Who is going to jump to the Escape Hybrid?

markd

Seeing as the C-Max has zero rated-towing capability, or rather 'not recommended' and I tow 1,000 lbs 1,000 miles each month with the car. In the Texas Hill Country in 100F Plus heat monitoring all parameters with OPS NORMAL, I'm thinking the Escape should be quite comfortable, particularly with AWD at towing 2,000 lbs. Remember that Ford's bread and butter is the F-150 and they want to do everything possible to get you to upsize your towing capability to 'a more capable option'...

Your right, I've got a 2016 F150 4X4 with towing package for that, but I still haven't towed anything. I have hauled a lot in the back though. :)

Paul

A Ford dealership just posted the sticker for a 2020 Escape Titanium hybrid front-wheel drive.  It shows MPG - highway 37 mpg, City 44 mpg, average at 41 mpg.  That at least matches the official overall average mpg for the C-Max.  The Ford site doesn't list the mpg yet but maybe by next week.  Waiting to see the mpg for the all-wheel drive version.

Edited by joe

So... there is a 1 MPG AWD penalty! See post 68 for a Mulroney of the AWD; 40/43/37. 

Visited the Toyota dealer across from the Ford dealer today. I promised myself I'd check out all three small hybrid SUVs, and the RAV4 is the only on on the street. My first impression is that it seems to be channeling an F-150 vibe. Big and chunky upfront, lots of hood to look at before the road appears. Very similar interior layout to the Escape, unsurprisingly. I didn't drive anything, just asked for a brochure. I was surprised to find there are no specs in the brochure. Lots of pretty pictures... lots of pictures. There is a version with a sport suspension, too. Prices north of the Escape, for 2019s. We had an interesting conversation about block heaters (recommended magnetic).

So I went across the street and happened upon a row of 5 2020's without a bunch of cars in front of them, and with a 2019 Escape next in line. The front end is far lower and cleaner than it seems in photos. It's nothing like 2019, and about 8" lower than Toyota's. Sort of a catfish version of the 2-grill C-Max redesign the US didn't get. I have also changed favorite colors, now that I see them. There's another blue-green isomer, Persian Green, that I have to see in direct sunlight. In the shade, it's blue. Popular, too. 

HAve fun,

Frank

From what I've read the 2021 Escape will have the Sync 4. So, it might be a good time to wait until next year.

And if they made changes to the transmission, there's another reason to wait!

Now, with gasoline mileage ratings out, we just need the kWh/100 mile ratings for the plug-in version.  The C-Max Energi was 35 and the present Fusion Energi is 33 kWh/100 mile.

My 2013 has 85K miles and I still enjoy it after seven years. Virtually nothing wrong with it and zero out of warranty repairs. There isn't much reason to move to something new right now. It will need new tires before winter, so I will want to get at least a year out of those before trading it in. I don't expect a big trade-in since the C-Max isn't a super popular vehicle and the dealer will likely have a difficult time selling it.

Not sure I want to be a beta tester and buy one the first model year before they fix all the bugs. The recalls on my car got tiresome after a while. I've thought about leasing one to try before I buy. Have also thought about getting a lightly used one to avoid the depreciation hit.

I guess more cargo space would be nice. I do like the exterior and interior of the Escape and also the new Honda CR-V Hybrid. I will probably test drive them both and decide based mostly on how the suspension and steering feel, how comfortable the seat it, visibility, interior noise and stereo sound quality.

Also want to see what the real world fuel economy numbers are in magazine reviews, on Fuelly and actual owners on car forums.

It bugs me that you have to get the Titanium package to get the better sound system and LED headlights. I've also read the turn signals and backup lights are incandescent. :swear:

The sidewall height of the tires on the lower models also doesn't look like they will drive very sporty.

The plugin version I'm not sure about. It may depend on real world range on battery, cargo space, price and how big the tax credit is. I also don't have a 240V line in the garage or a Level 2 charger.

But I'm finding myself drawn more to the new CR-V. I'm not brand-loyal, so it wouldn't be hard to jump.

Edited by C-MaxJaxon

New MotorTrend short review, mostly of the non-hybrid. Criticisms include: cheap interior, awkward start button placement, sometimes jarring suspension and uncomfortable driver's seat. The extra weight of the hybrid gives up some playfulness.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/escape/2020/2020-ford-escape-pros-and-cons-review/

12 days - I'll check it out for sure.  Any full electric crossover/SUV with 300 mile range grabs my interest.  Of course there's little chance of getting one since after telling my wife, just today, how the hatch handle is coming off and we have to lift from the bottom hatch edge, she reiterated the "not another Ford" line. :sad:

Still, I hope its a great car for Ford.  All the Mustang and sporty stuff is OK but I'm more interested in load space (more than C-Max), a flat floor in the back, good headroom and seats all around, lower cost and, oh yes, towing.  Who ever saw a Mustang pulling a trailer? :lol2:

The EPA site finally posted numbers. They match the window stickers found by people here.

FWD - 44 city, 37 hwy, 41 combined

AWD - 43 city, 37 hwy, 40 combined

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&path=1&year1=2020&year2=2020&make=Ford&baseModel=Escape&srchtyp=ymm

2018 C-Max was 42 city, 38 hwy, 40 combined

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=39613

2013 C-Max was 42 city, 37 hwy, 40 combined

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&path=1&year1=2013&year2=2013&make=Ford&baseModel=C-MAX&srchtyp=ymm

My 2013 Hybrid was 47/47/47, but Ford paid me hush money 2 years in a row to keep my mouth shut.  :)

Actual Lifetime MPG 45.1 so not complaining.

My 2013 Hybrid was 47/47/47, but Ford paid me hush money 2 years in a row to keep my mouth shut.  :)

Actual Lifetime MPG 45.1 so not complaining.

Yes, that "hush money" was really nice!  My actual lifetime should be right at 47.  Applying that money over 184,000 miles gives an equivalent cost based MPG of about 52.  Not bad at all!  And to think that, in the "good ol' days", my dad was happy to get 20 MPG!