Did Ford totally quit Sync 2 support?

It was always a struggle for me to download updates from the ford site, the last update I can't even remember how I got a copy of the file - I had to really finagle with owner.ford.com site  but did get a copy on a USB stick finally.  It took quite a while to update and did have some nice features but yes, it's Sync 2 - a system that Ford is no longer interested in supporting and if I were them I would have terminated the Microsoft contract with gusto.

They want you to buy the new car with Sync 3 - you all might be used to the software development world where it is possible to apply updates on a routine basis but this is a car vendor - computers used to be for the life of the car, under the hood.  They want to treat Sync 3 like any other new model year feature.

Apparently the Sync 3 update also involves newer, updated hardware with capacitive touch screen and more powerful CPU in the embedded computer.  There's at least one company I saw someone link to on here that sells retrofit kits, they aren't cheap.

I found a version online that has the self diagnostic test using voice control. You can activate it manually which is what I have to do because I installed the version without first, then I found the full version. It won't let me update it.

I think you can edit one of the files on the flash drive and force it to reload the same version of sync.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Ford is indeed abandoning support for Sync 2 users. I received email today from Ford stating Vehicle Health Report for Sync 2 users will be discontinued effective August 1, 2018.  More info available here:

https://owner.ford.com/content/ford-dot-com/en/tools/account/maintenance/vehicle-health-report-discontinued-faqs.html

Really bad move on Fords part. I'm pretty sure continuing this existing feature would not cost them much money. What will cost them money is people remembering Ford's poor support of Sync 2 when they decide to purchase their next vehicle (from someone other than Ford).

Edited by Zathrus

Here is copy of the email I got today from Ford.

We'd like to thank you for registering this email to receive complimentary Vehicle Health Reportsfor your 2013 Ford C-max. We hope that you have enjoyed this service that we've offered over the years to Owners of 2008 - 2016 Model Year FordSYNC®-equipped vehicles. Unfortunately, the necessary decision has been made to discontinue this service and we want to make sure that you're aware of how this impacts your receipt of the reports. Consistent with the Terms & Conditionsin the user agreement and starting August 1st, 2018, this change will result in the following:

• Vehicle Health Information will no longer be sent through the mobile phone associated with this account
  • Vehicle Health Reports will no longer be sent to this Email
  • Vehicle Health Reports will no longer be available on the Ford Owner website

For more information regarding this change, including alternative ways to obtain Vehicle Health information, please review this Frequently Asked Questionspage on the Ford Owner site.

Again, we appreciate you taking advantage of this complimentary service that we've brought to Ford Owners over the years and want you to know that you can still take advantage of the many technology features available in your vehicle. If you are not already aware of these features, click hereand select the Year, Make, and Model of your vehicle to find out what options are available.

Thank you for being a member of our Ford family and we look forward to our next opportunity to serve you!

Agree the VHR report was not very detailed.

However, the VHR was a quick way to display the Oil Life Monitor (% of life remaining before oil change) for those of us who do not want to mess with OBDII monitors. I assume the OLM feature is unique to Ford. Does anyone know which (if any) OBDII monitors read and display Ford's OLM status?

Who knows...maybe Ford will be eliminating the OLM feature as well?

Edited by Zathrus

Did not know CMAX showed oil life left on any screen. I do run the VHR. Where can I see this info?

Thank you

To my knowledge, Oil Life Remaining does not appear on any in car screen/menu.

If your vehicle is registered on Ford Owners site (https://owner.ford.com), and you run VHR, you receive an email summary of VHR which contains Oil Life Remaining. (Note: Per post 29 above, VHR feature is being discontinued effective August 1, 2018)

post-1478-0-83679300-1524272701_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zathrus