12 Volt Battery Failures After Customer Satisfaction 13B12 Update

salman

• 2 weeks later...

I had this work done on December 13.  Prior to that time, I had not had a battery failure.  However the dealership told me that the battery was almost completely drained, and they replaced it.  Yesterday, I went out and found the battery completely dead.  I could not open the card with the key fob and nothing was working.  I called Ford Roadside Assistance and they sent someone who tried to jump it.  That caused the dashboard lights to come on, but the car would not crank.  (Battery warning light was illuminated on the dash, as well as various error messages.)  I called Ford Roadside Assistance again and got a tow truck.  We towed it to the dealer who told me that they couldn't even look at it until today.  

So. . .I will soon have my third battery in little more than a year.  I have less than 5800 miles on the car.   I did not buy a new car in order to have these kinds of problems.  I am 64 and have never owned an American-made car before.  I am beginning to think that I've made a big mistake.

Did my 13B12 work at Freeway Ford (Denver) on Jan 14, 2014.  Was told battery was fine, no replacement done.  Car found dead in garage this morning.  First dead battery problem for us, but just got the car this Fall.  We love this car but will NOT tolerate dependability issues.

Scott in Denver

I had this work done on December 13.  Prior to that time, I had not had a battery failure.  However the dealership told me that the battery was almost completely drained, and they replaced it.  Yesterday, I went out and found the battery completely dead.  I could not open the card with the key fob and nothing was working.  I called Ford Roadside Assistance and they sent someone who tried to jump it.  That caused the dashboard lights to come on, but the car would not crank.  (Battery warning light was illuminated on the dash, as well as various error messages.)  I called Ford Roadside Assistance again and got a tow truck.  We towed it to the dealer who told me that they couldn't even look at it until today.  

So. . .I will soon have my third battery in little more than a year.  I have less than 5800 miles on the car.   I did not buy a new car in order to have these kinds of problems.  I am 64 and have never owned an American-made car before.  I am beginning to think that I've made a big mistake.

Did my 13B12 work at Freeway Ford (Denver) on Jan 14, 2014.  Was told battery was fine, no replacement done.  Car found dead in garage this morning.  First dead battery problem for us, but just got the car this Fall.  We love this car but will NOT tolerate dependability issues.

Scott in Denver

BullDurham and ScottWally,

Let me lend a hand. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll see how I can best assist.

Ashley

Hi Ashley.  I'm evidently not able to pm without 5 prior posts.  This is my first post.  My experience is similar to Scott's and BullDurham's.  12K on the car, third battery fail, first time after software patch or whatever the 13B12 was.  I'm in SE Mich so you know the temps recently. We like the car but obviously it creates serious risks if there is a persistent probability that it won't start.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ashley.  I'm evidently not able to pm without 5 prior posts.  This is my first post.  My experience is similar to Scott's and BullDurham's.  12K on the car, third battery fail, first time after software patch or whatever the 13B12 was.  I'm in SE Mich so you know the temps recently. We like the car but obviously it creates serious risks if there is a persistent probability that it won't start.

Mike,

Sorry I didn't see your post before now. :(

If you're unable to send me a PM, you can also give our Customer Relationship Center a call at 1-800-392-3673. They'll be able to get this squared away for you.

Ashley

• 1 month later...

April 13, 2014

Twice I've had a dead battery problem with my 2013 C-Max which I purchased in December 2012.  The dead battery issue began after I had the calibration update.  It never happened before the update.  The second occurence was yesterday, Saturday April 12, 2014.  After the first occurence the dealer told me that they had not found anything wrong but that they performed a "tsb update" just to be on the safe side.  Obviously this did not correct the problem.  I hope they have a better solution this time. 

Overall like the C-Max except for the wide turning radius, the exceedingly low body clearance (in the winter I am always plowing snow) and now this dead battery issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Two Dead Batteries after 13B12 Performed !!

Car = SE model with 201A options package (i.e., the smaller, 4.2" display screen);  ~9000 miles;  build date = Aug 11, 2012

Dead Battery History:

Bought March 28, 2013;   1st Dead Battery less than 1 month later:  April 22, 2013

Dealer reprogrammed the Front Control/Display Interface (FCDIM) per TSB 13-04-13

NO PROBLEMS FOR THE NEXT 10 MONTHS  !!  (Including long, two-week periods sitting in garage during winter)

13B12 reprogramming done late February, 2014

DEAD BATTERY reappeared about 6 weeks later:  April 17.   Dealer recharged; found no other problems.

DEAD BATTERY AGAIN  3 weeks later:  May 9.   Car towed to dealer so he could examine in "dead" state.  Still at Dealer.

Did the reprogramming cause the dead battery problem to reappear ???

How does 13B12 reprogramming (that seemed to cause problem to reappear)  differ from TSB 13-04-13 reprogramming (that seemed to prevent dead battery problem for the next year until 13B12 done) ??

• 3 weeks later...

When I first approached my dealer about a dead battery I was told that I lived in the country and it was mice. I said I've been reading about it on the forum and there are lots of people with the same problem. He knew nothing about it. I let it go, hoping it was a 1 time thing. 

After 7 dead battery issues the recall came out and I got the software update done and the battery replaced. 

Another dead battery issue and they checked it over again. Checked the charging system and charged the battery. 

Driving home from a weekend trip, about an hour from home a warning light came on and said that my AdvancTrac needed service. About the same time the airbag light came on and stayed on. Called and scheduled service. The day of the service, the car was again dead in the garage. Jumped it and took it in. 

The word I'm getting now is that it was a "bad module" that was the source of all my problems. That module is on a nationwide backorder and they are hoping to get it in the next couple weeks. They have already had the car 5 days. I had to call this morning and ask to find out that information.

Good thing is I do have a loaner, even if it is small and too low to the ground for a couple hip replacements to get in and out easily.

When I first approached my dealer about a dead battery I was told that I lived in the country and it was mice. I said I've been reading about it on the forum and there are lots of people with the same problem. He knew nothing about it. I let it go, hoping it was a 1 time thing. 

After 7 dead battery issues the recall came out and I got the software update done and the battery replaced. 

Another dead battery issue and they checked it over again. Checked the charging system and charged the battery. 

Driving home from a weekend trip, about an hour from home a warning light came on and said that my AdvancTrac needed service. About the same time the airbag light came on and stayed on. Called and scheduled service. The day of the service, the car was again dead in the garage. Jumped it and took it in. 

The word I'm getting now is that it was a "bad module" that was the source of all my problems. That module is on a nationwide backorder and they are hoping to get it in the next couple weeks. They have already had the car 5 days. I had to call this morning and ask to find out that information.

Good thing is I do have a loaner, even if it is small and too low to the ground for a couple hip replacements to get in and out easily

If you lived in the city, would they have told you it was rats?

While they have your car they should check all of the other known causes of 12v battery failure - water pump, shifter, water in wiring connectors, etc. - you will find them all in the various 12v battery threads.

• 2 weeks later...

Good thing is I do have a loaner, even if it is small and too low to the ground for a couple hip replacements to get in and out easily.

Well, it's been 2 weeks now. Called the dealer to check on it. Nothing done to my car. Part is now back ordered until July. Dealer said I could come pick up the car, I assume he wants the loaner back. He asked if I had a jump box I said no. Going to pick it up after work. Loaner is too small and low to the ground, not easy to get into to. Will risk starting failure I guess. Who knows if airbag will work, since that light is on. 

Called last week and asked them to do the seat weld recall while they had it. Don't know if that has been done. 

• 4 weeks later...

It's been well over a month now. Still not fixed. Parts not in for the seat recall either. Been driving a car that they aren't allowed to sell or drive for demos for over a month now.

I would take it to another Dealer if you asked me. Did you PM Ashley our Ford Rep.? She is a great resource and will take care of the problem. :)

Paul