Recurrence of battery failure

jchaddpete

Your car has LOT(sitting unused) ROT. Make the dealer replace the battery and make sure it's properly charged before installation.

Also make them update the software in the PCM. This will update all the modules with the latest fixes.

I have advised everyone to buy a good battery charger that will condition the battery as well as maintain it.

For 55 bucks at Amazon, you can't go wrong. It's plug and play. No complicated use requirements.

Here's the link.  http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SSC-1500A-CA-SpeedCharge-Charger-Battery/dp/B000H961YI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406485546&sr=8-1&keywords=1500+ship+n+shore+charger

I use this charger for all my vehicles. Just pop the hood and hook it to the power and ground studs and let it do it's thing :victory:

Here's an image of the hookup points. Red to 12V pwr stud and Black to Grd stud.   post-1464-0-44023300-1406491160_thumb.jpg

Edited by drdiesel1

Sure.  Sad.  I have tears rolling down my cheek every time I get a 60 mpg journey. 

+1,  or whenever I glance at the 48.0 mpg "lifetime" since upgrade (like I've been doing today), or when I blow the other guy away leaving the stop light because I see my lane ends just after the light (like I did today), yes, real sad. :cry:

What a lack of sensitivity to someone with the battery issue.  Quite frankly, there's no need for such trolling.  I doubt your comments are "funny" to those who have had battery issues,  Don't worry though there are several others like you on this sight and they'll probably chime in. :)  ;)  

What a lack of sensitivity to someone with the battery issue.  Quite frankly, there's no need for such trolling.  I doubt your comments are "funny" to those who have had battery issues,  Don't worry though there are several others like you on this sight and they'll probably chime in. :)  ;)  

I kind of felt that way, too. I never go anywhere without the jump starter, even though I've not yet experienced the battery problem. Twice in my many years, my life literally depended on my car starting. Of course, there was also the time when my son was born immediately after we got into the hospital.

Obviously like everyone who owns a C-Max I certainly have a bit of concern about experiencing battery problems.  I'd appreciate anyone relating their thoughts on this:

1) Given that I have both Ford and AAA Road service, and am seldom (never?) out of cell phone range nor do I drive anywhere that being stuck roadside for an hour or two would be a major hardship am I right in thinking that worrying about this without having ever experienced it (yet?) is not something I should do?  IOW, until I actually DO have one (or more - sigh) failures should I just assume that my 2014 SE is going to be okay?

2) If the above isn't true, or if/when I do experience such a failure, does buying one of the charging units mentioned by many folks here make any sense if you need to plug it into 120AC power?  IOW, if my C-Max fails to start at home (where I always have another vehicle -- the only time THAT vehicle is out is when the C-Max is first) it's no big deal to me and I can wait for Ford to come to my rescue.  If it fails to start where I am out and about, I'm not likely to be close enough to AC power to use one of those units (unless you can still get power from the AC outlet in the car -- does that come from the hybrid battery thing and not the "car" battery?)

I want to be reasonably responsible about this, but I also know that life is WAY too short to worry about all the things that *might* happen (heck, I'm probably more likely to have a heart attack, at my age, than a battery failure).  OTOH, if such failures are the norm rather than the exception then perhaps I should start getting prepared.

Obviously like everyone who owns a C-Max I certainly have a bit of concern about experiencing battery problems.  I'd appreciate anyone relating their thoughts on this:

1) Given that I have both Ford and AAA Road service, and am seldom (never?) out of cell phone range nor do I drive anywhere that being stuck roadside for an hour or two would be a major hardship am I right in thinking that worrying about this without having ever experienced it (yet?) is not something I should do?  IOW, until I actually DO have one (or more - sigh) failures should I just assume that my 2014 SE is going to be okay?

2) If the above isn't true, or if/when I do experience such a failure, does buying one of the charging units mentioned by many folks here make any sense if you need to plug it into 120AC power?  IOW, if my C-Max fails to start at home (where I always have another vehicle -- the only time THAT vehicle is out is when the C-Max is first) it's no big deal to me and I can wait for Ford to come to my rescue.  If it fails to start where I am out and about, I'm not likely to be close enough to AC power to use one of those units (unless you can still get power from the AC outlet in the car -- does that come from the hybrid battery thing and not the "car" battery?)

I want to be reasonably responsible about this, but I also know that life is WAY too short to worry about all the things that *might* happen (heck, I'm probably more likely to have a heart attack, at my age, than a battery failure).  OTOH, if such failures are the norm rather than the exception then perhaps I should start getting prepared.

I thought I read on this forum that someone here has a 2014 SE who had the same dead battery problem.  I think it's too early to predict what the 2014 CMax will do.  I have a 2013 SE and it's been at the dealer (repair) for 19 days now (business days) with no answer or solution from Ford.    I'm counting the days because I'm going to pursue the IL Lemon Law.  I was planning on buying a 2014 SE, but am hesitant when I start hearing things about dead batteries with them.  I'm a single woman and this is my only car.  I have a rental from the dealer.  I can't be out trying to charge the battery, etc.  I like to drive to Chicago once in a while and my car became unreliable and unsafe.  I love my Cmax and am still not sure what I will buy next.  If there's anyone who has had problems with their 2014 CMax SE, please let us know!

I carry my set of jumper cables with me. The cables fit in the cubby hole under the front seat with a little persuasion. We travel in many areas where cell service is marginal / non-existent and can be many miles from a small town and even if we could call the emergency assistant number, I'm not sure what the response time would be.

The jump start devices mentioned are basically a small battery pack that can be recharged. Since, the 12 V battery does not crank ICE, it should be sufficient to operate the control modules to energize the DC-DC converter which will then put about 14 V on the 12V system to charge the drained 12V battery. The car should then be able to operate normally. http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-J309-Peak-Jump-Starter/dp/B001U04NCA/ref=lp_318336011_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1406515834&sr=1-4

So, for maybe $70 or so (jump start and battery cables) one can hedge against being stranded for maybe a few hours with a dead battery.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

I thought I read on this forum that someone here has a 2014 SE who had the same dead battery problem.  I think it's too early to predict what the 2014 CMax will do.  I have a 2013 SE and it's been at the dealer (repair) for 19 days now (business days) with no answer or solution from Ford.    I'm counting the days because I'm going to pursue the IL Lemon Law.  I was planning on buying a 2014 SE, but am hesitant when I start hearing things about dead batteries with them.  I'm a single woman and this is my only car.  I have a rental from the dealer.  I can't be out trying to charge the battery, etc.  I like to drive to Chicago once in a while and my car became unreliable and unsafe.  I love my Cmax and am still not sure what I will buy next.  If there's anyone who has had problems with their 2014 CMax SE, please let us know!

You don't need to charge it all the time. Probably anywhere from every 3 to 6 months will keep it maintained.

It all depends on the batteries SOC. State of Charge. The charger will tell you that info.

With the rebates on the Energi, you can get one for the same price as a Hybrid.

I have not had a battery problem with either, my 2013 or 2014 Energi.

Edited by drdiesel1

What a lack of sensitivity to someone with the battery issue.  Quite frankly, there's no need for such trolling.  I doubt your comments are "funny" to those who have had battery issues,  Don't worry though there are several others like you on this sight and they'll probably chime in. 

You misunderstood the comments.  They were not aimed at the battery-less but rather the poster who left dismissive comments "No Ford for Me or my family!" for reasons some C-max owners find irrational and frankly, sanctimonious.  

You have to expect problems with a new build and the battery situation, although obviously infuriating to some, do not reflect most owner's experiences.   As many have pointed out a $50 battery pack in the trunk will get you out of a tight spot.  Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to minimize the seriousness of the battery problem.  But it isn't the Achilles heel, and most SEL owners have not had a single battery problem.

There do seem to be a few SE lemons out there.  But check out Honda or Toyota forums--horror stories can be found.  It doesn't mean your new Honda will be a piece of junk.

Anyway, Kostby said it better but it might have been on a different post

The jump start devices mentioned are basically a small battery pack that can be recharged. Since, the 12 V battery does not crank ICE, it should be sufficient to operate the control modules to energize the DC-DC converter which will then put about 14 V on the 12V system to charge the drained 12V battery. The car should then be able to operate normally. http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-J309-Peak-Jump-Starter/dp/B001U04NCA/ref=lp_318336011_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1406515834&sr=1-4

I think jumper cables are a good idea -- I've never owned a car that I didn't carry them in and even if *I* didn't use them much (can only remember one occasion I needed to jumpstart my own car away from home) I've had at least three or four occasions where I've rescued others (then again, I'm retired and most of my "rescues" came from fellow workers whose cars wouldn't start at the end of the work day -- not likely to happen to me now :>).  There appears to be plenty of space underneath the back storage area (coincidentally next to the "other" battery) to store them.

But those battery packs I've had much worse luck with.  I've actually bought two of them and back when I lived in much colder climes I would come out to a battery that needed jumping (cables won't do it if it's in your garage with no other vehicles close by) and these battery packs *never* worked.  Invariably they were always discharged when I needed them, so THEY needed to be charged before they could help my car. Carrying them around in my vehicle was just silly, because there's no way I could ever be disciplined enough to charge these units before hand AND return them to the vehicle on the off chance they might be needed.

Now -- all of this would be very different if/when I experienced this battery issue with my C-Max.  At that point in time I think I'd be willing to look into more "insurance" as it were.  But for now I think I'll stick with battery cables and rely upon my cell coverage (which here in Florida is pretty darn good -- my former state, Nevada, would be another thing entirely).

Sorry P3G, but they have just as much right (and better rationale) to praise their vehicles as MRobinso8 has to smear Ford.  Their comments would not have appeared had there not been an overly simplistic swipe at Ford. Painting them and others as insensitive is over reaching.  They are likely no more insensitive to those with a battery issue than you or I.  Hopefully we are allowed a measure of enthusiasm here.  Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

Your car has LOT(sitting unused) ROT. Make the dealer replace the battery and make sure it's properly charged before installation.

Also make them update the software in the PCM. This will update all the modules with the latest fixes.

I have advised everyone to buy a good battery charger that will condition the battery as well as maintain it.

For 55 bucks at Amazon, you can't go wrong. It's plug and play. No complicated use requirements.

Here's the link.  http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SSC-1500A-CA-SpeedCharge-Charger-Battery/dp/B000H961YI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406485546&sr=8-1&keywords=1500+ship+n+shore+charger

I use this charger for all my vehicles. Just pop the hood and hook it to the power and ground studs and let it do it's thing :victory:

Here's an image of the hookup points. Red to 12V pwr stud and Black to Grd stud.   attachicon.gifDSC_0001.jpg

drdiesel1 thank you for your advise it does minimizes downtime.

Said that, before I took delivery of this car, I ask ford dealer to perform car inspection. They applied all software updates, checked battery, replaced engine oil and so on. So in this respect, it is all good.

I do have a jump cables in this car just in case. Said that, C MAX is my wife primary car, where she used it to go to work and drive kids around. Been two working parents is tough on schedule and particularly when we are hour apart driving distance. Also, she is good with kids and not with cars. I also have AAA and ford road side assistance. The problem is, these services are not instantaneous, It could be 30 min before someone will show up. Been stuck with a dead car and two little kids anywhere is not a good idea. So when new car is purchased, there is a great and founded expectation of it to be reliable, more reliable than car it replaces. We all understand that there is a chance of breakdowns with a new car, but there is also expectation of these breakdowns to be addressed and fixed right first time. The issue with 12V battery is not resolved by the manufacturer, and it been drugged for at least a year, that is what makes this car highly unreliable perception wise. Also, as far as small rechargeable jump start battery, why would I have to pay additional money for the emergency device if I am not the cause of this emergency. Ford did not charge us for tire kit, right?

Therefore in a conclusion, I can say that Ford has a mess on their hands as far as general public perception on a quality of Ford product and it is not a good situation.

P.S. drdiesel1, again, thank you for your advise, I also do not bash C MAX, I do believe this is a good car, I just do not see urgency on Ford company part. As someone here said: with this reoccurring issue, why not provide existing owners of C MAX with additional warranty to ease our concern and show Ford's commitment to the customers and this product.

You misunderstood the comments.  They were not aimed at the battery-less but rather the poster who left dismissive comments "No Ford for Me or my family!" for reasons some C-max owners find irrational and frankly, sanctimonious.  

You have to expect problems with a new build and the battery situation, although obviously infuriating to some, do not reflect most owner's experiences.   As many have pointed out a $50 battery pack in the trunk will get you out of a tight spot.  Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to minimize the seriousness of the battery problem.  But it isn't the Achilles heel, and most SEL owners have not had a single battery problem.

There do seem to be a few SE lemons out there.  But check out Honda or Toyota forums--horror stories can be found.  It doesn't mean your new Honda will be a piece of junk.

Just leave out the "SAD" comments and no issue. ;) IMO, using "SAD in the two posts I quoted is a mockery of the dead battery issue. Quoting the reference post about the battery problem: "It is sad about the continuing problem with Ford Hybrids."   Attacking the dismissive comment about not buying any more Ford products because of having a the dead battery problem is fine. 

Personally, I will not buy nor would I recommend buying a C-Max SE (used or new) until there is strong evidence that whatever is causing the issue has been fixed.  We really don't know the extent of the problem. But, IMO, it is likely far greater than we think.  

I heard the same chatter on TDIClub about the 2009 MY TDI with respect to high pressure fuel pump failures.  "The vast majority of owners don't have the problem, the car gets great FE, fun to drive, I talked to my dealer and he hasn't fixed any failures and so forth so drive more, worry less."  About 220 failures were registered on TDIClub out on nearly 40,000 vehicles sold or 0.55% after 4 years of ownership.  But, fortunately, VW had to submit data to NHTSA on such failures for a safety investigation.  I analyzed the various spreadsheets and found that after 4 years, MY2009 had 4.45% failures not the 0.55% registered on TDIclub.  The MY2009 failures continue.to increase and likely are now at 6% or higher.  What was very obvious after analyzing the data was the dealers that claimed no failures had many failures, the data showed no failures for the first year yet we knew of failures, known failures that should have been in the data weren't listed.  Suffice it to say IMO 4.45% is conservative.  So, I give little credence to the anecdotal arguments that the battery issue affects a very small number of vehicles based on what is reported here.  

I am waiting for the upcoming snow/winter/cold season 2014 into early 2015.  I hope my CMax 12V battery does not drained during the period like it had been before during the same period in before year.  If it does not, then I would said yes the 12V battery problem is fixed sort of (after all those updates and recalls), at least on my CMax.

Current lifetime AVG is 39.5MPG.  Really, not bad considering I have been using highway most of my driving.

And yes, 999MPG can be achieved easily, for a short distant traveling only and if there is no vehicles right behind my car.

I remembered the 1st time I talked to the service advisor about the car would not start up (dead 12V battery).  The service advisor asked me: did I leave anything on? or did I unplug all the device/s from the 12V port? :) If the dealership did not know this problem then, they should know this 12V problem by now, don't you/readers think so?

Sorry P3G, but they have just as much right (and better rationale) to praise their vehicles as MRobinso8 has to smear Ford.  Their comments would not have appeared had there not been an overly simplistic swipe at Ford. Painting them and others as insensitive is over reaching.  They are likely no more insensitive to those with a battery issue than you or I.  Hopefully we are allowed a measure of enthusiasm here.  Nick

It's not about smearing Ford or praising vehicles. It's not about their right to post.  It's about their mocking the original post- to attack or treat with ridicule - by using the word "SAD".  So, what is the purpose of using "SAD" but for mockery.  Sad refers to the fact that Ford hasn't fixed the problem yet. Nothing else.  And it's well know that brand loyalty depends in part on the quality / dependability / reliability of the product.  When one has issues with a product, one is less likely to buy that brand again.  The fact that my TV sound great and has great picture quality but has been replaced twice under warranty likely means I won't buy that brand again.  So what's wrong with being dismissive of a brand.  Attack it with logic and facts not mockery and anecdotal evidence.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Just had my second bought of dead battery tonight.  I had driven the C-Max earlier today so had been in the driveway for about 10 hours when my wife tried to leave for work tonight.  Fortunately the other car is not dead yet and we could jump start it.  She took the jumper cables with her, which is a good idea since the C-Max needs them more then the other car.  Been in the trunk for years and only used once before.

Road side service is not worth much if you need to leave for work. 

Just had my second bought of dead battery tonight.  I had driven the C-Max earlier today so had been in the driveway for about 10 hours when my wife tried to leave for work tonight.  Fortunately the other car is not dead yet and we could jump start it.  She took the jumper cables with her, which is a good idea since the C-Max needs them more then the other car.  Been in the trunk for years and only used once before.

Road side service is not worth much if you need to leave for work. 

Everyone should own a battery charger. Especially C-Max owners. http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SSC-1500A-CA-SpeedCharge-Charger-Battery/dp/B000H961YI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406485546&sr=8-1&keywords=1500+ship+n+shore+charger

You'll never suffer this problem again if you use it to maintain your battery every 3 to 6 months.

I use it on my non hybrid vehicles every 6 months. My wire's original car battery lasted 8 years to the month

by being serviced on a regular basis. The C-Max is no different, IMO.  It's a small battery and requires more

frequent charging due to the issue's Ford hasn't been able to correct. Just use it and you'll be very happy.

Edited by drdiesel1

Everyone should own a battery charger. Especially C-Max owners. http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SSC-1500A-CA-SpeedCharge-Charger-Battery/dp/B000H961YI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406485546&sr=8-1&keywords=1500+ship+n+shore+charger

You'll never suffer this problem again if you use it to maintain your battery every 3 to 6 months.

I use it on my non hybrid vehicles every 6 months. My wire's original car battery lasted 8 years to the month

by being serviced on a regular basis. The C-Max is no different, IMO.  It's a small battery and requires more

frequent charging due to the issue's Ford hasn't been able to correct. Just use it and you'll be very happy.

"You'll never suffer this problem again if you use it to maintain your battery every 3 to 6 months."

I wish it were that simple, drdiesel1.  But if you've had the battery drain problem, you know that it can reoccur in less than 3 months.  I had my battery recharged at the dealer on June 11.  The car was dead on the morning of July 4.  That's only slightly more than three weeks, never mind three months.  

I know that the people who keep talking about getting battery chargers mean well, but that is not a solution to the problem.  Both times that my car was dead, the roadside assistance person was unable to jump the car enough to start it.  It had to be towed to the dealer.  And to add to what  bil_Jeschke says above, if you need to get to work or someplace else, you don't have time to wait around for thirty minutes to see if a battery charger will get the car started.  

"You'll never suffer this problem again if you use it to maintain your battery every 3 to 6 months."

I wish it were that simple, drdiesel1.  But if you've had the battery drain problem, you know that it can reoccur in less than 3 months.  I had my battery recharged at the dealer on June 11.  The car was dead on the morning of July 4.  That's only slightly more than three weeks, never mind three months.  

I know that the people who keep talking about getting battery chargers mean well, but that is not a solution to the problem.  Both times that my car was dead, the roadside assistance person was unable to jump the car enough to start it.  It had to be towed to the dealer.  And to add to what  bil_Jeschke says above, if you need to get to work or someplace else, you don't have time to wait around for thirty minutes to see if a battery charger will get the car started.  

I don't believe the dealer properly charged your battery. If the parasitic load is that bad, they should be able to find it.

Maintaining a battery will keep it from dying due to continued low SOC. 

If your battery has been low all it's life, dead and only jump started, it's not a wonder why it dies all the time. 

I've been using this charge for the last 5 years or so. It works and that's the bottom line.

Allowing a battery to be continually discharged is a death sentence.

Trusting that a dealer properly charged your battery is as bad as believing what the salesman tell you :lol:

Edited by drdiesel1

I don't believe the dealer properly charged your battery. If the parasitic load is that bad, they should be able to find it.

Maintaining a battery will keep it from dying due to continued low SOC. 

If your battery has been low all it's life, dead and only jump started, it's not a wonder why it dies all the time. 

I've been using this charge for the last 5 years or so. It works and that's the bottom line.

Allowing a battery to be continually discharged is a death sentence.

Trusting that a dealer properly charged your battery is as bad as believing what the salesman tell you :lol:

drdiesel1,

You can believe what you like, but I find your "belief" amazing in light of everything that has been written here about the battery draining problem.  If it was as easy as properly charging a battery, Ford wouldn't have been having to buy back cars.  And it's scarcely a matter of "trusting" the dealer.  After the most recent incident, the dealer kept my car for over two weeks trying to solve the problem.  They were in constant touch with Ford.  Ford called me back and told me that they were unable to solve the problem and were "escalating" it to Engineering.  Engineering is now saying that they hope to have a solution by the end of the third quarter (beginning of October).  

Also, my battery has NOT been "low all it's life, dead and only jump started."  The dealer gave me a NEW battery in mid-December after they did the 13B12 fix.  In early February, I had a dead battery.  That's much less than three months.  

Why do a small number of people on this forum keep trying to insist that the problem is with customer or the dealer rather than with the car?  Ford knows the problem is with the car.  So why don't you?  

drdiesel1,

You can believe what you like, but I find your "belief" amazing in light of everything that has been written here about the battery draining problem.  If it was as easy as properly charging a battery, Ford wouldn't have been having to buy back cars.  And it's scarcely a matter of "trusting" the dealer.  After the most recent incident, the dealer kept my car for over two weeks trying to solve the problem.  They were in constant touch with Ford.  Ford called me back and told me that they were unable to solve the problem and were "escalating" it to Engineering.  Engineering is now saying that they hope to have a solution by the end of the third quarter (beginning of October).  

Also, my battery has NOT been "low all it's life, dead and only jump started."  The dealer gave me a NEW battery in mid-December after they did the 13B12 fix.  In early February, I had a dead battery.  That's much less than three months.  

Why do a small number of people on this forum keep trying to insist that the problem is with customer or the dealer rather than with the car?  Ford knows the problem is with the car.  So why don't you?  

Amen, BullDurham!  The problem is the car and Ford has acknowledged it.  Ford should pay for a loaner from the dealer and wait out the business days required by your state's Lemon Law for a buyback.  That's what I'm doing.

Amen, BullDurham!  The problem is the car and Ford has acknowledged it.  Ford should pay for a loaner from the dealer and wait out the business days required by your state's Lemon Law for a buyback.  That's what I'm doing.

We know it's the car. Why suffer while they come up with a permanent solution  :drop:

My battery was replaced by the dealer on May 8, 2014 for the second time, after the battery tested bad (first time was October, 2013).  Ford then sent one of their field engineers to review and service the car on May 29.  This morning, my battery was dead again.  Less than two months since the battery was replaced.

I have a voltage meter plugged into the 12v jack in the trunk compartment.  I've been checking it every morning before I unlock the car, so it reflects the accurate "sleep" state voltage.  For the past week, it has been 12.5v, which according to this chart, means roughly 90% charge.  I also, fortunately, checked it last night when I took the trash out around 1am, and it was still at 12.5v.  This morning at 9:30am, the car was dead, and the voltmeter read 5.2v.  I had Ford Roadside Assistance come and jump the car.

Between May 8 and today I've had no problems.  But, for some reason, overnight, *poof* the battery discharged.  I have no explanation.  It rained *hard* on Monday, but nothing since, and I haven't had the car washed recently, so I don't see how water intrusion could be a problem in this case.  The car was locked this morning, so it wasn't that I left it unlocked.  Ford has applied all of the software updates (at least up to May 29, including the DC-to-DC converter update), so it's current.  I'm not totally up to speed on all the latest dead battery news, but those are all of the potential causes I'm aware of.

I don't see how charging the battery every 3 months would do anything, given that it died in less than two months on a brand new battery.  Ford has had my car for about two weeks over the past year to try and diagnose it, and I have an ammeter that I've used as well, clamped around the negative cable coming off of the battery, to perform my own parasitic load test - there is no parasitic load under normal circumstances.  There's clearly something that triggers a problem under very specific, rare, occasions.  Or, perhaps, the 12v battery is just under-engineered.  Coincidentally, I've noticed all of my "dead car" issues have occurred when the overnight temperature was in the upper 50's, so perhaps that's also a clue.

I dunno.  I sincerely hope Ford can solve the problem soon, because yeah this is an amazing car, but this battery problem sucks.

Edited by CMax-Traveler

You have some pretty good data there, and I assume you've passed it on to Ford.

I also assume your car is parked outside at night?  I wonder what percentage of battery problems occur in a garage versus outside.  Not that I could imagine what that has to do with it, but it's still more data for Ford to tabulate and to try and figure out what's happening.  

If I were Ford I'd want a car like yours because it's very likely they *could* successfully diagnose what was going on (like perhaps hooking it up to a monitor that also records temps and other conditions).  For that reason alone I'd want to buy your car back (again, if I were their engineers).  Just based on a career of troubleshooting computer problems, it's having one solid case that you can work on that could go a long way towards solving ALL these issues (then again, what do I understand about auto maker politics -- it just seems to me they could save a ton of money in the long run if they had four or five cars like yours they could set up in test cases to get it solved once and for all).