Who is going to jump to the Escape Hybrid?

markd

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, homestead said:

For those considering an Escape 2020.  Here is a site showing customer reviews.

Pretty poor reviews. The front seat problems seem quite bad.

The C-Max is averaging between 4.4 and 4.7 on that site depending on the model year. Mind you the EcoSport (which is an absolute &S*D of a car) is also scoring around 4.5 on average....

Paul

I sent the info above about 2020 PHEV you posted to my Ford salesman.  They replied back...

We have this same information but we have twelve units already in the order bank with 2020 vins assigned. We don't have confirmation that those would be reallocated as 2021's. There are currently about 200 showing in production for the Los Angeles and San Francisco Regions. They are also 2020 models with vins. I guess we will all have to keep on waiting to see what is going to happen with those!

On 6/9/2020 at 1:31 PM, ptjones said:

My Sales Manager just talked to FORD scheduling person and she said she didn't know when the 2020 FEHP would go into production.image.gif.999216209d74f727d2a8b8ca345e6e2c.gif Need to catch up with previous orders first. She did say eMustang, Bronco and 2021 F150 would be coming out in the Fall.

Paul

Bronco Sport in the fall, Bronco is next year (2021).

The best MPG crossovers I was able to find in hybrid form were the Escape Hybrid (non-plug in) and 2019 and newer RAV4 Hybrid.  Each is about 40MPG.

VW is planning to build the plug in ID.4 shortly -- I guess when you've been dinged by the EPA for diesel and your best gas car gets 20MPG you have not much to lose by going electric..

The Bolt and Tesla were the only other all electric cars I've found that have the range I need to visit friends in other states on the weekend.   Tesla is not worth investing in right now if they can't even figure out how to match body panels and glue a windshield in, the Bolt can be had used for $20K though.

Edited by jestevens

18 hours ago, Billyk24 said:

Ford is holding up the Escape PHEV due to it's European twin having recalls and fires with the battery pack.    Sad story.    Yet the Lincoln Corsair PHEV will go into production the first week of November 2020.

I don't think their going to make a 2020 Corsair PHEV and will probably available first part of next year as a 2021.

Paul

“Ford said the fires were likely started because of the proximity of the fuel tank to the car's batteries which overheated.”  ... “An issue with a control module could potentially cause the battery to overheat, leading to the venting of hot gases that could set fire to other components.”

Ford can likely “fix”  the overheating issue when charging with software changes  but is the proximity of the fuel tank to the HVB still an issue - will Ford have to make physical design changes?   Supposedly, owners in UK are getting a goodwill payment for extra gas since Ford told them to operate Kuga as a hybrid and not a plug-in at this time. 

In the US, my guess is that Ford would have to demonstrate to NHTSA that the fire risk has been mitigated and there is now nothing (with respect to the Kuga “fire risk”) “posing an unreasonable risk to safety” before Escape plug-in is sold.

Wait a minute.  Isn't the fuel tank close the batteries in the CMax which has never had a recall for such?   The control module as the root cause has been pointed out in the past by Ford.   I would speculate it is the battery cells itself that heat too high and cause the issue. 

Why doesn't the design team get the first prototypes of these to use as daily drivers and not figure out the quirks?

Same thing with airline accountants, all of the people for design those "efficiency algorithms" for scheduling flights should need to spend at least one night a month sleeping on a bench designed specifically to move passengers along at the airport.

Sorry.