Navigation package satisfaction?

lpr

Hello,

I'm debating if i should take the navigation package with the C-Max SEL. I've been using Navigon and Tom Tom on my iPhone for many years and they work great for me. However, since I'll have MFT and this big screening begging to have navigation on it, it should be a no-brainer to take it... 

My question is really simple, are you satisfy with your navigation package?

Thanks for your time.

That's why I did it. My phone provides better integration with my contact addresses and the like, but the big screen and full functionality of the C-MAX got me to go for it. It works well, but it still is behind the state of current smartphone technology.

Yes, if I were to be in a position to decide again, I would still get NAV.

After getting my GPS Module replaced to fix the location error, and the latest mapping software, A4, I am very happy I paid the extra large amount for it, and the rear camera!  I recently had to go into a part of town I was not familiar with and I just spoke the address "123 Jones Street City" and it found it immediately.  I like the large screen and don't see ever going back to my little 4" Garmin.

We have had the SEL 303 package since last November.  Have not gone in for any upgrades yet and we love our MFT navigation etc.  Works very well, and I am dragging my heels about the upgrades as everything on our car is great.  Only negative is mileage is not as advertised--in particular city driving is poor compared to highway for us.  Maybe the power train upgrade that we will do next month will help that.

I have never used a navigation system before the C-Max. It has come in very handy on a number of occasions. The integration with the car is a plus for me as I think getting directions from a phone would not be as user friendly. The displays of the upcoming interstate signs and ramp configurations have also been helpful.

My sole frustration has been providing destination information using voice commands. I just want to tap the paddle on the steering wheel and, with one command, give a destination via address (123 sesame street) or by name (Bob's Bar & Grill). Whenever I use the paddle I have to answer a bunch of questions to narrow down my choice. This takes way too long and in some instances won't find the destination I want.

Overall I am glad I got the navigation and would do so again. I recommend using the screen entry if you already know where you are going.

I like the navigation on the C-Max.  Many cars won't let you set a destination while driving.  I find this annoying as a passenger.  I want to set the navigation.  The Ford let's you do it.  However, if you use the touch screen too much while the car is in motion, it does disable it and states "features have been disabled for your own safety" - or something like that.

I am very happy with the NAV. It is missing key features that my Garmin has, like free lifetime updates and traffic reports, but the large screen is easy to read and the system is fairly intuitive. Like Laurel, I have had my Max since November and have not been back to the dealer because everything pretty much works, although not perfectly. It goes in for the first time tomorrow at around 8,500 miles for the updates (just over 3,000 on the ICE) and I hate to part with it for the day.

As mentioned above, besides the NAV, the backup camera is a feature that you will be glad about if you get it. It makes parking and all other reverse operations really easy. I would have no trouble recommending the 302 package.

O yeah, I forgot the ability to also display the NAV on the smaller dashboard screen to the right of the speedo. My wife thinks the NAV, or rather ANY NAV is too distracting and complains when I call it up when I know where I am going (great for getting constantly updated ETA), so I just grab it on the small screen and she is none the wiser.

There are a few pluses and negatives.  Negative - the route is in light green and sometimes can't be seen in bright sunlight.  Wish I had a choice of different screen colors.  Side street names are too small.

On the Plus side - it provides most of the features you find in stand alone GPS systems.  One feature we recently found is that if you're on an interstate, it can tell you what services (food, gas) are available at the next exit and if you can touch an icon to see a list of food or gas services available, and press the one you want to visit - the GPS resets to that location.

What I found I liked is the travel link which costs around $72 a year - it gives you traffic reports, weather reports, movie theater info., etc.  We were staying overnight out west and wanted to see a movie.  travel link listed local movie theaters, what was play, and when.  The weather map has come in handy to identify the weather during a trip.

To offer a somewhat different perspective, I do NOT have navigation but have used Sync Services Directions many times and have found it works very well.  The instructions are shown on both the big MFT screen and on the small screen to the right of the speedometer.  Directions are correct, timely (e.g. "turn right in two tenths of a mile onto Main St."), it understands when you're off route and asks if rerouting is wanted, survives turning the car off, and so forth.  I'm quite impressed.

Sync Services works well and will also feed the Nav system too if it is available. We were looking for a store once and I was impressed with how easy it was to get the information from the autoamated system and feed the address and eventually reach my destination with minimal intervention.

I still like to have a map available on the big screen to see side streets and potential alternate routes, but I guess it is a very viable option to go that route and use google maps on the cell when you need to.

I am a big Garmin fan and have used their GPS technology for years - both car and handheld.  The CMax GPS is one of the best I've experienced for in car systems but still falls short of the Garmin technology.  I do like the fact that it is integrated into the car and I feel it was worth the purchase.  I do wish they would provide map updates regularly for free.  

I test drove a Dodge Dart before purchasing the CMax.  Chrysler partnered with Garmin and implemented their GPS technology - it was very nice.  

If it worked - I would had been. But since it does not work - I am giving up. I am sick of going to the dealership so many times (7 or 8 times in 4 months). The gps is not indicating actual position. I am composing an official letter to Ford Motor Co. I have the work orders and some other paperwork. There will be blood :/

If it worked - I would had been. But since it does not work - I am giving up. I am sick of going to the dealership so many times (7 or 8 times in 4 months). The gps is not indicating actual position. I am composing an official letter to Ford Motor Co. I have the work orders and some other paperwork. There will be blood :/

Check this thread out: http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1664-who-has-313-nav-and-it-works-properly/page-2

Both AE and I took our CMaxs back to the dealer and have them replace the GPS unit and both of us are having spot on navigation since.

I suspect there are bunch of BAD GPS out there. For me, it took Galpin Ford, 3 days for Galpin to talk to Ford, Diagnose, order the part and and test it afterward and it was well worth it. Its been SPOT ON.

Insist your dealer swap out the GPS.

Check this thread out: http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1664-who-has-313-nav-and-it-works-properly/page-2

Both AE and I took our CMaxs back to the dealer and have them replace the GPS unit and both of us are having spot on navigation since.

I suspect there are bunch of BAD GPS out there. For me, it took Galpin Ford, 3 days for Galpin to talk to Ford, Diagnose, order the part and and test it afterward and it was well worth it. Its been SPOT ON.

I confirm and agree. Get the GPSM replaced ASAP.

Well - the Lemon Law firm is already involved. Yesterday the dealership people wanted me to wait for ever to have the thing re-programmed. But I gave up. It has been too much already - 8 times in 4 months. The car overall is a disappointment for me (like a book-example of a "lemon"). Just like the 1st gen C-max back in Europe: engine, turbo, brakes, hatch, electronics...

Edited by pjurek99

Well - the Lemon Law firm is already involved. Yesterday the dealership people wanted me to wait for ever to have the thing re-programmed. But I gave up. It has been too much already - 8 times in 4 months. The car overall is a disappointment for me (like a book-example of a "lemon"). Just like the 1st gen C-max back in Europe: engine, turbo, brakes, hatch, electronics...

I had a similar problem. They applied the newest updates and it improved it but didn't fix it. Ford told them to replace the Navigation SD Card. So far, fingers crossed, I have not had any issues since.

• 2 months later...

So yesterday I picked up my C-Max from the dealership again. The GPS module was replaced and the XM Sat Aerial was replaced too.

And as of now it is working very precisely, like NEVER BEFORE. I am simply stunned!

I have never paid attention to the "3D" graphics on the screen. Now I can see as if somebody took pictures of the intersections and put them in the system. WOW. So nice, so precise, so clever.

In a minute I will be leaving for ~50 miles trip. I will see how the stuff will work.

7 months and 10 or 11 visits at the dealership later and the car is becoming normal.