Ford to Offer Free Updates to Boost Hybrid Vehicle Efficiency

I hope I don't have to wait until September for a SAFETY recall part :rant2: .

Parts should be available before then according to this part of the dealer bulletin:

"To ensure an equitable distribution of service parts, there will be a one-time seed stock of part

number DM5Z-58519C88-B to dealers beginning July 25, 2013. Each dealer will receive parts equal

to approximately 80% of dealer stock vehicles assigned to them on their FSA VIN list."

The dealers are probably going to do the stock vehicles first.

I am not in a big hurry for this recall so the service techs can have plenty of practice doing the procedure.

There are a lot of trim pieces to be removed and wires to be disconnected to drop the headliner so they can install the new parts.

Edited by ceemax71

Parts should be available before then according to this part of the dealer bulletin:

"To ensure an equitable distribution of service parts, there will be a one-time seed stock of part

number DM5Z-58519C88-B to dealers beginning July 25, 2013. Each dealer will receive parts equal

to approximately 80% of dealer stock vehicles assigned to them on their FSA VIN list."

The dealers are probably going to do the stock vehicles first.

I am not in a big hurry for this recall so the service techs can have plenty of practice doing the procedure.

There are a lot of trim pieces to be removed and wires to be disconnected to drop the headliner so they can install the new parts.

There may be a lot of stuff up there, but my tech said it would be a 1.5hr job...

There may be a lot of stuff up there, but my tech said it would be a 1.5hr job...

That's what I find a little worrisome.

Make sure you check everything related to wiring in the headliner after the procedure.

Antenna cable

Rain Sensor

Rear washer

Dimming mirror

Overhead console

Lighting

Sunshade garage door opener

Edited by ceemax71

robitalle,even at 70mph your driving style will not match the EPA testing so you can expect to see lower mpgs. lower your speed to 65 or 62 and you will see a greater improvement but we realize you have to go with the flow of traffic offer law.this is why the EPA test needs to be updated to match more real world environments in a hybrid not just a regular gas car.

The past week, I've been taking my wife to work & bringing her home, on those trips I am averaging only 2 gallons round trip, while the trip average is 39.5-42 MPG. It just depends on which of the 3 routes I take. The majority of the highway driving is on a 4 lane farm access highway so we do have to contend with farm traffic as well. There is some 2 lane highway driving as well (speed limit there is 55-65 MPH depending on what's posted.

I know that the pillar covers come off pretty easy and I would suspect that they only need to pull the headliner away to perform the service, but I am no Ford tech.

I don't have half those things in my SE, but thanks for the heads up.

I will be looking for:

Antenna cable (by tuning the radio, I guess?)

Rear washer (by making sure it squirts?)

Overhead Lighting (by opening the doors and/ or playing with the overhead buttons?)

I went in to my dealership today, to see about getting an appointment scheduled to have 13B07 done. Unfortunately none of the SAs knew anything about it (my regular SA was not in). So it looks as if I'll have to do a hurry up & wait. I did send an e-mail to my SA but likely won't get a response till tomorrow.

Mine is at the dealer now having all the updates done. The SA said they would try to finish them today. I sure hope so as I am driving an Altima, 2012 I guess. No room in the drivers seat at all and I bump my head every time I get in and out. I sure hope every thing works right when I get it back as I had very few minor problems before. The SA said this was the second one and the first one took 4 and a half hours but every thing went well and no problems. He also said they might have to order parts for the recall but about half the ones for the recall met specs and did not need any thing done so I could have another visit to the dealer.

Charles

My update is complete and I ran 70+ on EV. Can't tell any different yet other than the higher EV mode. I reset my mpg monitor and will see what happens. I'm averaging around 44/45 mpg in the city and 38/39 mpg at speeds around 65/70. My life time is 40.5 mpg and wasn't reset.  

They had to order the headliner stuff and will contact me when ready.

Rick

My first 38 mile trip to work after the update this morning - about 1/2 of it highway and 1/2 county/city roads. was going 70+ mph on battery  for a couple of miles and got an overall 48.4 mpg (without hard trying) - the best for me so far for this trip. I guess the only difference I could tell was the over 62 mph on battery and the better gas milleage at the end. I guess time will tell....

My first 38 mile trip to work after the update this morning - about 1/2 of it highway and 1/2 county/city roads. was going 70+ mph on battery  for a couple of miles and got an overall 48.4 mpg (without hard trying) - the best for me so far for this trip. I guess the only difference I could tell was the over 62 mph on battery and the better gas milleage at the end. I guess time will tell....

You are telling us that you are able to run 2 miles on just EV alone at 70mph? Please confirm...as based on my driving with the 3.1.3 (pre PCIM update of 3.5.1), this was barely manageable at 60 mph in EV for 2 miles and SOC was about 70% down to 40% at end.... :headscratch:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Just returned from dealer and the second attempt to do the update. Worked this time. Dealer told me he drove the car at 75 in EV. I was able to get up to 70 for awhile in EV on the way home. As predicted, lost the EV+ settings, but I started the car 11 times in the driveway to restore. Didn't notice too much difference on the trip home (about 12 miles), but got 47 mpg without trying except juicing the car up to 70ish to test things out a couple of times. We're going on a 700 mile drive to NJ on Sunday. Last time we made that trip up I-81 I got 42. Lots of hills, so to repeat the drive should be interesting with the new software. I'm looking forward to seeing what differences occur.

Dealer also told me he had the stuff to do the headliner recall and I've made an appt. for that in August. I'll report on my trip results.

Dropped off this morning, and our C-Max is now ready for take off at 1:15 (pick-up that is). Three update tri-fecta: 3.5.1, liftgate & 13B07 (FE), and no troubles reported.

Trifecta!  I love it.  We dropped our SEL off this afternoon to have the same 3 updates done (in Durham NC) tomorrow. 

Interestingly, after very few glitches over 8 months and 11,000+ miles, our nav system stopped speaking to us a few days ago.

Sorry to hear your nav is giving you the cold shoulder Dave of Durham. 

By the way....I miss Durham.  Lived there for years, then in Rougemont for a few years.  A change of seasons would be a lovely change of pace from the land of eternal blistering hot summer.

I'm scheduled to pick up my new SEL tomorrow with the 2 recall/upgrades completed: 13C02 and 13B07. It's been sitting in the dealership for 3 weeks waiting on the parts. I read on the forum today that some of you were getting the headliners fixed, so I called the service dept. directly and found out the parts were in... my SA was off for a few days, but another SA got it in the shop and I'm picking it up tomorrow. I'm stoked.... it's been a long, patient wait. SEL 302A Ice Storm...SWEEET!

Well, I got the 13B07 and 13C02 updates installed today.  It took two hours.  I was lucky--the service adviser told me that they received a new shipment of the components for the 13C02 (headliner fix) recall just last night, so they were able to proceed with that.  He told me it involved installing some more sound-deadening material in the headliner which will provide extra cushioning should one ever experience a rollover.

Unfortunately, it is raining cats-and-dogs today, so I won't be able to test the 13B07 upgrade to see if I can stay in EV mode at much higher highway speeds.  I am keeping my fingers crossed--my lifetime mpg is currently at 38.4.  I really, really, want to get into at least the low 40's in order to feel that my faith in buying the C-Max was justified.