Recall 13B07: The Guinea Pig Thread

11StiLimited

I use my car essentially for back and forth to work each day - which is 30 miles each way, mostly freeway speeds.  Depending on wind, temperature and how much of a hurry I am in, I have consistently gotten between 40-42mpg on these trips.  I do very little running around in town - partly because when I'm at work, I'm generally working through my lunch stuffing down a pb&j at my desk and when I'm home, well I'm nowhere near a town!  The update should show pretty quickly if there will be improvement or not.  Clearing my phone so I can snap photos and post.

I think there are just way too many electrical components for us non-engineers to fully understand.  So many things in this car are tied to SYNC, the hybrid powertrain, the clusters, etc.  Each one of these systems are very complex, leaving us to wonder about these odd occurrences.  Seeing as the PCM controlled all those things in the update (and I am sure more), it is not too surprising that weird things like this happen.  It is odd to me that the 1 part of the lifetime summary would be effected and not another, but hey, what do I know, lol.

Caution to all going for the PCM update. Mine was supposedly done today, but as noted above do not see the effect in EV use above 62-63 mph. Took it back to dealer, and they said they need to coordinate with Ford Engineering. Service Director assures it was done. they put me in a free rental in the meantime. Point is...test it out one you get it done, to ensure there is not some bug other than in my apparent case. 

Caution to all going for the PCM update. Mine was supposedly done today, but as noted above do not see the effect in EV use above 62-63 mph. Took it back to dealer, and they said they need to coordinate with Ford Engineering. Service Director assures it was done. they put me in a free rental in the meantime. Point is...test it out one you get it done, to ensure there is not some bug other than in my apparent case. 

So, your service ticket showed the same info as mine, but it doesn't seem to have taken to the car?  I would wonder about the legitimacy of my dealer's service department, if that was the case.

I made an appt today to bring our C-Max in later this week for the MFT and liftgate (one kick) upates.  I asked about the PCM upate and was told they would not have the software until August 1. 

Some dealers have it now and some don't?

I asked about the headliner and ws told they would order the parts.

I just sent an Email to my dealer to schedule a service for both recalls and two other minor issues.  As soon as I get it completed I will post up my thoughts.  As my daily commute is mostly highway (>65mph speed limit) I should be a good indicator of how this will affect highway mileage.

Someone should do a baseline run at 65 and 70 mph with the pre-update in the same temps, report back the stats and then do the same run after the update and see the real world FE improvements.

11Sti - I guess you can confirm we lost the ICE High MPG then....

How many miles would be a sufficient run?  I'll be having mine done tomorrow.  

The second attempt to re-program the PCM took...was called about 3 hours after leaving in the rental, that their second effort was successful. Asked if they road-tested it this time, and answer was yes. Picked up car and the 23 mile trip home mpg was 46.8...driving about 65% Interstate at 65-75. Working as advertised...let off pedal at 63+ and EV goes on. Also, once stopped, and turned off, the fan does not run near as long. FYI, the same trip after the first attempt earlier today recorded 39.7 mpg. And temp was hotter, and more head wind. Best advice I can again offer is to test it out at 62+mpg before leaving the dealer area. This was the first car they attempted, maybe just bad luck. 

I would say about at least 5 to 10 miles - you call it - as long as you do the same entry to exit over the same stretch of freeway. Use your Trip 2 computer and reset cycle as needed for each run. Thanks for volunteering  :)

I would say about at least 5 to 10 miles - you call it - as long as you do the same entry to exit over the same stretch of freeway. Use your Trip 2 computer and reset cycle as needed for each run. Thanks for volunteering  :)

Do 10 miles minimum (10 out, 10 back)  because the difference in state of charge of the battery can significantly affect FE over shorter distances.  If you could take pics of trip 2 to show battery level at the beginning and end of a run, that will help in assessing the effect of a change in SOC.

Also, my headliner and PCM recalls were completed in 4 hours with no issues.  There's no question that full EV operates up to at least 70 mph (fastest speed I tested).  In about 25 miles of driving with Eco Cruise set at 70 mph with GPS, the HEV system operated much like it does when under 63 mph.  The battery level went up and down and appeared to not go above about 75%.  There was definitely more EV assist at 70 mph (frequency and level) than prior to the update. 

I plan to.  When I made my appointment to get the FE update I asked about the headliner recall and got a lot of "um...uh...well.....uh...".  But when I got home tonight, there was a message on my home machine saying they had the parts and could give me a loaner car if I called back by 6PM.  Since I was still at work at 6PM, I sort of missed that deadline.  I'd like to get both done at the same time, but if they don't have a loaner car for me, I can't wait around for both fixes and will have to wait on the headliner.

Hopefully tomorrow I will have an update for you guys on both the FE update and the headliner fix.....with pictures.

11Sti - it looks like your route is pretty much set. Go to work, Go to lunch, go to dinner, go home. So it may be more meaningful if you placed a pre-update and post-update change next to each other so we can see an apples to apples comparison. Jus a thought...

Great idea :)

I can do the "work, lunch, happy hour, home" cycle.  I know I have a previously saved day with just those stops.  I can line them up against today's data.

Edited by 11StiLimited

Great idea :)

I can do the "work, lunch, happy hour, home" cycle.  I know I have a previously saved day with just those stops.  I can line them up against today's data.

I am not going to happy hour today, but I will drive to the restaurant, kill the engine, start again and drive the rest of the way home, so we can have a SBS comparison.