Who is going to jump to the Escape Hybrid?

markd

I'm liking alot of what I am seeing on the Escape Hybrid, and possibly the PHEV. Here's a question for the group: in the C-Max I recall reading that the hybrid drive had a higher failure rate than the non-plug ins, any thoughts on that. And secondarily, when the C-Max PHEV and ostensibly the new Escape PHEV are running in EV mode on a topped-off BATT, how can the traction motor-generator alone (for C-Max that's 44HP) carry the vehicle at fwy speeds for the advertised range? Is this a factor of the traction motor-generator is able to generate such a fantastic volume of torque? Our C-Max hybrids can run at 75mph on that 44 HP motor generator alone which is interesting to me, coupled with the higher failure of the C-Max PHEV's hybrid drives.

As an aside, the pic of the pearl white Escape Hybrid in the MT article looks similar to the Porsche Cayenne to me.

Edited by stratosurfer

Sat in ICE SEL and setting position seems similar to CMAX , but not as wide. Escape is a little more roomier and longer. Display seems smaller, didn't drive it, Dealer has Titanium Hybrid on order for me to try out.  Still thinking Plugin.

Paul

So your saying the 2020 Escape is not as wide as the CMAX?

I’m thinking plug-in also, I am just concerned on the longevity of the PSD/Hybrid drive on the plug-ins vs straight hybrid drives as I read the early CMax plug ins had a hybrid failure rate of 25%. 

I definitely like the 30 mile EV range, that is amazing, but I’m also attracted to the AWD option as I drive a lot of miles in potential rain conditions, and we can’t have both apparently.

Mark

For those curious about the spare tire in the Escape Hybrid, here is a link to a video where, at the 8 minute mark, the narrator talks about the spare tire.  Observe in the upper right corner of the trunk space an air pump.  The guy is reviewing an SE Hybrid.  I read that the spare tire is an option in the SE.  I read that the spare tire is included in the Titanium.  I would check with the dealer when ordering an Escape regarding the spare tire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JjTb3nYuv8

The SEL has 18" wheels and lower profile tires than the Titanium with 19" wheels.

One thing I need to remember when I test drive one some day is to make sure the tires are inflated to factory recommendation. I don't want to drive something that's been sitting on the lot for a while and has underinflated tires that make it ride smoother than it really does. I might have to talk them into setting them up to 10% over factory spec like I usually run. Anyone know what Ford recommends?

There's also a new RAV4 Prime performance plugin with 302 HP, 5.8 sec 0-60 and 39 mi. electric range to add to the mix.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a29833650/2021-toyota-rav4-prime-photos-info/

Edited by C-MaxJaxon

The SEL has 225/60R18 tires (727 rev/mi.), Titanium has 225/55R19 (723 rev/mi.), a 0.5% difference. 

Frank

I'm talking about the sidewall height and its effect on handling, not the circumference. The tire size calculator on the Discount Tire site shows a 0.44" smaller sidewall height on the Titanium with 19" wheels. That should make the ride firmer and hopefully more like the C-Max.

post-143-0-24762400-1574478237_thumb.jpgpost-143-0-76120900-1574478288_thumb.jpgpost-143-0-69823300-1574478322_thumb.jpgpost-143-0-55716700-1574478347_thumb.jpg

Well I took a test drive in a 2020 FEH Titanium White and got 56 mpg / 3 miles city.  The Display isn't user friendly and is going to take sometime to get use too.  It accelerates very good, spun tires on wet road and EV seems stronger than CMAX.  Handling was close to CMAX and the BridgeStones Ecopia 225/55-19 were set at 33 psi and Max is 40 psi. kind of low compared to Michelin ES 51 psi Max.  Heated steering wheel and seats. They want me to come back and test it on the FWY tomorrow, 45 min. each way we will see. Any body interested in anything special I need to look for?

Paul

Any body interested in anything special I need to look for?

Paul

Can you shoot out to the group the price the dealer will quote you? I’m thinking PHEV when they hit, but the price on the one your looking at would be helpful.

Next could you ask if a HUD may be available?

Thanks

Mark

Edited by stratosurfer

This rules out the Escape for me: “We tested both hybrids on our 75-mph highway fuel-economy route and saw 37 mpg from the RAV4 and only 32 mpg from the Escape.”

In the past I’ve hand calculated some of these trip/mpg readings shown against real world and they were off a bit. I know on my C-Max, I drive 1000 commute miles monthly (1 trip alone) and my highway mpg is about 32-33 mpg at 80mph and in quite mountainous terrain. Against what it does in the city this is obviously underwhelming. Yet against my buds that drive Tundra’s and Ford F-150/F250’s they are quite jealous as I’m over double their mpgs...

Edited by stratosurfer

MotorWeek review of the hybrid.

https://www.motorweek.org/reviews/road_tests/2020-ford-escape

Hybrid Government Fuel Economy Ratings are not yet final but we averaged 40.5 miles-per-gallon of Regular. 

As for acceleration, there’s a more forceful hit of power than you’re expecting off the line.  Engine noise increases significantly as speeds do, but it’s not nearly as offensive as most hybrid CVT setups.  60 miles-per-hour arrived in 8.0-seconds flat; with the 1/4-mile completed in 16.2–seconds at 88 miles-per-hour. 

Through the handling course, our all–wheel-drive tester felt fairly nimble with good amounts of grip from the 19–inch wheel and tire package. 

The independent MacPherson strut front suspension, as well as the independent double lateral link rear setup has more travel than before, but upgraded shocks better manage the weight transfer. 

Even with the load penalty of the hybrid hardware, this Escape feels lighter on its feet than before.  It’s not an all-out performance car feel; but just more solid, stable, and capable.

This rules out the Escape for me: “We tested both hybrids on our 75-mph highway fuel-economy route and saw 37 mpg from the RAV4 and only 32 mpg from the Escape.”

Not surprising, given the rolling acceleration... C&D found the Escape's 30-50 MPH is 20% better, telling me that Toyota has tuned the ICE operating point toward efficiency and sluggish throttle response while Ford has tuned it for drivability. 

Sounds familiar?

http://www.winonarenewableenergy.com/uploads/5/3/6/7/5367335/why_c-max_and_fusion_hybrids_are_getting_low_mpgs_2_printed.pdf

RAV4's HVB technology rules it out. 

HAve fun,

Frank