new trans at 52k miles

AZTAXI

I'm sorry to say our first Cmax needs the transmission replaced at 52,000 miles. It's under warranty but I hope this was a fluke. Who else has been running up the mileage on a Cmax quickly?

What are the symptoms ?

Supports my thought to get an extended warrantee before the end of the warrantee.

The car was making a loud whining noise whenever it was acclerating or braking. The noise seemed to be coming from the generator area. Ford does not service it separatly so they need to throw a new unit in the car. The trans alone is $3600 my cost if I need to replace them out of warranty.

The car was making a loud whining noise whenever it was acclerating or braking. The noise seemed to be coming from the generator area. Ford does not service it separatly so they need to throw a new unit in the car. The trans alone is $3600 my cost if I need to replace them out of warranty.

The trans has an 8 yr. 100K mile warranty in all non CA emission controlled states.  All states the follow the CA regulation

will carry a 15 yr. 150K mile warranty coverage period.

Here's the coverage charts.....

post-1464-0-22244100-1380908430_thumb.jpg

post-1464-0-84597600-1380908434_thumb.jpg

The trans has an 8 yr. 100K mile warranty in all non CA emission controlled states.  All states the follow the CA regulation

attachicon.gifFed.jpg

attachicon.gifCA.jpg

Not necessarily so.   Depends on how it's classified by FORD.  Toyota classifies the transaxle as part of the power train and not a component of the hybrid system.  Yeah, BS!

The dealer is stating that this would be covered up to 60,000 miles.

I hope this is not a systematic problem.  I had a Toyota Van which had a known transmission flaw and Toyota had kind of a secret extended warrantee, but my trans went after the extended period.  Actually it started to go during the period but I didn't know it was a problem until after the extended period.

attachicon.gifFed.jpg

attachicon.gifCA.jpg

If I had know this it might have have been worth it to buy from a state that has the CA regulation.

Not necessarily so.   Depends on how it's classified by FORD.  Toyota classifies the transaxle as part of the power train and not a component of the hybrid system.  Yeah, BS!

If it's an AT/PZEV related component, the 8/100K or 15/150K applies.  The OP's statement leads me to believe it's an MG1 problem.

Edited by drdiesel1

I bought my C-Max in October 2012 and currently have about 37,000 miles, mostly long distance highway. Believe there are a few others in this forum with similar mileage. I recently purchased an extended warranty (48 months/100,000 miles, $100 deductible) through my dealer.

It's called an eCVT Electronic / Constant Variable Transmission. Some just call it a CVT

I heard it called a Continuously Variable Transmission.  Here is a thread on how the prius trans works, My inderstanding is that the Ford eCVT is very similar.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2612-how-a-ecvt-works-video/?hl=transmission&do=findComment&comment=28282

My point was that the C-Max does not use a conventional transmission design that has been around forever. The hybrid powertrain is very different from a conventional automobile.

Ford calls it a transmission in it's technical documents, good enough for me. From the Transmission Overview document:

Transmission Overview

The Electronically Controlled Continuously Variable Transmission (eCVT) has the following internal components:

Traction Motor

Generator/Starter

High voltage terminals

Pump and filter assembly

Transmission fluid auxiliary pump

TR sensor

TFT sensor

Planetary carrier

Differential carrier

etc., etc.

I heard it called a Continuously Variable Transmission.  Here is a thread on how the prius trans works, My inderstanding is that the Ford eCVT is very similar.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2612-how-a-ecvt-works-video/?hl=transmission&do=findComment&comment=28282

The Ford trans is very different to the Toyota design. Our MG1 is on a separate shaft from MG2. It's the main reason we have an

85 mph EV capable top speed. We also have the electronic downhill assist. IIRC, the trans can also lower ICE RPM's based

on load and torque input data. The Energi models have an electric ATF pump for extended EV operation and high speed operation.

Edited by drdiesel1

The Ford trans is very different to the Toyota design. Our MG1 is on a separate shaft from MG2. It's the main reason we have an

85 mph EV capable top speed. We also have the electronic downhill assist. IIRC, the trans can also lower ICE RPM's based

on load and torque input data. The Energi models have an electric ATF pump for extended EV operation and high speed operation.

Ok, so it's different than the Toyota. But that video will give a person a good understanding of how an eCVT works. It's a planetary gear set with two electric motors. Find a better video, post it.