Who is going to jump to the Escape Hybrid?

markd

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Our reliable 2018 C-Max ends in mid-May and we are reluctant to give it back. But the lease buy-out of $11K+ feels steep. 

On Wednesday we sit down with the dealer to possibly order a 2021 Escape SEL Hybrid AWD.  Still reading about some issues with the 2020's.

Happy with mine to date, a January 8, 2020 build. There are some issue to be aware of. 

The only serious one is a few cars with 12v issues not unlike the early C-Max SE vs SEL issues. It looks like a parasitic load that isn't switching off, so it drains the 12v battery charge level below minimum HVB boot requirements. Mine's been fine. Early cars got a PCM update for a "stop safely now" issue. There was a batch of bad rearview cameras, and a lot of cars have a subwoofer that rattles (I fixed mine, dealers can be clueless). Some bad seats, too (wiring issue). 

I'm sad that 2021's lose some nice things, like acoustic glass, side mirror turn signals, and 110v outlets, but gain factory-installed tow hitch and more upscale options on lower trim levels. I'm hoping reports of reduced dash content are untrue. You'll miss the HVB level gauge. 

Now, I traded a C-Max of 10/2012 vintage, so your car's already quite different (SYNC3), and it has a good transmission. My car's value was dropping in expectation that my tranny would blow, so I expect yours will hold its value a lot better. Remember, the Escape is a larger, heavier car with brick-like drag, but a wonderfully efficient 2.5L ICE and a fast-charging water-cooled HVB that has me doing about the same mileage as the C-Max. 700 mile tanks are common with the slightly larger tank. 

Edited by fbov

Thanks for the list - I've seen most of the issues in separate threads.  Yes, we will miss the energy displays in C-Max, and my wife is accustomed to 650-720 mile range in warm weather. Color options are a big reason we are looking at 2021's vs the deals on 2020's - and the chance to order an SEL without packages we don't want.

Overall, we will appreciate more interior room,  AWD, trailer hitch for gardening, and so on.  We're test driving again tomorrow so I can check ground clearance and wheel well space for snows since we are eventually replacing a high mileage Subaru for winter use. 

Update: We drove a 2020 Hybrid AWD Titanium. The turning circle is good. Wheel wells have more room for snow pack or burlier tires. Step-in height is taller than C-Max.  

Edited by jmcgliss

This Escape is my first AWD. Without snows, the Escape's forward traction is better that my C-Max with snows. Turning and braking are another story, of course, but a Subaru on snows would run rings around it. That said, the C-Max never left me hanging, it was lacking in the very worst snow. 

Set expectations accordingly. 

1 hour ago, fbov said:

This Escape is my first AWD. Without snows, the Escape's forward traction is better that my C-Max with snows. Turning and braking are another story, of course, but a Subaru on snows would run rings around it. That said, the C-Max never left me hanging, it was lacking in the very worst snow. 

Set expectations accordingly. 

In our worst snow (11") our C-max couldn't even move off our driveway. 

How does the Escape compare to C-max in turning radius?

Turning circles are comparably bad, like all FWD. A foot of snow overnight should keep you home, more so after the plow dumps another foot at the bottom of the driveway.  I will admit to driving through the plow wall once... the lower grill really grabbed snow and there was no radar until it melted. 

I should note that my only C-Max issues involved wet ice and snalt, not driving on plowed roads, even in a snow storm. Visibility has always been my limiting factor in snow squalls, and the C-Max is among the best. 

5 hours ago, fbov said:

I should note that my only C-Max issues involved wet ice and snalt, not driving on plowed roads, even in a snow storm. Visibility has always been my limiting factor in snow squalls, and the C-Max is among the best. 

I will say this has been my experience in the C-Max as well in winter weather. I live in a climate where we don't get a ton of winter precip that sticks or makes things treacherous to I just stick with all seasons year round. Not worth it to spend on winter tires when I'd make use of them maybe a week max a year if we're (un)lucky. But it's worked well for me. Straight snow I've never had traction issues, slush is about the same. Ice is the worst we deal with here (urban heat island, rollercoaster temps, and snow easily melting and refreezing) and given the conditions the one really good thing I have to say is I've found the C-Max does a damn good job of keeping you in the direction you want to go and the heavy back end tends to stay in line REAL well. And it's always felt like the traction control kicks in quite subtly and does what it needs to when it starts to lose grip.

We have one particular spot in our subdivision where the turn onto a side street ALWAYS has ice and is never treated and it's right in the path of the turn. It's slow enough that it's fun to try and get the car to kick out a bit there and like clockwork every time the back end just grips and gets back in line.

So the short summary of all that is I've personally been very pleased with winter weather handling of my C-Max here even on the all seasons (in comparison, the stock Energy Savers were the WORST by a mile).

Our 2018 C-Max with 40K miles is still on the original low-rolling-resistance Michelins. So, my wife takes the 180K mile Subaru + Blizzaks to work on the snowiest days. The stock tires that came on the Subie were too hard of a compound for winter.  This February I did have to take the C-Max on the expressway in salt / slush mix.  It tracked well and felt solid, but did not handle lane changes or turns as well as AWD.  

We also had  a scare on a cold, wet day turning left (briskly) at an intersection we know well. Except someone had dropped oil or fuel on the pavement and we went skating toward the curb.  One of the C-Max's systems must have engaged because it took more than my reflexes to straighten out.  If we had purchased the car instead of leasing, I'd buy a set of winters.

I'm seeing 43.5 tank MPG in the last 12 months, which forgives a 2000 mile break-in period.

48.1 MPG is my best multi-tank average, at an average speed of 41.1 MPH. 

Since retiring, the C-Max gave me 40.9 MPG, but I'm now driving long, hybrid-friendly routes the C-Max never saw. 

C-max saw multiple 50+ tanks in summer, averaging 49.2 in 2014 and 51.3 MPG in 2015, but at 26.9 in 2014 and 27.1 MPH in 2015.  

So, my best tank mileage is worse in the Escape, but my average speed for those tanks is over 1/3 higher than for the C-Max. 

Now, as you may have noted, I've quoted "tank mileage" above, not "display mileage" as the latter is off by ~5% in both C-Max and Escape. If you'll forgive my use of the latter, I can give you a better idea that the Escape can do. 

image.png.4c342f8ebf45757195ec685e683c98c2.png

This chart shows the trip display mileage for each of segment of 3-segment round trips. Each segment features a different driving speed, and only the 55 mph data contains a cold start. 55- and 65-mph legs are 50-100 miles, the 35-mph leg is 11.3 miles, and I have it memorized. Note that the data is segregated, Summer and Winter, so you also see the effect of temperature and weather. 

This kind of data compares very well with the best I ever got out of the C-Max. 

• 3 weeks later...

It's the only way I'm going to get exactly what I want, almost all Titanium's have Moon Roofs at a cost of $2k and I ordered trailer towing, don't know if I will ever use it.  I do want block heater. So I will see in another month. Seems like a never ending story.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...