Recall 13B07: The Guinea Pig Thread

11StiLimited

OK, you guys are talking way above my head. What would be normal RPMs? Because sometimes I feel like my car is straining when climbing hills....and I never looked at the RPMs before the update to know what is *normal*. (Remember, this is a grandma who knew how to fill up the car, put it in drive, and go, and that's about it, before the CMAX.)

Well, I would say if you want to feel the difference first hand, find a long steady downhill, and turn on Grade Assist (that little lever on the shifter). If I understand correctly, it should rev up right away if the battery is full. When I did it, it revved up to 4500 RPM. 

A normal car cruising at a steady speed on flat land would probably run 1500-2500RPM, depending on the speed and how the car is designed. 

Going uphill is a different story. Because of the CVT, the RPMs and loudness of the engine could wind up anywhere, based on what the computer thinks it should do. But even still I don't think I've seen the RPMs above 3500RPM even under the heaviest of loads. 

Also, I wonder if the unusual engine type makes it sound "wheezy", which makes it sound like it's working harder than it is. 

I am still mixed up. I sense the city driving to work is the same but the trip coming home - I know I am 2 mpg short each time. I drive this route since my 800 tanks so I have a good sense and its low MPG right now. I cannot put a finger on why...is it I me as I tweak the charge/recharge cycles or Maxine, or the traffic. Mind you, it still 61 MPG total for the day and above but I need to be 62+ to break the 800 mile tank again. I'll keep exploring...right now I am floating to a NO-BENEFIT side of the 13b07 update when it comes to City driving...

As far as city driving goes, almost all my driving (90-95%) is city driving and short trips.  I saw a 2 mpg increase since the update.  It took a little tweeking of my SOC usage, but I pretty much am getting that 2 mpg increase over the entire tank since the update.  I have done no concrete research on how, but I know this 600+ tank netted about 2 mpg more according to Fuelly than my last 600+ tank.

Just got my baby back  last night from the Attorney Generals Office. They had Ford fix the update that was messed up.

Everything working great. Drives nice again. Flipped to the coach screen. Braking full bar BLUE  -  Cruising 1/4 bar YELLOW  -  Accelerating Less than 1/4 RED from the messed up update. On the drive home Braking still full bar BLUE  -  Acceleration a little over 1/2 BLUE  -  Cruising 3/4 bar BLUE. The engine's RPM's are back to normal and getting better. Got 48.7 mpg going home and nice and quiet again. (30 miles 70 mph)

My drive to work  before update was averaging 50 + - 54.3 best. With the messed up update It dropped to 32-35 mpg. This morning 33.6 miles ( 30 at 70mph 3 on city streets and the .6 at 55mph from home to the exit.) 57.9MPG. :happy feet: 

New Record for me. My baby is back !!!!! :wub2: 

They wouldn't tell me what they did to fix it. I was hoping to pass it on to everyone.

Definitely, I'm glad it's fixed! It sucks that they wouldn't do it without you pulling in the government to strong-arm them. 

My dealer says nothing was wrong. I knew they were full of it. It sure runs nice now. I work for the state and deal with a lot of people in differant agencies through my job. So after all else failed I consulted someone at the AG's office to see what to do next. Mike DeWine is looking to run again so he is always trying to get his name in the news. Might have heard about the Stubenville rape case. The court settled the case and then the AG's office went in and investigated the teachers to see if they knew anything. I think just to get his name out there.

On the drive in I was noticing it going into EV for a couple miles then back to ICE a few miles over and over again. I was watching my lifetime average going up also. Started at 45.2 and by the time I got to work (33.6 miles) it was 45.8, a .6 increase. I've seen it drop that fast but never go up this fast before. They must have done something right at Ford this time.

Finally happy with the update.  :yahoo:

Glad to see your issues resolved JohnnOhio.  Your lifetime numbers are very good, and recent trips extremely good.  For it to move from 45.2 to 45.8 in one trip must mean low miles in your 'lifetime'.  We are 4,000 some odd miles odometer and lifetime, and get barely a 0.1 notch change on any trip now. 

I don't think we have necessarily seen the end to MPG updates myself, just me speculating - yikes on both counts?  Even though most of us 'felt' that the car was 'better' before the update, it is likely an overall improvement.  I perceived our car was a bit smoother before (& peppier?), but not likely.  I have had a couple occasions since the update where I felt it difficult to drop out of the ICE, and think it was exercising too much 'control'.  In hind sight, I have to remind myself that the ICE needs to run at certain times and that perhaps I am too EV greedy.  Anyway, it still seems that minor tweaking of the system may still be in order.  Hmmm, perhaps I am asking too much out of the car, assuming the ICE/EV algorithms need to work in such climatic and geographic extremes.  It is a challenged, sophisticated system (& our expectations tend to creep up).

Better luck going forward,

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

Glad to see your issues resolved JohnnOhio.  Your lifetime numbers are very good, and recent trips extremely good.  For it to move from 45.2 to 45.8 in one trip must mean low miles in your 'lifetime'.  We are 4,000 some odd miles odometer and lifetime, and get barely a 0.1 notch change on any trip now. 

I don't think we have necessarily seen the end to MPG updates myself, just me speculating - yikes on both counts?  Even though most of us 'felt' that the car was 'better' before the update, it is likely an overall improvement.  I perceived our car was a bit smoother before, but not likely.  I have had couple occasions since the update where I felt it difficult to drop out of the ICE, and think it was exercising too much 'control'.  In hind sight, I have to remind myself that the ICE needs to run at certain times and that perhaps I am too EV greedy.  Anyway, it still seams that minor tweaking of the system may still be in order.  Hmmm, perhaps I am asking too much out of the car, assuming the ICE/EV algorithms need to work in such climatic and geographic extremes.  It is a challenged, sophisticated system (& our expectations tend to creep up).

Better luck going forward,

Nick

I'm with you. I liked the way my car was before the update. I was doing great on mileage, but they did mess up my update. My car went from 45-47 mpg on the highway to 25-30mpg. The ICE was screaming at 3,000 to 5,000 rpms on the freeway. Could hardly hear the radio over the sound of the engine noise and to have the dealership check it out and tell me nothing was wrong ticked me off. Now that she's running right again the update seems ok. A little loss of power but I understand thats how they got the mileage up. I got a letter to have the MFT updated. I'm afraid to have them mess with the programing again. I'm hoping that while Ford had my car for the update mess that they went on and updated the MFT also. Anyone know how I can check?

JohnnOhio, I'm convinced that your issue had to do with the 'gearing' / 'gearbox' / CVT, and certainly hope it was unique.  Somehow the 'update' misfired and scrambled the 'gearing' intelligence, and had you stuck in a 'low gear' range, inspite of always being in 'D'. 

My closest encounter was a week or so ago when I left the house and drove an uphill route away.  I was happily in ICE for 2 or 3 blocks and turned a corner where I usually drop it into EV - and it refused to go, tried again, slowed down and no luck.  Then I noticed I had it in L - eeek on me!

It is indeed scary to think that the updates can go so very wrong.  (I'm paranoid now that my update is only 98% correct, sure hope the system checks/diagnostics are reliable)

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

...the MPG up and downs continued today, 63.4 total for the day. Yesterday was 61.2. I also checked the tire pressure...they were at 39 psi. Obviously Galpin, as part of the service also checked the tires and -that- may explain my poor MPG lately. So I pumped them to 45psi this evening after letting the tires cool down in the evening. We shall see...fingers crossed.

...the MPG up and downs continued today, 63.4 total for the day. Yesterday was 61.2. I also checked the tire pressure...they were at 39 psi. Obviously Galpin, as part of the service also checked the tires and -that- may explain my poor MPG lately. So I pumped them to 45psi this evening after letting the tires cool down in the evening. We shall see...fingers crossed.

Here in MD, I have to worry about icy and/ or snow covered roads when winter comes.  Uneven tire wear will greatly reduce traction come those winter months.

Aren't you concerned about tire wear and overall wet traction with the reduced tire footprint?  I won't say ice/ snow for you since you live in SoCal ;)

Here in MD, I have to worry about icy and/ or snow covered roads when winter comes.  Uneven tire wear will greatly reduce traction come those winter months.

Aren't you concerned about tire wear and overall wet traction with the reduced tire footprint?  I won't say ice/ snow for you since you live in SoCal ;)

Nope. No Ice until I drive to Mammoth and even then my psi was still high, no issues with traction even with the cable off. Tires are rotated every 5K...if you keep this routine up, you'll reduce your chance for uneven wear unless there is a defect in the wheel which you tire guy should see immediately, if they are any good.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Same here.  I will drive my 4x4 truck when the ice and snow are on the roads, so not worried about the C Max tires

Finally got the Max back to dealer to see if 13B07 would update, last time they had issues and needed to wait for an update to their Diagnostic system.

Will see how mileage is affected, and if any performance difference is experienced.

I recently have done several hundred miles of highway driving, lifetime mileage dropped due to driving at 70+ mph w A/C running.

Good luck to all.  Hope there are no more updates for a while

I'm only 1/2 through my 2nd tank of gas since getting the update. I had an average of 41.5 MPG, and reset it it to see what it it would settle out at.

So far its holding steady at 46 MPG and the total fuel history has inched up to 41.9. I think it'll probably settle out to around 45 or 45.5 mpg once a few tanks are through it.

typically, I'd be lucky to much over 500 miles to a tank of gas, and now it seems like it will easily get closer to 550 at tank, but I need to run a few more tanks through it to see what its averaging.

mbedit, good to hear the results are moving upward.

I ran some errands last night which included about 9 miles of freeway driving, getting into EV at 72 was different, but my overall mileage for the trip of about 15 miles was in the low 50's.  A/C running, etc.

If I can do that around the city, I am good!

Wow! I am very surprised with what the Cmax can achieve! The engineers did n interesting job (partially - later on I will describe why) - the car is like a sweet-surprise one!

Yesterday I was literally speeding on NJ-x East and then on the I-x South - I could not believe my eyes when I saw 44.0 MPG on average.

Today I drove up north - when driving slowly - the AVG figures dropped (down to 39.9!). Then I went to Hackensack, NJ and returned home along with with many football-game fans - they were all speeding in their Cayennes and in their Chargers and even in their old Civics. 

When I got back home I saw 45.8 MPG from my last trip (speeds from 35 to x0 mph!) Jeez-Louise! That is really interesting!

BUT: the GPS is not working - I am going for the Lemon Law this week. I am fed up with it. And this is where the engineers did not do their best.

PS: I picked up the car yesterday. It was their 7th repair in 4 months, the 2nd 13B07 attempt, the "I-do-not-really-know-but-at-least-their-5th" attempt to fix the GPS.

Edited by pjurek99

Okay, so I've been "upgraded" too and I also give it a big thumbs down. I'm not experiencing cabin noise, but it definitely revs much higher before shifting and my mileage went back to the cellar -- 37 mpg on a trip I used to get mid-50s on. To achieve this fabulous milestone, I'm not using A/C, and no other power suck. I used to shift gears when ICE was no higher than the second hash mark, and now it needs to rev higher than the 3rd to shift! It's flat where I live so I can't comment on hill climbing. FWIW, my dealer says that the CMax is not selling in this area, but he's moving Focuses like hotcakes. Go figure.

Which view is it that actually shows the RPM? Anyone?

Paint me unhappy. Oh, yeah-- did anybody happen to see this gem? More egg on CMax face!  http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto/ugliest-cars.aspx

PS - Forgot to mention that my service department claims that Ford has settled the mgp class action suit, and the remediation for all CMax owners is twofold: (regardless of if you formally joined the suit)

Extend the MFT warranty (MFT only)

A cash rebate (no amount provided)

Did anyone else hear about this? Can someone validate this?

I promise this is my last post on this topic! I was apparently too steamed about my lousy performance post-upgrade to do a simple google search: $550 for 2013 owners and $325 if you leased one. I wonder if I am eligible since I purchased this as the second owner from a dealership? Anyone?

http://www.topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/4805-ford-issues-goodwill-payments-to-c-max-hybrid-customers

Okay, so I've been "upgraded" too and I also give it a big thumbs down. I'm not experiencing cabin noise, but it definitely revs much higher before shifting and my mileage went back to the cellar -- 37 mpg on a trip I used to get mid-50s on. To achieve this fabulous milestone, I'm not using A/C, and no other power suck. I used to shift gears when ICE was no higher than the second hash mark, and now it needs to rev higher than the 3rd to shift! It's flat where I live so I can't comment on hill climbing. FWIW, my dealer says that the CMax is not selling in this area, but he's moving Focuses like hotcakes. Go figure.

Which view is it that actually shows the RPM? Anyone?

Paint me unhappy. Oh, yeah-- did anybody happen to see this gem? More egg on CMax face!  http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto/ugliest-cars.aspx

Sorry to hear your upgrade did not go well. 

RPM is available as one of the choices on the right half of My View.

What does bankrate.com know about car styling?  I don't know, but I don't think they know much about the C-Max.