Ford to Offer Free Updates to Boost Hybrid Vehicle Efficiency

@CassidyB - It's not strange, thats the way Eric runs the page. Other stuff has dissappeared too while he leaves the moronic kbf and kenneth cho postings. Damn, after the time I spent writing about going EV from 62 to 85 too. You can't have any serious discussions on these FB pages, its a coffee house that doesn't sell coffee..."hey look at my shiny new CMax"...."hey do you think the aliens found anything in Adair's  "CMax ad".... :lol2:  & :headspin:

We now return you back to your normal channel.... ;)

Any time the update is mentioned on the ford cmax Facebook page, it disappears... Strange......

When I look at posts by others, and click the "see all", I can see the stuff about the new upgrade. I see my question about if it will be built into our car. I even see you saying this in response to someone asking about the update.

Personally, I hope that this upgrade as well as 3.5.1 are built into our car, been waiting 2 days for dealer to verify if it is. I really would rather avoid having the dealer do it. 

Our car was supposed to be built yesterday(7/18), but I don't know if it was. :gaah:

Edited by slampro

When I look at posts by others, and click the "see all", I can see the stuff about the new upgrade. I see my question about if it will be built into our car. I even see you saying this in response to someone asking about the update.

Personally, I hope that this upgrade as well as 3.5.1 are built into our car, been waiting 2 days for dealer to verify if it is. I really would rather avoid having the dealer do it. 

Our car was supposed to be built yesterday(7/18), but I don't know if it was. :gaah:

3.5.1 started rolling out of the Factory sometime in February.  So it's in your car.

As to the FE update, I don't know.

3.5.1 started rolling out of the Factory sometime in February.  So it's in your car.

As to the FE update, I don't know.

I figured 3.5.1 would be there, thanks to this forum. But the sad fact is, the dealer doesn't know. :doh:

The FE update, Alan at Ford(facebook) said it would be. Eric at Ford(facebook) said he was unsure. My dealer doesn't know...which surprised the hell outta me.... :lol:

I was scared when I first took them the Escape hybrid a few years ago. But as long as I coach them, (they know to listen), they have done good service(well except for when they had a towing company flatbed ram our hatch when in for service). I am going to be weary when they touch the Cmax too. And believe it or not, this is the good dealership in this city.

Edited by slampro

Regarding High ICE mode: My speed is 55 to 57 mph driving to and from work, approx 47 miles. I typically enter High ICE  3 to 4 times each way. All you need is a relatively flat section of road and a kilowatt demand slightly higher than EV  threshold. The only difference after the update is you be able to achieve it at 65 to 67 or possibly 75 to 77.  I'm no hypermiler, my lifetime is 46.6, but of my near 10,000 miles only about 3400 are EV miles.  I have gotten, though briefly, as high as 60+ mpg in High ICE at 55 mph. I know it was 60+ because the little "+" sign next to the 60 turned white.

for those who will be getting the update how will you be testing your Mpg numbers before and after to ensure a fair comparison.

for those who won't update right away what will you need to get to know when it's "safe" to update.

what if the dealer forces you to get the FE update when they do the Sync 3.6 update? or apply it without you knowing when you go in for MFT 3.6?

Edited by salsaguy

DFSO only happens when the speed is too fast for the ICE to turn off. On the C-Max and FFH this only happens when the car is going more than 62 MPH and the throttle is released. I've verified that this does happen through Engineering Test Mode and the Fuel Counts screen on there. On the older Ford hybrids with lower thresholds for requiring the ICE to stay on this came in to play more than it does now.

This is weird as I have been able to get EV only while going over 62 but it was down a hill. It was a steep hill and I was going over 70 with the ICE off.

This just popped up on OASIS:

Jul 19 2013 6363 -Announcing Awareness Communication - Upcoming Customer Satisfaction Program 13B07

Awareness Communication - Upcoming Customer Satisfaction Program 13B07 Certain 2013 Model Year C-MAX, Fusion, and MKZ Hybrid Vehicles Fuel Economy Improvement - Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Calibration.

This just popped up on OASIS:

Jul 19 2013 6363 -Announcing Awareness Communication - Upcoming Customer Satisfaction Program 13B07

Awareness Communication - Upcoming Customer Satisfaction Program 13B07 Certain 2013 Model Year C-MAX, Fusion, and MKZ Hybrid Vehicles Fuel Economy Improvement - Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Calibration.

Notice how they qualify the update instructions with "Certain", indicating some 2013 C-Max(s) already have the update installed?

Edited by darrelld

Notice how they qualify the update instructions with "Certain", indicating some 2013 C-Max(s) already have the update installed?

That surprises me since this article says ...

"Ford will make software updates to new cars and send out letters to existing owners in late July, asking them to bring their cars in to dealerships for the updates in August."

When I took my car in for the (SYNC problem) today, I asked about the update. One of the SAs said * I talked to another owner today and told them ....why be a guinea pig? If you're happy with your MPGs, let someone else go first.*

Nuff said for me.

It always amazes me that car dealerships are always the last to hear about any updates, releases or improvements on current model year cars!  Why is that?  I asked my dealership why they didn't monitor blogs like this one to keep tuned into what their customers are talking/complaining about and I never really got a good answer.  It just makes common sense to me that if a dealership truly valued providing superior customer service, they would do that but, they don't seem to see the ROI benefit or want to take the time to do it!   With today's technology there are no longer any excuses why all of their people are not aware of every update/release that is made seconds after it is made!   If they were really serious about providing excellent customer service, they would do it, it is just that simple! JMHO

It always amazes me that car dealerships are always the last to hear about any updates, releases or improvements on current model year cars!  Why is that?  I asked my dealership why they didn't monitor blogs like this one to keep tuned into what their customers are talking/complaining about and I never really got a good answer.  It just makes common sense to me that if a dealership truly valued providing superior customer service, they would do that but, they don't seem to see the ROI benefit or want to take the time to do it!   With today's technology there are no longer any excuses why all of their people are not aware of every update/release that is made seconds after it is made!   If they were really serious about providing excellent customer service, they would do it, it is just that simple! JMHO

I agree. Since they announced this update, I have been trying to find out if it was going to be included on our car built on 7/19. I asked on the C Max facebook page. Alan from Ford said yes, as of that day it was being done in factory. Well, that's all well and good...BUT....In a private conversation with Eric from Ford, he says he is unsure if it will make it in on my build. He advised me to ask the dealer. On Friday I asked the dealer. The dealer had no clue what I was talking about. Said he never heard of such an update. Even though it had been in the news for 2 or 3 days prior. He said he would check on it, and I still have not gotten an answer. Also on Friday I sent FordService twitter the same question. They advised me to ask my dealer. After telling them 3 times that my dealer had no idea what it even was, they are unable to confirm or negate what Alan has said. I have no idea if it will have it or not, and neither does anybody I can get a hold of at Ford. Seems disorganized to me.

The bulletin for the free FE update was sent to dealers today.

This is part of what is in the bulletin:

SUBJECT: Customer Satisfaction Program 13B07 Certain 2013 Model Year C-MAX, Fusion, and MKZ Hybrid Vehicles Fuel Economy Improvement - Powertrain Control Module Calibration

PROGRAM TERMS: This program will be in effect through August 31, 2014. There is no mileage limit for this program.

AFFECTED VEHICLES

Assembly Plant Year and Model Build Dates

Michigan Assembly Plant 2013 C-MAX Job #1 through July 8, 2013

Hermosillo Assembly Plant 2013 Fusion Job #1 through July 16, 2013

Hermosillo Assembly Plant 2013 MKZ Job #1 through July 16, 2013

REASON FOR THIS PROGRAM: An improved Powertrain Control Module calibration is now available that will reduce the amount of gasoline engine running time under certain driving conditions, thus reducing fuel consumption. Calibration updates include control system enhancements for a variety of driving conditions on the highway, during short trips, and while using the climate control system. Enhancements designed to improve customer satisfaction include:

• Increasing the maximum pure electric speed to 85 mph from 62 mph, allowing increased use of electric-only mode on the highway

• Optimizing the use of Active Grille Shutters to reduce aerodynamic drag under more driving and temperature conditions including cold weather, during air conditioner use, and when the engine coolant temperature is higher

• Reducing the electric fan speed as a function of coolant temperature to minimize the fan’s energy consumption

• Shortening engine warm-up time to enable electric-only driving and engine shutdown at stops sooner after cold starts

• Optimizing the climate control system to minimize use of the air conditioning compressor and reduce the energy used in cold weather operation

The resulting fuel economy improvements associated with these calibration changes are dependent

upon the conditions in which the owner operates the vehicle.

SERVICE ACTION: Dealers are to reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to the latest IDS software level. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

Edited by ceemax71

"• Optimizing the climate control system to minimize use of the air conditioning compressor and reduce the energy used in cold weather operation"

Can this modification cause inside moisture problems when using the defroster to keep the windshield clean?