Navigation package satisfaction?

lpr

Just got my car back from the Dealer.  I had the Three Update Recalls done and my second run with GPS Issues.  They Updated the GPS Computer Program, Tested and returned.

I am enjoying the updates, in that my cold weather Mileage has already improved by 3 MPGs and seem to be increasing.  My GPS is another matter.  It has decided to head off on it's own and lock on parallel streets and have try to do the acrobatic U-turns.  Caled my Dealer this morning and found out three other C-maxes also have the same problem and the issue is now with the Engineers at Ford.  Interested in hearing that outcome.

Other then the GPS and SYNC in general I really do like my C-Max.  I had 8 Months of Dealer hell with my 2003 F-250 Diesel when I bought that home, and once Ford fixed all of the issues I ended up keeping it for 10 Years, and 244,000 miles of fun filled Driving Enjoyment.  I can only hope right now.

Thats dissappointing to hear. The wayward GPS is a very, very old issue - see Post #21 for the link to the thread where several of us here had Ford replace the GPS component and WALLAH, life's good.

I wonder if this is a quality issue with these GPS components - not everyone has this issue and those that do, always, by replacing the component, it seems to resolve the issue...unless you're pjurek (sorry mate).

Mine does same as Red Twin above.  Was told that they were aware of the problem.  GPS is useless in big city traffic when you really need it.  Buy a Garmin or Tom Tom and save yourself the money and frustration.

I did consider that before I decided on the SEL and in the end, I :wub2:  the MFT, kwerks, twerks and all :dance:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Mine does same as Red Twin above.  Was told that they were aware of the problem.  GPS is useless in big city traffic when you really need it.  Buy a Garmin or Tom Tom and save yourself the money and frustration.

Just got my car back from the Dealer.  I had the Three Update Recalls done and my second run with GPS Issues.  They Updated the GPS Computer Program, Tested and returned.

I am enjoying the updates, in that my cold weather Mileage has already improved by 3 MPGs and seem to be increasing.  My GPS is another matter.  It has decided to head off on it's own and lock on parallel streets and have try to do the acrobatic U-turns.  Caled my Dealer this morning and found out three other C-maxes also have the same problem and the issue is now with the Engineers at Ford.  Interested in hearing that outcome.

Other then the GPS and SYNC in general I really do like my C-Max.  I had 8 Months of Dealer hell with my 2003 F-250 Diesel when I bought that home, and once Ford fixed all of the issues I ended up keeping it for 10 Years, and 244,000 miles of fun filled Driving Enjoyment.  I can only hope right now.

That's pretty strange and must be a specific issue on a few units.  I've never had any problems with the GPS in large cities.  Use the GPS in Toronto all the time and just recently I used it in Chicago and New York without any problems.  It did a good job of estimating position and recalculating when I entered and exited tunnels.

Maybe there is a component malfunction?  Hopefully they resolve your issues soon!

• 1 month later...

Last Wednesday I picked my C-Max again. 

They put a note on an invoice that stated there was an error in the memory.

In the beginning it was very precise.

Then - on Friday - it got lost again.

And they never replaced my GPS thing - only the antenna although they before they had said they had replaced the GPS system. 

Want to schedule the 12th appointment. I have bought a small basket to keep the work orders and the invoices.

BTW: It was cold before - the MPG was about 25-30. Now it is cold again - I can easily average 35 MPG. But really easily.

pjurek99

If they did not replace the GPS module, then that's the problem.  I had NAV problems right from the beginning (DEC 2012) but after they replaced the module in spring of 2013, the NAV worked great.  We drove 6,000 to Montana and back and it this summer and the NAV never failed us.

• 4 weeks later...

SYNC/MYFORD TOUCH/NAVIGATION have been working ok since last update, no crash etc.

Notice I didn’t include “voice command”

We actually needed voice command for navigation on a trip to Dallas Ft. Worth International Airport due to all the construction in the area.

We were going to the Hyatt Regency hotel located inside the airport.

Gave up on that at the house using the touch screen,

couldn’t enter the address.

Hyatt Regency DFW International Airport

2334 North International Parkway, P.O. Box 619014

DFW Airport, Texas, USA, 75261”

As we drove we tried voice command just to get us inside the airport…worse.

Here’re the commands we used

Navigation

Destination POI

Category

Travel

Nearby

Saying any of the displayed commands (see picture) would NOT work.

Is it our nav or are ALL of them like this?

Thanks

For any and all help

wab

post-554-0-07654400-1393298067_thumb.jpg

Actually we have experienced two fairly consistent problem areas with voice commands.  The first one is using "nearby".  It rarely works to use that word instead of city.  The other is choosing poi categories.  I don't think we have ever had much luck with categories.  Ours works super well with giving the city and the address.  But it seems to me it comes unglued with the category list.  Recently I tried an out of town hospital and it would not come up under category, but when I used "by name" instead it came up just fine.  So choosing "poi by category" is off my list.  The system can work beautifully or it can make you start to thump your head on the steering wheel.

Edited by Laurel

I'm not sure "POI > Category" has ever worked for me, and "POI > Name" rarely (but sometimes!) does. What I do is use my phone to learn the address, and then say "Navigation > Destination > Address". I find that to be the most reliable commands. Even that doesn't work every time, but certainly most times. If I have trouble with the address, "Spell City" or "Spell Street" usually does the trick.

I really wish the system would detect the presence of a passenger (using the same weight sensor I'm sure is already used for passenger airbag enabling/disabling) and just allow keyboard entry when a passenger is in the car. I understand and respect why it's disabled for the driver, but if I have someone else in the car, the system should just assume they're the ones using it! Oh well...

Actually we have experienced two fairly consistent problem areas with voice commands.  The first one is using "nearby".  It rarely works to use that word instead of city.  The other is choosing poi categories. 

We tried both of those, apparently DFW airport isn't in a city and is not a city. 

Also don't forget that you can use Sync Services in a pinch. They draw from a larger and fresher database.

Sync Services, 1 hour a day

Smart phone, 23 hours + many more Services + the same 1 hour as sync services for 2/3 more $ = best bang for the $.

Wab I did better than you at getting to the DFW Airport.  I was out grocery shopping this morning and decided to try verbal commands to get from here (Vancouver, B.C) to the DFW Airport.  So I tried navigation, destination, POI, by name.  I asked for city Dallas and then for Dallas Fort Worth Airport.  Got a nifty little list saying 1) DFW Airport Car Rental Facility 2837 kilometers 2) Grand Hyatt DFW Airport meeting space 2838 kilometers 3) Grand Hyatt-DFW Airport Terminal D 2838 kilometers 4)Quinta Inn and Suites DFW Air port South 2816 kilometers.  We had a flukey snow storm and have about 14 inches on the ground so I was sorely tempted to say "line 3" and hit the road. LOL

Edited by Laurel

Wab I did better than you at getting to the DFW Airport.  I was out grocery shopping this morning and decided to try verbal commands to get from here (Vancouver, B.C) to the DFW Airport.  So I tried navigation, destination, POI, by name.  I asked for city Dallas and then for Dallas Fort Worth Airport.  Got a nifty little list saying 1) DFW Airport Car Rental Facility 2837 kilometers 2) Grand Hyatt DFW Airport meeting space 2838 kilometers 3) Grand Hyatt-DFW Airport Terminal D 2838 kilometers 4)Quinta Inn and Suites DFW Air port South 2816 kilometers.  We had a flukey snow storm and have about 14 inches on the ground so I was sorely tempted to say "line 3" and hit the road. LOL

Laurel, we saw that list BUT only after switching FROM voice to TOUCH commands.

I tried again last night just to make sure that once we said "Nearby" no voice command would work except "Cancel".

Back to Garmin.... done with ALL oem navigation...AGAIN!!!

Just to be clear you are saying, navigation, destination, POI.  Then when asked by name or by catergory,  you say "by name".  Then you say city instead of nearby and then say Dallas next.  Then when asked for POI, you say Dallas Fort Worth Airport.  Is that your sequence?  Our navigation works great until we try entering a whole bunch of locations within a half hour time frame, and then it is head bashing time.  It accepts two or three locations just fine within that half hour, but it crashes if we try more than that.

Edited by Laurel

Just to be clear you are saying, navigation, destination, POI.  Then when asked by name or by catergory,  you say "by name".  Then you say city instead of nearby and then say Dallas next.  Then when asked for POI, you say Dallas Fort Worth Airport.  Is that your sequence?  Our navigation works great until we try entering a whole bunch of locations within a half hour time frame, and then it is head bashing time.  It accepts two or three locations just fine within that half hour, but it crashes if we try more than that.

We tried “name”, sync couldn’t get past “Dallas Fort Worth International airport” or “DFW International airport”, etc, etc.

We then switched to “category” , “nearby” to a deaf screen. :doh:

ENOUGH I QUIT!

I spent WAY TOO many years fighting with Nortel (Bankrupt) phone systems.

100+ commands to program a simple phone… ops I fat fingered the D key instead of the S on command line # 85….”Escape” start over. :doh:

Maybe we'll upgrad to one of these

Garmin RV 760LMT Portable GPS Navigator

$400 on Amazon PLUS we could use it in our motor home.

Thanks for listening, let’s let it rest.

wab

The only issue I've experienced with the navigation is on long road trips.  I drove from Michigan to Texas last December and it calculates the route just fine but when I deviate from the route (I want to take a specific route to avoid traffic or construction) the navigation keeps trying to reroute me back to the original route it had calculated.  This goes on over and over until after a while it'll give up and display a "route calculation failed" error.  This error will prevent me from inputting the same address again and calculating a new route based on my current position and route.  It didn't go away until I merged back into part of the original route or got close enough to it.  It wasn't a big issue because I've completed this trip multiple times so I know where to go but if I had never driven that route and the GPS started doing that error then a person could get lost or be forced to go back to the original calculated route.

Edited by RaPieR

I got the built in nav for the first time.  I wouldn't go back.

Having a suction cup for my phone on the windshield or my GPS stuck to the windshield with a power cable going to the 12V adapter is cluttered.  It's adding another device that I have to bring with me.

The built in nav has a great screen, takes spoken directions well and hasn't gotten me lost yet.  I've always thought the money was too much for technology that will be old in a few years.  However, after thinking about it over 5 years it really isn't that much of an investment.

I'm very happy with the nav system and suggest others purchase it as well.

Hi everyone,

If you find any missing streets or destinations, please report them to our map provider HERE (formerly known as NAVTEQ). To do so, follow this link:

https://mapreporter.navteq.com/#dashboard

Rebecca

Would that also include things like Dealers that have changed their name?  NAV still lists a local Ford dealer's name under the name of the old entity.