-carpool access to some carpool lanes (usually ones with restricted entrances, like the 15 in San Diego) and toll roads like the 73 in LA and 125 in San Diego. 

Each agency running a FasTrak road administers their own toll collections even though it's a unified pass, and most have some minimum amount of tolls - i.e. if you registered for FasTrak with SANDAG (San Diego), there's a monthly minimum of $4.50 that must be paid on tolls in San Diego. 

With EZ Pass, there's no monthly minimum.  There's a minimum balance of $10 and they add $25 when the balance is below $10.  I actually use it very little, but the convenience is unsurpassed.

With EZ Pass, there's no monthly minimum.  There's a minimum balance of $10 and they add $25 when the balance is below $10.  I actually use it very little, but the convenience is unsurpassed.

The company that ran a new toll road in San Diego initially did not charge a monthly minimum, so I picked up a transponder from them. But they changed their policy about a year later, at which point I promptly returned it. 

Based on the Wiki for the EZ-Pass, it sounds like it's pretty much the same setup: Each of the participating agencies can determine its fee structure, and some agencies in the Northeast Corridor do have monthly minimums and fees. So, be glad you happen to be in one that does not :)

We've gotten billed that way before on TX130.  But we read somewhere recently they're going to change the pricing structure to... um... "highly encourage" people to purchase the EZ Pass.  Your dealer may be scratching their head over an EZ Pass bill they can't indentify!  But that's okay, it should offset that "Gasoline Fee" they charged you when you purchased the vehicle.

Our newest toll road (Tx 130 with the 85mph speed limit) doesn't have human toll booths.  If you don't have an EZ pass, cameras   :camera: will record your license plate as you pass through the station and mail you a bill.   Back in March, I drove it for the first time in my then two week old CMax with paper dealer tags.    I have never received a bill so was it even mailed?   If so, to the dealer?  Loophole?  :sing_rain:

... But we read somewhere recently they're going to change the pricing structure to... um... "highly encourage" people to purchase the EZ Pass. 

In Illinois, cars using EZ Pass (or I-Pass) pay half of what their cash-paying buddies are charged.

"There's a minimum balance of $10 and they add $25 when the balance is below $10."

Off topic, but some might find this interesting.

http://www.wlox.com/story/22175486/consumer-alert-thousands-of-atmos-energy-customers-overcharged

OOPPSS we're SO SORRY we moved the decimal point 1 digit :hysterical: to the right.

Ouch my $30.00 bill turned into $300.00 :drop:

Edited by wab

As others have posted the transponder is for toll roads that can collect tolls electronically. By driving through a toll booth or under an Open Road Tolling sensor, the transponder tells the system to debit your toll account. This allows you to keep driving at highway speeds instead of stopping at a toll booth.

Here in Illinois we have the iPass system. This is compatible with the EZ-Pass system which makes things very handy when driving on the Indiana toll road or the Ohio turnpike. After instituting this electronic system, the Illinois Tollway kept the toll prices the same for iPass users but doubled the tolls for those using cash at toll booths. Of course we were told that the tollways were just temporary...

The transponders typically mount to the windshield using a stick-on fastener that could almost be mistaken for Velcro. I usually position the unit so that my rear view mirror blocks the transponder from my view. Because of the large plastic bezel that comes down from the mirror and that weird grid on the glass, all remaining mounting places are within my line of sight.

After instituting this electronic system, the Illinois Tollway kept the toll prices the same for iPass users but doubled the tolls for those using cash at toll booths. Of course we were told that the tollways were just temporary...

In San Diego we actually had a toll road drop their toll - the San Diego Bay Bridge charged a toll to recoup construction costs. It was left on for a while longer than first promised to cover higher-than-expected maintenance costs, and because the island occupants (a very expensive area) don't really like mainlanders visiting, but the toll eventually disappeared. 

FasTrak, yes I saw that as I entered the Bay Bridge yesterday.  Since I rarely need to cross the bay, I don't see a need for this and when I do I always try to cross in the free direction like I did yesterday.  SF to Oakland is the free direction as is on the GG Bridge from Marin to the City.  GG Bridge I think is well over $5 bucks now but I'm probably wrong.

So far I have my EZPass transponder loose, sitting up on the dash on the rubber mat in front of the clock. (I have an SE, if that makes a difference). It registers fine from there.

I've tried hand-holding it up "where it belongs" centered in the windshield, right up against the roof-line, and thus behind the black mesh. It also seems to register just fine from that position; the mesh doesn't interfere. I'm probably going to mount it there, though I'm a little concerned it will damage the pattern on the windshield if I ever need to remove the mounting strips.

I've read that there are supposed to be underhood mounting options for EZ Pass (think about a classic Corvette convertible) but when I've called the folks at the PA Turnpike they've never known of such an option.

So, I'm still pondering this.

Tim

My EZ pass sits perfectly in front of the CD slot in my SEL. I don't have it mounted, I keep it in the glove box when not travelling on toll roads. (Some people's cars are vandalized to steal these things from the windshields) Maybe I am just a bit paranoid...

I used the velcro strips and mounted it on the drivers side sitting face up on the dash way to the left in that triangle window area. It reads fine from there and is totally out of the way of site lines. In my old Ford Explorer I had them mounted on the windshield and after awhile the velcro glue would come loose and then it would fall off. DozerBob