Finding the options you want

noesys

I just signed a lease yesterday on a 2013 C-MAX Hybrid SEL, and take delivery tomorrow afternoon.  I've been leasing cars for a long time: three Ford Explorers, a Dodge Magnum, a Ford Edge, and most recently a Prius 4.  This year I decided to try and be a little smarter by using the car pricing services (KBB, TrueCar, Consumer Reports, and CarsDirect).  The results of that experiment I'll have to discuss some other time.

One common thread with all the pricing services is the fine print.  Specifically, the quoted price is only applicable if the dealer has a car in stock which is exactly like the one you quoted.  All I wanted was an SEL with the factor-installed remote start and interior package (floor mats, basically).  Simple enough, you'd think, but trying to find it was impossible.  I ended up with those two options plus navigation and white platinum paint.  Two things I really didn't need, and around $2000 in MSRP that I didn't want added.

So, my question is: Are there any web sites/services which can find a specific car configuration in local dealer inventories (regardless of manufacturer)?  Specific to the C-MAX, the Ford "find me a car" service doesn't do the job.  It only gives you control over a basic set of options.  No doubt so that your search results will end up with lots of dealers having a candidate vehicle in stock.

I had to spend a lot of time going to individual dealer web sites to check their inventory.  And, there's no telling whether those online inventories are even accurate.  It seems to me that the manufacturer should have a better idea of all the vehicles on their dealers lots -- with a day or two of lag time, perhaps -- including every option that appears on the window sticker.

From my experience, most Ford dealers get a dataset from Ford on the vehicles in stock, but you only can drill down into your seraches to the year/vehicle/Trim package.  One good thing I saw on Ford dealers' site was that a window sticker image was available, so you could see what vehicles were ins tock and how they were equipped.

It is not optimal, but about as close as you can get online.   WHen I was shopping for my Cmax, there was not a lot of inventory of SEL's and dealers were unwilling to do a dealer swap. 

Good luck and enjoy the Cmax

Perhaps (some) folks want or need a C-MAX SEL with NAV and Premium stereo.  I for one just wanted a C-MAX SE with just the upgraded 202A package with Sirius/XM radio.  I did`nt need the "Sony" radio nor the built in NAV, my $70 portable Garmin Numi  with Lifetime Map Updates works fine and I think I have used the "Fog Lights" twice in my entire life with any Vehicle that had them.  Not everyone wants or needs to add on several thousand dollars to the purchase price in order to have Leather Interior in South Florida or the (chrome) moulding surround the side windows which IMO looks better anyway in Black matching the rest of the Trim, just saying.....to each their own.

Perhaps (some) folks want or need a C-MAX SEL with NAV and Premium stereo.  I for one just wanted a C-MAX SE with just the upgraded 202A package with Sirius/XM radio.  I did`nt need the "Sony" radio nor the built in NAV, my $70 portable Garmin Numi  with Lifetime Map Updates works fine and I think I have used the "Fog Lights" twice in my entire life with any Vehicle that had them.  Not everyone wants or needs to add on several thousand dollars to the purchase price in order to have Leather Interior in South Florida or the (chrome) moulding surround the side windows which IMO looks better anyway in Black matching the rest of the Trim, just saying.....to each their own.

You sound like someone that's retired and only uses the car to get from A to B because it's better then riding the bus.

I use my car everyday. I enjoy music during my travels for work. I also like having the Nav system to find new customer locations.

My comfort while working is just one of the reasons, I drive a C-Max Energi with Nav and Premium Audio ;)

Dealerships can see inventory of all other dealers in the country. They can see the specific option packages that each vehicle has. Most dealers will not let you the customer know this information though because they don't want you to use their access to go buy from the competition. But dealers have this access to try to do dealer trades.

You sound like someone that's retired and only uses the car to get from A to B because it's better then riding the bus.

I use my car everyday. I enjoy music during my travels for work. I also like having the Nav system to find new customer locations.

My comfort while working is just one of the reasons, I drive a C-Max Energi with Nav and Premium Audio ;)

drdiesel1;  Well you got one thing right, lol.  I am Retired, thank you, but only for the past 3 years.  Before that, everything I Posted was just a relevant as it is today.  I don`t understand your point.  The upgraded "non-Sony" Sirius/XM radio with 6 speakers that came with the C-MAX SE does`nt provide decent reception or sound?  The built in Navigation somehow provides different directions then a portable Garmin GPS?  I don`t consider a 2013 Ford C-MAX SE with a MSRP of $26,585 a typical stripped down retirement Vehicle.  Perhaps your confusing it with a Ford Fiesta "S" or a Kia Rio "LX" with crank up windows?  If using Mass Transit was supposed to be a "shot", I`ll take it!  Perhaps you would prefer being stuck on I95 during heavy traffic or waiting for an accident to clear then relaxing on Tri-Rail and reading a magazine or texting an "tweeting" to your hearts desire, safely.

drdiesel1;  Well you got one thing right, lol.  I am Retired, thank you, but only for the past 3 years.  Before that, everything I Posted was just a relevant as it is today.  I don`t understand your point.  The upgraded "non-Sony" Sirius/XM radio with 6 speakers that came with the C-MAX SE does`nt provide decent reception or sound?  The built in Navigation somehow provides different directions then a portable Garmin GPS?  I don`t consider a 2013 Ford C-MAX SE with a MSRP of $26,585 a typical stripped down retirement Vehicle.  Perhaps your confusing it with a Ford Fiesta "S" or a Kia Rio "LX" with crank up windows?  If using Mass Transit was supposed to be a "shot", I`ll take it!  Perhaps you would prefer being stuck on I95 during heavy traffic or waiting for an accident to clear then relaxing on Tri-Rail and reading a magazine or texting an "tweeting" to your hearts desire, safely.

I drive an Energi, so I've never even seen an SE Hybrid.  I like the Sony sound system and the My Ford Touch with Nav. I also have a smart phone with Nav, but having one in the car helps if my wire drives it.  She's not tuned into electronics, so the car Nav. is available for her.

I'm not retired and use my car for work everyday. I never get stuck on I95 or any other freeways. I also have HOV stickers if that ever comes up.

Edited by drdiesel1

I got a HOV Sticker too but when there is a massive crash or pile up, nothing moves in (any) lane.  THe only thing I do miss is the rear camera monitor which I refused to pay several thousand dollars extra to get.  Ford is putting them in MY 2014 Fusions in (all) Trim Levels but yet refuses to make it Standard Equipment in a 26K Vehicle, makes sense to me, right?  Comparing the C-MAX Plug - In Energi with the Hybrid is like comparing Apples with Oranges.  They are both grown from a Tree and from the distance, except for the Plug-In Port, look identical.  Your original rational of what Inventory a Dealer would keep in stock made little sense to me especially since the C-MAX Energi is equipped differently with multiple Trim Levels options as a Hybrid.  Interesting that in CA you don`t experience heavy highway traffic.

Dealerships can see inventory of all other dealers in the country. They can see the specific option packages that each vehicle has. Most dealers will not let you the customer know this information though because they don't want you to use their access to go buy from the competition. But dealers have this access to try to do dealer trades.

Thats true but Internet sites like Auto Trader. Com can locate exactly what Dealership`s have in inventory that you might be looking for.  Just enter your Zip Code and how far to search and you`ll find your Vehicle.

I got a HOV Sticker too but when there is a massive crash or pile up, nothing moves in (any) lane.  THe only thing I do miss is the rear camera monitor which I refused to pay several thousand dollars extra to get.  Ford is putting them in MY 2014 Fusions in (all) Trim Levels but yet refuses to make it Standard Equipment in a 26K Vehicle, makes sense to me, right?  Comparing the C-MAX Plug - In Energi with the Hybrid is like comparing Apples with Oranges.  They are both grown from a Tree and from the distance, except for the Plug-In Port, look identical.  Your original rational of what Inventory a Dealer would keep in stock made little sense to me especially since the C-MAX Energi is equipped differently with multiple Trim Levels options as a Hybrid.  Interesting that in CA you don`t experience heavy highway traffic.

The Energi is SEL trim only. We do get heavy traffic, but I have lots of Mt backroads to travel on. I don't do the rush hour traffic grind. I work for myself and make sure I avoid it by alternate times and routes. I get way better hybrid MPG's on the backraods. I use the EV charge in town.

Edited by drdiesel1

"You sound like someone that's retired and only uses the car to get from A to B because it's better then riding the bus."  Is that such a bad thing?  Not everyone thinks the same as to what is important.  I for one wanted a fully loaded SEL and got it, a little more than a year ago

"You sound like someone that's retired and only uses the car to get from A to B because it's better then riding the bus."  Is that such a bad thing?  Not everyone thinks the same as to what is important.  I for one wanted a fully loaded SEL and got it, a little more than a year ago

No! It's not... I was just guessing based on his reply :)