Differences between 2013 and 2014?

HendersonD

Over the past two days I have test driven several cars and will be purchasing a C-Max SEL. I am trying to get a definitive answer on the differences between the 2013 and 2014 model year. I asked at the dealer and the salesman said there are no differences. I read on Ford's website that the 2014s will have:

• New transmission gearing
  • New hood seal
  • Front and rear tire deflectors
  • A-Pillar moldings
  • Rear lift gate deflectors
  • New engine oil

The changes above are all an attempt to raise the C-Max's mileage even further. My local dealer has quite a few 2013 C-Max's on the lot. Should I purchase one of them or order a 2014?

Base price is the same for the 2013 and 2014. Ford has some incentive right now that lower the price a bit, the incentives end on January 2nd and according to the dealer there will probably be new incentives starting them. Whether they are the same incentives, better, or worse he did not know. If the 2014 got an additional 2, 3, or 4 more miles per gallon I might be tempted to order one and not purchase a 2013

The dealers around here seem to always have a $5. 6. 7. ... K discount on 2013's - or at least a couple in inventory.  I would think you should be able to drive a good bargain right now.  Many of us plan to tweak our 2013's with 2014 updates as much as possible if the price is right.  I would seriously look at 2013 possibilities, esp. if $ make a difference, and you plan on keeping for a long while. Yust my 2 cents worth.   Nick 

Edited by C-MaxSea

Indeed the discounts are running high for 2013 now. However please remember it is the first year of production. Typically, Ford is not very good in producing quality vehicles at their first model year. Yes you can get it cheap, but what do you do if something fails let's say once a week?

Indeed the discounts are running high for 2013 now. However please remember it is the first year of production. Typically, Ford is not very good in producing quality vehicles at their first model year. Yes you can get it cheap, but what do you do if something fails let's say once a week?

Mine was a 1st year, built in Oct2012, not exactly the 1st cab off the rank but my Maxine SEL has been trouble free. The worst issue for me was the GPS issue and that was gone with a new module and thank goodness I had no dead battery (other than the one time the Ford shop test driver inadvertently left the headlight on). The ones built post 1/1/13 are fine but as always, theres a slim chance of a potential of lemon in any car you buy even top brands like Aston Martin/Jaguar - it doesn't matter as I had the latter brand happend to my family. We still own and drive Jaguars.

The fit and finish for the CMax is pretty darn good, its SOLID so :airquote: once a week failure is conjecture...if it does happen, go get yourself a lottery ticket....you're good at picking the long shots ;)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I wish that Ford's website had the MPG posted for the 2014 C-Max's. On the site it just says TBD (To be determined). Since they are shipping I cannot imagine the mileage numbers are too far behind. I know that other than the minor changes described at the beginning of the post, the 2014 will be the same as the 2013. If these minor changes yield a few more MPG I will order a 2014.

I will try and call Ford tomorrow and see if I can get more information. Happy new year

I posted this in another 2014 topic but I'll add it here too...

The only 2014s at dealers are 2014 Energis...2014 Hybrids are nowhere to be found. I believe the 2014 Energi is unchanged from the 2013 Energi. It appears that Ford has not started production on 2014 hybrids, just 2014 Energis.

I must disagree with you here, I ordered mine in July 2011 and picked it up Sept 24 th 2011 YES it was the first delivery into the state of Maryland. Aside from the tweaks Ford did along the way for the tail gate and NAV system and my sync I have had ZERO issues with my first to ship car. I have 22,000 miles right now and 43.7 MPG lifetime through 2 winters and one summer.

Next IF I could drive a hard bargin for a 2013 I certainly would do that because I don't think Ford is going to get much more out of the C Max on the highway due to its shape. I don't think anybody is complaining about its City MPG's. The lower the first cost of the Max the faster the payback for the FE savings.

The difference in fuel costs between a 50mpg and 43mpg car over a year (15k miles) is a whopping $200.   With the final 2013's heavily discounted along with rebates and more favorable factory financing, there's no way you'd ever make up the difference.

Foto is right; and if the difference is the more likely 2 or 3 mpg, a whopping $50 - $100 a year.  The 'birds are in the hand',  grab a deal if you can.   Also, remember that the cars at the dealer now were built in the last couple months, well into resolved minor technical issues timeframe.  Could not be happier with our 2013 (born Aug 2012).

2013 , 2014, either way a winning proposition - it's just money.

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

Also, remember that the cars at the dealer now were built in the last couple months, well into resolved minor technical issues timeframe. 

Well, in my local dealership I do see a couple of heavy discounted cars ($7K off MSRP) built in Jan 2013  :)  It explains why they do have such a discount. So the assumption that issues has been resolved is incorrect. 

BTW you can use this link to determine a build date using VIN: http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleSelection.do

Well, in my local dealership I do see a couple of heavy discounted cars ($7K off MSRP) built in Jan 2013  :)  It explains why they do have such a discount. So the assumption that issues has been resolved is incorrect. 

BTW you can use this link to determine a build date using VIN: http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleSelection.do

The assumption that these cars continue to have issues in them as they are built in Jan 2013 is also incorrect. Discounts are they to boost sales for their end of year goals for the dealers as well and given the 14s are coming...its a bargain to be had.

Also, any CMax that is purchased, Ford dealers will update it with the latest version of the software. This car is unlike other gas cars and its like driving a PC - software updates are to be expected for the MFT and other components.

Go for a 2014 Alexus! 

And for the more frugal out there (that's me :skateboard:) - 2013, 2014 essentially the same, either way a winning combination - it's just money.  (January, Feb, March, April ....... 2013 build dates, it is all good)  Negotiate hard (get a free maint. plan thrown in), buy smart (buy an extended warranty if you like (better yet, get it thrown in)), and 'manage' your dealer.   :rockon:

Jus saying,

Nick (sitting pretty on a 5 yr MP & an 8 yr EW)

(put another way per George Costanza:  for a 2013 - 'you've got hand'!)

Edited by C-MaxSea

Personally IMO I can't see how they can get more than one mile per gallon with new improvements. The improvements we have been doing are a lot more than the slight changes they say their doing. :)

Paul

I could be wrong but part of the improvements include implementing the CVT from the Energi...that would be the most interesting part to see if the MPGs are better for City driving. If they can provide quicker acceleration from 0 to 35mph with less EV usage without the heft of the 300lb pack of the Energi, that would be MOST interesting. EV/City speeds is the KILLER app of the CMax. Jus my 2c.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Go for a 2014 Alexus! 

2013, 2014 essentially the same, either way a winning combination - it's just money.  (January, Feb, March, April ....... 2013 build dates, it is all good)  Negotiate hard (get a free maint. plan thrown in), buy smart (buy an extended warranty if you like (better yet, get it thrown in)), and 'manage' your dealer.

Thanks for useful tips! I'll probably wait for 2014, unless there is a really good deal for 2013 built after October. But I wouldn't agree that hybrid battery for a car built in January is still good, after sitting for the entire year on parking lot  :secret:  What do you think?

Thanks for useful tips! I'll probably wait for 2014, unless there is a really good deal for 2013 built after October. But I wouldn't agree that hybrid battery for a car built in January is still good, after sitting for the entire year on parking lot  :secret:  What do you think?

Thanks Alexus, the 'age of battery' concern is a good one.  Personally, I would not worry too much about the battery, esp. with a good warranty.  The build date is essentially a sliding scale for negotiation - the older the vehicle, the harder I'd bargain (and the more testing/documentation I'd want done to show the battery is still prime). Ours was five months old when we bought it, and we have had no problems.  All I see right now is a great opportunity to get a great 'new' car at a huge discount - the first such window for the C-Max. 

Edited by C-MaxSea

After test driving the C-Max twice and looking at the various packages we have decided to purchase a Ruby Red C-Max with panoramic sunroof and package 302A (navigation, Sony sound system, HD Radio, Backup camera, hands free ligtgate). No local dealer (not a single dealer in New York) has this exact configuration in a 2013 so we will be ordering a 2014. As a bonus might just get a few more MPG.

I called Ford today and the women I spoke with could not give me an answer on 2014 availability. She could not even tell me if the 2014 Hybrid (not Energi) was being built yet. She is going to research further early next week and get back to me. Hopefully I won't have to wait longer than 8 weeks to get one.Of course the 2014 C-Max mileage is still TBD on the website