Order to Delivery Time Thread

ScooterS

Oh thanks, folks, for your suggestions. I will call after Christmas and ask about the Retail Order thing. There are CMaxes on lots so it's not like our dealer is fighting for the hottest car in the universe. (Yes they are cute, and hot, but not impossible to get.)

We ordered on 11/26, 4 weeks ago, and still no VIN.

We didn't hear anything about allocation when we ordered. Our salesman put in our order via the Retail Verification (I remember them photo copying my driver's license), and I got the VIN about 10 days later and the window sticker shortly after. Order officially went in Oct. 8 or 9th and we had it November 29th. Less than 8 weeks--yet it seemed forever. I am thinking we were very lucky and had a very efficient salesman.

Same with us. Compared to some of the stories here I think out dealer was pretty good.

I paid way less than many people here, even less that Costco or XPlan. Only a 10 minute phone call negotiation. Our order was picked up quickly, we got a VIN quickly, it was built on time and shipped quickly, and we got it only two days later than the original estimate and only 6.5 weeks total. Although it felt like longer while we were waiting...

There are CMaxes on lots so it's not like our dealer is fighting for the hottest car in the universe. (Yes they are cute, and hot, but not impossible to get.)

This.

No matter what the dealers want people to think - this is still a mass produced Ford compact car.

Ford *needs* this to sell well, and catch Toyota.

This is not a rare car, a collectors car, a limited run car, or anything close. It's just new to the USA - that's all.

They need numbers on these badly, there is no reason to accept any type of "these are hard to get" stories. If you get that find a new dealer...

You are absolutely right. This isn't a collector's car. They are selling very well, but are starting to show up on dealers lots. Next week should be a good one for dealing as it is the end of the month and the end of the calendar year.

I initially hesitated to post, since some were paying "sticker" for their cars. Here is how the deal shaped up for us (roughly)compaired to the folks that bought at sticker.

Saved by making an X-Plan deal= $1500+

Saved because dealer(truly)made an error in the deal and double counted the rebate. He lived up to the commitment he made in his qoute.=$1000

Saved because the dealer gave me a better deal on my trade-in than two other dealers= $1500.

Saved because the dealer based my trade-in on him "dealer trading" for my C-Max. He ended up orderning it. He held the price of my car for 90 days. ((30 days trying to trade and 60 to get the car)). Additional depriciation would have been approx $1000.

Total Savings over Sticker: Approximately $5000.

For those who are detail-oriented, My quote was based on X-Plan. However, the dealer ended up doing it as a non X-Plan deal, since he made the $1000 error.

This savings was due to good shopping, good haggling, and good luck.

Not all will do this well, but you certainly can do better than saying "I like the Blue One. How much is it?"

As I said in another post. Do your research on the new car and your trade-in. Then Haggle, Haggle, Haggle! Even if it isn't your nature. You are not offending dealer and you are saving real cash out of your pocket! The deal isn't done until you've said "NO" at least 3 times!

Happy Holidays and Happy Hunting!

I did X-Plan, plus the 1000 cash-back rebate, and the 750 Ranger loyalty rebate.

Ahead of time I arranged the best bank loan I could find and printed out the acceptance letter.  Handed that to them and they matched it.

Ahead of time, I found a dealership on the net offering an extended warranty for about a third of the starting price and printed that out.  Handed that to them and they matched it.

(I normally don't do extended warranties, but in this case it seemed worth it.)

Left there feeling like I made out like a bandit.

But it annoys me that any of this and other such haggling is necessary in the first place.

Update: Only change is build week is now a build day. Still no window sticker. Not sure why an 11/26 order is taking so long, but it is what it is.

Regardless, I may be getting a car sooner. I needled the dealer into scouring the landscape to find one before year end, mainly so I can get a small state tax credit sooner rather than later. There were zero exact matches (gray over black, 302A + pano roof) but they switched the package to 303A and two popped up. One is 35 miles away but the dealer won't return calls. The other is a 6-7 hour drive away. They said I can go get it myself if I like. Road Trip?

Model: C-Max SEL, Sterling Gray, 302A pkg + pano roof thingy
Date Ordered: Saturday, 11/24/12
Promised Delivery time: 8 to 10 Weeks
VIN Available: 12/13/12
Window Sticker Available: no
Scheduled Build Week: 1/21/13-1/26/13
Scheduled Build Date: 1/21/13
Actual Build Date: not yet
Released from Factory for Shipping: zero
Estimated Delivery Date: zilch
Actual Delivery Date: goose egg
State: CO

I ordered on black Friday and still nothing. No ticket pulled, no VIN, no build date. Nothing. I am tempted to look and find one in the color and options i want and haggle out a new deal. I was told they put a rush on my car. Really? I would hate to see non-rush.

I am trying super hard to be patient.

That's what I did.

Try making a list of ZIP codes within 100-200 miles, and then search online for cars in stock (or in transit) that meet your needs. The cars I'd seen listed online were the same as those on my dealer's computer.

In my case, we shook hands on Black Friday and made an unbeatable deal (even though no money changed hands) so I didn't feel comfortable creating bad Car-ma (ha ha) by going somewhere else without giving them the first shot. I went in on Friday at 2PM when I knew it would be quiet and they wouldn't mind looking closely at my request. This kind of research can be a pain for them on, say, Saturday at noon when the lot is full of potential buyers.

Anyway, they loaded my parameters (color, equipment)and found the cars in a matter of seconds. I'd asked about one of the cars already, and they'd tried to buy it with no luck. Then the guy said "Wait a minute, I know someone at this dealer" (the one that's 6 hours away) and he got their commitment to trade for it in less than a minute. Bam. Done. No more waiting until February.

They gave me a copy of the invoice and said let's do the paperwork next week before the rebates expire. I thanked them and left.

They looked online before we ordered. Nothing matched. We put money down on our orders. It's just wait and wait. I will be very upset if some I wasn't dotted or t crossed is what's holding me up- Especially after I have emailed each week asking for an update and being told no change yet!

Wow - I don't understand how there could not be a VIN by now.  Do they have any explanation for that?

I think dealers are busy, too busy to do searches for us regularly. They know we've ordered, they know we're going to buy, and they aren't super motivated to be creative beyond that. Can't blame them.  Do your own search and, if you find a car you'd be willing to buy now, call or go in and say "I found a car at Such-and-Such Motors. I'd like to buy it."

Also, I found my dealer was only "sort of' helpful by phone or email. But when I was standing there on a quiet afternoon (i.e., no interruptions, no customers around), smiling and being friendly, they could see that I was genuinely interested, genuinely respectful of their time and schedule, and genuinely willing to work on a solution. In other words, go out of your way to not be a pain, and to avoid appearing demanding or frustrated. Be super friendly but firm that you want a car ASAP, even if they have to trade with another dealer.

If it doesn't work, well you've ordered a car so you've got nothing to lose, right?

I think for me the secret was getting their attention and simultaneously making it easy for them. I'd already done a lot of the work and the unspoken implication was that I had basically figured out something that they really should have already known. I stayed upbeat and friendly, but made it clear that there were two cars out there that met my needs. I asked nicely if they could please check to see if we could get one of the two, before the rebate expires. Once they got the message, they got to work.

It's not easy to pop in, the dealer is 45 mins away. I was near them a week ago but ran out of time. I agree standing in front of them gets them going but I don't have that option. While looking, they were the only ones willing to work with price AND order. All the others kept talking allocation limits. My last three emails asking about the status of the cars have gone unuanswered. I email once a week. I also ask on the ford fb page for updates. Those have been respondedly to promptly. My next question to her will Be to make sure it was ordered correctly. I know they are busy but an update would be nice. I use to think waiting on the car was like waiting for cmas. But with cmas you at least know a date. This is like waiting for a baby! Lol

I thought that it would be helpful to track the time from ordering your C-Max to actual delivery.

If your dealer has ordered a new C-Max for you (not Dealer Trade or Inventory) please post here.

I'll get us started:

Model: C-Max Hybrid SEL

Date Ordered: Saturday, 10/20/12

Promised Delivery time: 6 to 8 Weeks

Actual Delivery Date: TBD

State: TX

Enjoy!

Good idea:

Model: C-Max Hybrid SE

Date Ordered: Wednesday, 11/07/12

Promised Delivery time: 6 to 8 Weeks

Actual Delivery Date: TBD

State: Montreal, Canada

Roggie do you have your VIN and window sticker yet?  From past experience of members here, it is a good idea to make sure that your dealer ordered it correctly i.e. using the Order Verification system that has to be filled out absolutely correctly and with that system Ford needs a copy of your driver's license number.  Some members have been told that everything was tickety boo and two months down the road found out the forms weren't done correctly.  A good indication of things being on track is getting that VIN.  We got our VIN about 10 days after our order was placed.  Once I had the VIN, I could get the window sticker which shows the build date.  It took about six weeks for us to get our car which was great.  We are in Vancouver, BC

Roggie do you have your VIN and window sticker yet?  From past experience of members here, it is a good idea to make sure that your dealer ordered it correctly i.e. using the Order Verification system that has to be filled out absolutely correctly and with that system Ford needs a copy of your driver's license number.  Some members have been told that everything was tickety boo and two months down the road found out the forms weren't done correctly.  A good indication of things being on track is getting that VIN.  We got our VIN about 10 days after our order was placed.  Once I had the VIN, I could get the window sticker which shows the build date.  It took about six weeks for us to get our car which was great.  We are in Vancouver, BC

Be assured that tomorrow I called my dealer and I'll ask my VIN number. Thank you very much for the tip. :)

Lucky me, I got a car (sort of).

We're getting a car that was just delivered today to a dealer 400 miles away. By closing the deal and logging the sale today, I qualify for both the public rebate ($1000) that expires today, and the $750 Ford "private cash" offer that came in the mail. They had to make sure the car was "on the ground" and inventory was updated today, in order to qualify as a valid sale.They really went above & beyond my expectations in getting it handled.

The car is on the way and I should be able to pick it up in 72 hours or so.

The car that I previously ordered is scheduled to be built on January 21. It should arrive in mid February, and I'm sure they'll have no trouble finding a buyer for it.

Called before Christmas checking on VIN. Dealer said "We are right on track for the 10 weeks we promised!" I said No you are not, you have no VIN, you tell me it's four weeks to delivery after VIN, you tell me Ford is closed, so when they come back, unless you get the order pulled right away, you are going to miss the 10 weeks. Dealer says No! It is working! Not sure why I can do math and they can't.

I hate being right. Called dealer today. According to them, CMax is no longer eligible for Retail Order Verification, and wasn't when we placed the order on 11/26. Furthermore, they (and the entire region!) have no more allocation for *January* and nobody knows about February. So it looks like we won't even get the order pulled this month-- 10 weeks will be Feb 4.

I don't think that this dealer knows how to tell good stories. According to them: "It's not good business to build a bunch of inventory and then have it sit unsold." Oh, so it's good business not to produce cars that are already sold? I am getting kind of worried that the story will not be any more useful when it comes to service, or problems.

I really liked driving the CMax, but we don't *need* a new car.

Edited by yark99