Black with sunroof or red without.

HendersonD

This is a tough choice. I don't think I could do black. As ScubaDad said, it gets hot and shows of dirt and road salt better than any other color. These would be issues for me, as I don't tend to wash the car much. I recommend asking if the dealer could find the exact combination that you want if it isn't one of those two. It is such a nice red and that might have been my first choice if a choice were available late in 2012.

I would never have ordered the sun roof, but I could either choose that or wait until 2013 (and another year for the tax credit) so I took it. The pano roof makes me happy every single time I get in the car and I couldn't even tell you why because the driver can't see it while driving. It is just that good. I have not seen anything on how it affects the safety of the car, but I can't imagine that it enhances it.

People are commenting mostly about having the sun roof or not, but as far as the choice by color alone, I always preferred light color cars. In my opinion, I believe that dark color cars are less visible and less noticeable than lighter color cars to other drivers and pedestrians at night time. I wanted an ice storm C-Max, but accepted an in-stock ruby red instead of a three month wait for a factory order ice storm. I can't quote any studies to back up this belief. Maybe color doesn't matter much with all the side lights, running lights and reflectors scattered all over the car.

Are black color cars significantly hotter in the sun in summer than lighter color cars?

I've been satisfied with the ruby red, and in reality it's probably not that much lighter color than black. I don't feel like my C-Max is a "stealth" color, but I do sigh when I see an ice storm color vehicle. Just my 2 cents, your opinion may vary.

Edited by rek

7 hours south sounds like an easy one to bring in if it available. Contact your local dealer and have them call to see if it is available and have it shipped up. When we went to our dealer and searched available vehicles on their inventory list they came back with a candy blue one available and we went to work getting it shipped. As it turns out after a call to the dealer who had it that it was infact already sold. It is the one problem I had with our search for a new vehicle. Not sure why ford can't mark vehicles in their inventory as sale pending if a deal is in the works on the vehicle. We finally settled on the ice storm and are now very happy with the colour. I wasn't so sure I would like it when we ordered it but once we got it I fell in love. Good luck on your search and hope you get what you want.

Cheers,

Bruce

...I can't quote any studies to back up this belief. Maybe color doesn't matter much with all the side lights, running lights and reflectors scattered all over the car.

Rescue vehicles and fire trucks are now a light color for this very reason.

I did a little research and find this AAA white paper to be a good source. It includes a fire truck reference consistent with Bill's post.

https://www.aaafoundation.org/sites/default/files/CarColorAndSafety.pdf

Its recommendation, however, is not helpful.

"...there is presently no scientific evidence supporting the selection of one particular vehicle color as the unambiguous best choice for safety."

There is a recommendation for fire trucks, because some volunteer fire fighters decided to take data when Dallas switched from red to lime yellow. Red lost.

http://www.usroads.com/journals/aruj/9702/ru970203.htm and

http://psychthecore.wordpress.com/why-oh-why-are-fire-engines-painted-red/

I'd been told by DMV personnel that red was a bad choice, and there's one time of day when that's exactly right - dawn/dusk. When the sun is low in the sky, the sky turns red. Under red light, all objects appear red, so the red vehicle disappears into the background....

That said, get the sunroof; it's neat.

Have fun,

Frank