Tips for Renewing Sirius Radio Subcription

I've had a previous vehicle with Sirius, and it sounded great.  Sirius sounds terrible in the C-MAX.  Even the talk stations sound like AM on a not-so-great day. 

Cell phones have advanced to the point where I can get all the podcasts I could ever want, music exactly as I wish, and even unabridged books of any kind, each for a fair price that just doesn't seem to justify spending even the cheapie Sirius subscription.  It was great when I used to have it, but I think that I have moved on. 

My free trial was supposed to end November 28, but I'll get the freebie until it's done on December 3.  I'll miss some of the news and events related shows, but not enough to pay for it.

• 3 weeks later...

They called me within the week that my free period was to expire.  I said that there was almost certainly no way that I was renewing.  They cut me off the minute that my free period was over, not a second longer.  I didn't even have it working during the little free weekend that just past in the start of December.

I guess that they sensed that there was not hope for me, and wrote me off.

• 1 month later...

Ouch, just remembered two days late to call in and negotiate my renewal.  Result:  1 yr renewal $89 plus fees - $100.13.  My mistake, 'reasonably' happy ending.

Story:  Began with the old free 6 months of course.  When it expired, I negotiated the next 6 months for $29.99 plus fees, about $35, which required an auto-renewal contract.  Did not put Jan 23rd renewal date on my calendar - ARGH. Needed to call in Wednesday the 22nd.  So called in today to see what I would be charged and to plead for mercy.  The charge that went through was 6 months for $136.xx total.  Was offered a full year for "half price" - that being the $89.xx plus fees, total $100.13 - stuck with that.  I will be refunded a credit of $36.00.

Mark your calendars, call in to cancel, renegotiate if you will, but get it lower than me !!!!! 

nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

I need to re-up in the next couple of weeks. 

My free 6 months expired Dec. 7th, I'm surprised I haven't heard from them trying to get me to subscribe.

I am due to expire next month and the started sweating me already.They even sent me a "courtesy message" that interrupted my music, to tell me that my subscription is expiring soon. I like the music and sports channels to much to give it up, so I need to work a deal soon.

When we renewed our Sirius last June , the Sirius rep. told me to be sure to cancel my subscription about a week before it expires as Sirius will automatically renew it at the highest rate if you don't do this.  That is because I used a credit care and they seem to be able to just go ahead and renew automatically.  So I have our calendar marked to cancel a week before it expires so that I can then dicker over price again.

The only downside of the lifetime subscription is that you can only transfer it 3 times, according to Sirius (@ $75 a pop). I thought of moving my lifetime to the C-Max but I'm not sure I won't have more than 2 more new cars in the future.

I have the lifetime script. on a Stiletto portable that has mounts in the boat, the T-Bird, and a Boom box.

Or just wait for them to turn in on for free again - Jan 28 to Feb 10 - see http://www.siriusxm.com/listen8

SiriusXM* Satellite Radio is offering two weeks of complimentary listening to all owners of 2009 model year or later equipped Ford vehicles starting January 28 – February 10. Get details: http://ford.to/M5FXxi     ‪#‎SXM60FREE‬

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an email from Sirius XM Canada offering a life time subscription for $549.00 plus tax.  What do you all think?  Too costly or a good enough deal?  I do love my Sirius radio.

1.  Does it stay alive and transfer when you change cars?

2.Or is it transferrable to a new owner when you sell the car?

If answers are Y to 1 and N to 2 then this would be a better deal the younger you are.

Smiling Jack thanks for replying.  It is transferrable for $75 up to three times if we change cars.  Not sure about it being transferrable to a new owner though.  I would expect we would buy another new car in a year or two.  And that might be it as we are both 65 yrs old.  But who knows what God will hand us eh?

It's almost tempting. No more games to play at renewal time to get the real price. They have some good (and some really bad) content, but something for everybody.

I stopped mine when the trial ended so I couls enjoy the other options. What I found was that every other way to listen to music, except mayme AM, sounds way better than Sirius. That was a surprise. I also found that Sirius works half of the time anyway to try to lure you back. I can hold off for a while.

@Laurel, for a 'select' package Sirius charges $165/year (without any negotiating. YMMV). That figures to just about 3 1/3 years for payback of purchase. If you move it to even one other car you're free and clear @ four years. The reason I originally went with Sirius is that they had the lifetime option and I haven't paid for a monthly fee on that subscription since 2004. I do however have a second subscription on my C-Max. I get a discount for having another sub and for yearly payment.

Edited by MichaelM

I used to love Sirius, but I think that its day has come and gone.  Why listen to what someone else decides?

I use apps for podcasts, and I use Spotify for music; I stream both from my cell phone.  Also, for some reason--maybe the noise cancellation, Sirius sounds terrible in my C-MAX.  I haven't renewed, and I don't plan on doing so.

You're right, ScubaDad; Sirius sounds awful in the CMax. But I don't think it's the noise cancellation. If it were the noise cancellation, FM and MP3s would also sound terrible, yet neither of them do. So it must be that Sirius's signal is just garbage.

That said, I still pay for Sirius anyway, because I can't be bothered choosing what music to listen to. I honestly have no idea what's out there, or really even what I like. I enjoy flipping channels, but I hate commercials. So Sirius works for that. It doesn't sound nearly as good as it should, but it sounds alright enough.

That said, I'd never pay $550 for a lifetime subscription, because I know that I really should switch to Pandora, or Slacker, or basically anything else which selects music for me, because it'll all sound better. Some day I'll do that. For now, Sirius is easier. And they know it, too! They know they're easier, so they can get away with over-charging and under-delivering. But oh well, because at the end of the day, it really IS easier, and I'm lazy.

Edited by CarpeNivem

I had Sirius, and it sounded great in a prior vehicle.  I have nothing against it.  However, it sounds horrible in the C-MAX.  I thought about maybe getting the limited menu option for those very specific Sirius shows that could be worth it, but with the sound as it is, I probably won't ever find that option worthwhile.

Smartphone Apps do what Sirius does but better, except for whatever can only be found on Sirius.

For music, you can do Pandora, Spotify or others.  I don't have to decide, but I can, anytime I want, decide exactly which artist and which song, if I want to be that specific.  If I don't want to decide, I can play the equivalent of radio stations based on genre, artist type or mixed.  At anytime (and for unlimited times), I can skip a song or permanently remove it so that I never have to deal with it again.  There is not one single commercial or announcement, not even to announce a station.

For news related listening, I use Apps like DoggCatcher, which I use for listening to Podcasts and things like NPR shows that I didn't have time to hear.  I can go on Stitcher, and that lets me listen to all kinds of live radio broadcasts.  There is already an App for iPhones that allows you to stream MSNBC, since you asked; the Android version is due out soon.

Like I said, nothing against Sirius.  Let's just say that I don't really have much to be for, either.

Sirius sounds good in our car.  I like it because you have it when you are in areas where radio cannot be received.  However, I haven't bought the lifetime subscription yet do to technical difficulties signing onto the sirius site.  It seems that it can't be done on the phone and my sign in online is not working.  Having a hell of time getting it straightened out as all my online operators speak French as a first language and the communication over technical issues is not so good thus far.  I will try again today.