How many miles on your car? problems?

scottwood2

Nearly 25k mi. Issues as follows:

Reliability: One dead battery, fixed under warranty. The same slew of recalls as everyone else. 

Durability: In the cargo area, the carpet and rubber tie-down surrounds don't like to stay down, and the elastic failed on the side cargo net. A creaky noise from the doors in turns.

Design: The non-touchscreen infotainment system has indifferent sound, a hostile user interface, and capricious functional reliability. The AC was more effective before the fuel-economy recall, but one can always turn on the lap vents and turn it to LO. The front suspension hits the bump stops in dips that wouldn't faze many other cars. No gear indicator on the PRNDL selector (yes, I know it shows in the dash, but that's a kludge).

These are all extremely minor things, and they don't affect my feelings for the car: I love my C-Max like I love coming home to my adoring Golden Retriever. But I do worry about these little flaws, like I worry about the lump on my Golden Retriever's flank: probably nothing to worry about, but then again, maybe serious. Is that creak in turns just loose trim, or does it suggest poor torsional rigidity? (The dealer's certainly not going to find out.) Is the terrible stereo just because they assume anyone who doesn't pony for the Sony only listens to AM, or because Ford is actually that bad at engineering electronics? (That would't be good on a hybrid.) Does the front suspension crash on dips because that's an inherent part of the otherwise excellent ride/handling compromise they chose, or because they spec'd cheap shocks that will give out at 40k mi? (Is that you, Focus ZX5?)

Still, it is my favorite car I have ever owned, and I have owned some pretty fancy cars.

Is the terrible stereo just because they assume anyone who doesn't pony for the Sony only listens to AM, or because Ford is actually that bad at engineering electronics? (That would't be good on a hybrid.) Does the front suspension crash on dips because that's an inherent part of the otherwise excellent ride/handling compromise they chose, or because they spec'd cheap shocks that will give out at 40k mi? (Is that you, Focus ZX5?)

I noticed over the years in my Chevy trucks that the standard stereo kept getting worse with each new model I bought.  The stereo in my 2008 is just OK.  My thinking is that the OEM's are doing this to get more buyers to want to upgrade to the optional unit.   I was concerned with the C-Max standard stereo unit but was delighted at the quality of the MFT.  

I'm pretty critical about audio in any form and have upgraded my various vehicles car stereos over the years myself but we didn't get any upgraded stereo, just whatever comes with the MFT system (certainly not the Sony one) and it's as good or better than most I have used and even upgraded to during the last 30 or 40 years.

Now, I DO listen to more vocal stuff than anything else (and midrange isn't as demanding) but even when I'm listening to rather heavy big band stuff I'm impressed.  Sure, the low end could be better, but most standard stuff sucks at bass (which is why I've added sub-woofs to almost all my drives.  Not going to here, of course).

So either my ears have gone completely bad (possible -- old age *will* do that) or the 2014 MFT standard stereo is quite good (and I tend to think the latter).

I'm pretty critical about audio in any form and have upgraded my various vehicles car stereos over the years myself but we didn't get any upgraded stereo, just whatever comes with the MFT system (certainly not the Sony one) and it's as good or better than most I have used and even upgraded to during the last 30 or 40 years.

Now, I DO listen to more vocal stuff than anything else (and midrange isn't as demanding) but even when I'm listening to rather heavy big band stuff I'm impressed.  Sure, the low end could be better, but most standard stuff sucks at bass (which is why I've added sub-woofs to almost all my drives.  Not going to here, of course).

So either my ears have gone completely bad (possible -- old age *will* do that) or the 2014 MFT standard stereo is quite good (and I tend to think the latter).

I thought the MFT with the 8" screen had Sony audio?  I know the standard system with the 4" screen was not. 

So the head unit for the 9 speaker upgrade is different from the MFT used in the standard 8" screen?

10k and no problems other than a defective GPS module and difficulty upgrading MFT software a year ago. A great car.

:hi5:  Yep, AE and I had the same issue and got the same fix as well about the same time - GPS has been fine ever since..yah!

As for me....34,499.2 miles (18,859EV and 1756.8 regen miles) on the odo, 96% brakescore (I sux) and 50.4MPG lifetime (I sux 2)..keep on  :shift:

I thought the MFT with the 8" screen had Sony audio?  I know the standard system with the 4" screen was not. 

So the head unit for the 9 speaker upgrade is different from the MFT used in the standard 8" screen?

Pretty sure I don't have Sony audio in my 8" MFT -- I'm sure it would say that somewhere (they would tout it somewhere.  Plus -- it doesn't have some of the features that I suspect come with that higher end audio, like DSP and Space Compensated Volume).

What I *don't* know is if the "standard" MFT audio is any different from the 4" audio system.  All I'm saying is that it sounds just fine to me.

• 2 weeks later...

You need the SEL with Equipment group 301A to get Nav and Sony 9 speaker audio system.  The regular stereo has 6 speakers.

202A with the SE will give you 8" LCD with Sirius Satellite radio but not the Sony audio.

So we have 3 options for head units then on these cars. 

1) Standard radio with 4.3" screen on the SE (6 speakers)

2) MFT system as an option on the SE and standard on the SEL (6 speakers)

3) MFT system with the Sony radio/upgraded sound system (9 speakers)

I think the 6 speaker system is the same for options 1 and 2 above.  I don't know if the 9 speaker system is all different speakers or is it just 3 additional speaker?  

In my test drives with the car I noticed a big difference in the audio quality between options 1 and 2.  I have not heard option 3.  

Edited by scottwood2