Recurrence of battery failure

jchaddpete

The only reliable measure of cars sold is…

Cars sold!

We can speculate all day, but vehicles in dealer inventory are not a reliable guide to which model sells better. The small local Ford dealer has had the same new SE in inventory for at least 5 months, sold none, and apparently sold zero new SEL's in that same time period - haven't seen any on the lot, on-line inventory, nor any sitting outside the dealership all shined-up for delivery. So tell me, which one is selling better?

Agreed - would love to see the official numbers. But, depending on where you want to draw your circle, there are at least a dozen Ford dealers in the St. Louis metro area who had a combined total of well over 100 C-Maxes in stock last Spring and are now down to a handful (several have none), and the stock apparently wasn't replinished as it sold. That's the basis for my observations.

Thus, some people are confident that the battery problems are rare and primarily affect SEs and others of us aren't so sure. My discomfort level was enough that it nixed the purchase at this time.

A horse for the course, as they say.

Not sure this is relevant for the past, but could be. An interesting note that FORD is pushing now for Sales of CMAX's  6% SE, 52% SEL and 42% Energi's this from my FORD Dealer's Sales Manager and they aren't an  Electric Dealer so they can't sell Plugin's. :)

Paul

Not sure this is relevant for the past, but could be. An interesting note that FORD is pushing now for Sales of CMAX's  6% SE, 52% SEL and 42% Energi's this from my FORD Dealer's Sales Manager and they aren't an  Electric Dealer so they can't sell Plugin's. :)

Paul

To cheap to certify their technicians. That's why they can't sell em. I don't think they can even sell hybrids without

the certification.

Edited by drdiesel1

To cheap to certify their technicians. That's why they can't sell em. I don't think they can even sell hybrids without

the certification.

The Owner doesn't want to spend the money. They sold a couple of 2013 CMAX's and probably traded a couple. That's strange in that they have had 20 Fusion Hybrids and usually have at least two in stock all the time. Still haven't got one 2014 CMAX yet. They said they just ordered one for someone. Down here most small Dealers aren't certified, I guess eventually they all will. ;) 

Paul

The Owner doesn't want to spend the money. They sold a couple of 2013 CMAX's and probably traded a couple. That's strange in that they have had 20 Fusion Hybrids and usually have at least two in stock all the time. Still haven't got one 2014 CMAX yet. They said they just ordered one for someone. Down here most small Dealers aren't certified, I guess eventually they all will. ;)

Paul

Same as tooooo cheap :twister:

Everyone should own a battery charger. Especially C-Max owners. http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SSC-1500A-CA-SpeedCharge-Charger-Battery/dp/B000H961YI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406485546&sr=8-1&keywords=1500+ship+n+shore+charger

You'll never suffer this problem again if you use it to maintain your battery every 3 to 6 months.

I use it on my non hybrid vehicles every 6 months. My wire's original car battery lasted 8 years to the month

by being serviced on a regular basis. The C-Max is no different, IMO. It's a small battery and requires more

frequent charging due to the issue's Ford hasn't been able to correct. Just use it and you'll be very happy.

So is this for the Energy or Hybrid? I have a 2014 model, should I be worried?

Both/all cars. Batteries should be serviced too.

Odd, I thought that modern batteries in cars are maintenance free, and do not require periodic maintenance. This should be done in cases where you park your car for prolong period of time, let say month. With daily driving it should not be needed, as car electronics are capable to maintain battery optimal charge, this is not model T. I understand rational behind your statement, but not everyone have an ability to charge car battery. What if someone live in a big apartment complex with no garage and only street parking? What we have in our C MAX is engineering defect. Hopefully Ford can isolate issue/s and final fix it once and for all.   

Odd, I thought that modern batteries in cars are maintenance free, and do not require periodic maintenance. This should be done in cases where you park your car for prolong period of time, let say month. With daily driving it should not be needed, as car electronics are capable to maintain battery optimal charge, this is not model T. I understand rational behind your statement, but not everyone have an ability to charge car battery. What if someone live in a big apartment complex with no garage and only street parking? What we have in our C MAX is engineering defect. Hopefully Ford can isolate issue/s and final fix it once and for all.   

They are maintenance free--the electrolite needs to be checked once or twice a year to make sure it is reasonably full.  AGM batteries are 100% maintenance free. 

Any new car that is driven regularly doesn't or shouldn't need routine trickle charging or battery reconditioning or whatever.  As one owner pointed out, he checked his voltage at midnight and it was fine--6 hours later the battery was dead.  This is a manufacturing/engineering defect, not an owner fix-it-yourself scenario. 

You can believe and do whatever you like with your car. Same as I can. Don't listen to me, I don't know anything.

Happy motoring...................At no time in any of my posts did I say this was a FIX for dead battery problems.

You guys seem to read stuff and come away with some twisted idea of what I posted. You seem to hear

what you want when clearly, I never made those statements. READ and COMPREHEND. Do whatever you want,

I don't care. Just stop twisting my statements to fit your outlook on issue's.   Thanks!

For those interested in my posts, I'll continue to give sound advice ;)

Edited by drdiesel1

Ok ENOUGH - Cool it guys - be respectful or just go to youtube and watch some dumb cat videos and release your anger there.

Seriously, NO ONE wants to see a p*ssing, personal attacks here and I don't want to clean up these spiteful, ugly posts. K.

Both of you have been warned.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

With the utmost respect Diesel1.......this is what you wrote:

Everyone should own a battery charger. Especially C-Max owners. http://www.amazon.co...n shore charger

You'll never suffer this problem again if you use it to maintain your battery every 3 to 6 months.

Here it is......do this and you will have fixed the problem.  What other way is there to interpret it?  I'm not twisting words--it's unambiguous.  Use a battery charger every 3-6 months and you will have fixed the problem!

Edited by Adrian_L

With the utmost respect Diesel1.......this is what you wrote:

Everyone should own a battery charger. Especially C-Max owners. http://www.amazon.co...n shore charger

Here it is......do this and you will have fixed the problem.  What other way is there to interpret it?  I'm not twisting words--it's unambiguous.  Use a battery charger every 3-6 months and you will have fixed the problem!

With all due respect... WHERE DID I SAY FIXED ????

If your car dies within 3 months, then the dealer should be able to find the draw. If not, go to someone else.

The charger will maintain the battery and obviously there's a major problem if it can't go 3 months.

99% won't have this happen if they charge the battery. Your dealer is useless.

Edited by drdiesel1

From various topics/posts it sounds like the problem is a "random" high current draw (maybe 5 to 10 amps) that can discharge the battery in hours.  What triggers it is unknown (to us owners anyway).  It might be related to moisture, bad software, bad hardware, operating conditions/states before turning "off" the car, etc, etc, or some crazy combination.  There could be multiple causes.  We know the car "turns on" in the middle of the night and does stuff.  Maybe something doesn't turn back off - or the wrong thing turns on......  A small continuous load could be found and periodic charging could keep the battery charged (if the car didn't).  A "random" one is hard to catch.  We don't know how many times the battery was being rapidly discharged but didn't get too low before the car was started.  My two incidents left the battery down around 3 volts!.  If we had tried to start a few hours earlier it might have done so - and we none the wiser.  For now, it seems like the best method of warning would be a voltage monitor that some how alerts you (pick a method) if the battery goes below a certain voltage.

Aug 1, last Friday was the third time that our C-max battery failed in the last 13 months. This time it totally drained the battery and had to be replaced at the dealer. We have had little or no rain in the last three weeks and the car is driven every day so I would guess that moisture is not a possible culprit in my case. In all three instances, the car is fine when we pull it into the garage and the next morning it is dead. We are very careful to make sure none of the accessories are left on and the keys are out of the ignition. What ever is causing our battery failure must be a signicant amp draw to drain the battery overnight.

I had a chat with Ford customer service in Michigan this morning and she said that the engineers are working on a solution to fix this problem. For the moment I am skeptical but we will have to see what the final result will be. I have had all the current updates done and so far nothing has helped this situation.

It would be interesting to know if there are any C-Max owners who have had two or more battery failures if they have gone six months or more without a recurrence of battery failure? Every time I thought I was in the clear, it has happened again!!

Aug 1, last Friday was the third time that our C-max battery failed in the last 13 months. This time it totally drained the battery and had to be replaced at the dealer. We have had little or no rain in the last three weeks and the car is driven every day so I would guess that moisture is not a possible culprit in my case. In all three instances, the car is fine when we pull it into the garage and the next morning it is dead. We are very careful to make sure none of the accessories are left on and the keys are out of the ignition. What ever is causing our battery failure must be a signicant amp draw to drain the battery overnight.

I had a chat with Ford customer service in Michigan this morning and she said that the engineers are working on a solution to fix this problem. For the moment I am skeptical but we will have to see what the final result will be. I have had all the current updates done and so far nothing has helped this situation.

It would be interesting to know if there are any C-Max owners who have had two or more battery failures if they have gone six months or more without a recurrence of battery failure? Every time I thought I was in the clear, it has happened again!!

I had two dead batteries within a week.

I found a Wireless voltmeter on line (http://www.i-voltmeter.com/) that appears to be able to log Voltages over time and can send Info 30ft to Iphone or computer, maybe there is something here to figure out the problem. Maybe someone smarter can put it together. What do you think? :)

Paul

I think it might be a good idea.....and I Ford should buy all of us one!

Thank you Snowstorm,

Sometimes a naive hope exists that there is a quick fix for a complex problem.  Initially it "seemed" that there was some sort of parasitic slow drain to the battery (like leaving the glovebox light on).  But if you have been following the forum, this is clearly not the case.  Buying a trickle charger won't help (unless you plug in your car 24/7 - who wants to do that?) "Maintaining" your battery every 3 months won't help.  Buying a voltmeter won't help, unless there's some kind of alarm when the voltage drops below a danger point and you slap on a charger. 

Thank you Snowstorm,

Sometimes a naive hope exists that there is a quick fix for a complex problem.  Initially it "seemed" that there was some sort of parasitic slow drain to the battery (like leaving the glovebox light on).  But if you have been following the forum, this is clearly not the case.  Buying a trickle charger won't help (unless you plug in your car 24/7 - who wants to do that?) "Maintaining" your battery every 3 months won't help.  Buying a voltmeter won't help, unless there's some kind of alarm when the voltage drops below a danger point and you slap on a charger. 

It maybe easier than that , because if you know you have problem it you only need to turn the car on and off to solve the problem. I have parked my car at night in the garage and have heard sometime running under  the rear of the car, by turning the car on and off it goes away. :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones