Oil/Filter CHANGE Schedule!

I proudly own a 2017 Cmax Hybrid and had my last oil change 12 months ago (March 2020). I have driven only 3800 miles in this one year period! However, my dealer is requesting I have them perform an oil change since it's been a year, irregardless of the low mileage! Anybody have any thoughts on that rule of period of time compared to actual mileage affecting oil changes?

(My dealer has CarFax sending me alerts every other week with oil change alerts! ?)

1 hour ago, Billyk24 said:

What type of oil did you use?   Regular dino oil means you probably should change it.    Full synthetic would mean no need for a change.   

I get the changes done at the Ford Dealer...they call it "synthetic blend! " I just watched the Bob Likis Motor show and the 2 mechanics talked about "low mileage oil changes!"

They insisted on changing the oil regularly despite low mileage since the oil actually collects condensation/water especially when the vehicle is not allowed to attain full operable performance when only driven for 15 minutes or so. So, it's not necessarily the dirty oil but rather the watery condensation that is the reason to change it! 

I love my Cmax and plan to keep her....so, I will get the oil change this week! Thanks for your quick response...much appreciated! I hate wearing those silly masks ?!!!

1 hour ago, Billyk24 said:

What type of oil did you use?   Regular dino oil means you probably should change it.    Full synthetic would mean no need for a change.   

get the changes done at the Ford Dealer...they call it "synthetic blend! " I just watched the Bob Likis Motor show and the 2 mechanics talked about "low mileage oil changes!"

They insisted on changing the oil regularly despite low mileage since the oil actually collects condensation/water especially when the vehicle is not allowed to attain full operable performance when only driven for 15 minutes or so. So, it's not necessarily the dirty oil but rather the watery condensation that is the reason to change it! 

I love my Cmax and plan to keep her....so, I will get the oil change this week! Thanks for your quick response...much appreciated! I hate wearing those silly masks ?!!!

11 hours ago, Degrandbob said:

They insisted on changing the oil regularly ...

In fairness to your dealer, Ford does specify a 12 month oil change interval, in addition to the 10K mile alarm. 

In a hybrid, neither has a place. I did oil analysis throughout C-Max ownership. The data's attached. One change is early, at 12 months, and the last is extended to 2 years. There is a pattern of low and high water in the oil, with associated flash point depression. It is purely dependent on recent driving; after 100 miles at highway speeds, there's very little water in the oil. That's not true after a large number of short, low-speed trips where the ICE never gets hot. 

Ford has changed their tune. My new Escape will get ~15K miles on this oil change, because the Escape algorithm uses ICE on-time.  

Bov Oil Data 191105.pdf

10 hours ago, fbov said:

In fairness to your dealer, Ford does specify a 12 month oil change interval, in addition to the 10K mile alarm. 

In a hybrid, neither has a place. I did oil analysis throughout C-Max ownership. The data's attached. One change is early, at 12 months, and the last is extended to 2 years. There is a pattern of low and high water in the oil, with associated flash point depression. It is purely dependent on recent driving; after 100 miles at highway speeds, there's very little water in the oil. That's not true after a large number of short, low-speed trips where the ICE never gets hot. 

Ford has changed their tune. My new Escape will get ~15K miles on this oil change, because the Escape algorithm uses ICE on-time.  

Bov Oil Data 191105.pdf 39.61 kB · 1 download

Thanks for the detailed analysis! I was thinking of changing to a Synthetic Oil to extend my oil longevity, but wasn't sure it's worth it , since I'm turning 17,000 miles this week and only drive normally once a week for an all day total of 60 miles (shopping, grand kids, etc)....all local stop and go driving! I just checked my oil and it's definitely not clear but not super dark either. I stopped leasing cars ,since I don't drive anywhere much anymore!

Well, it's about $45 for an Oil/Filter change....so , once a year would seem reasonable!

Thanks again for responding! 

Just to give a little more info I go up to 30k miles on oil change which means I will add a quart at about 15K miles and I only use the ICE about half of the time. I currently have 270k miles and I also did BlackStone oil analysis and was always better than new values.

Paul

On 3/8/2021 at 1:29 PM, ptjones said:

Just to give a little more info I go up to 30k miles on oil change which means I will add a quart at about 15K miles and I only use the ICE about half of the time. I currently have 270k miles and I also did BlackStone oil analysis and was always better than new values.

Paul

Paul....Did I misread your 270k miles? You could not mean you have 270,000 miles...right?

18 hours ago, ptjones said:

You read that right, 270,000 miles and still waiting for my 2021 FEHP, probably put another 10k miles atleast until I get it in May. Was suppose to get a year ago.

Paul

That's incredible mileage! Maybe put you in a Ford commercial! By the way, I was driving in to get my oil change this morning, when the 'Oil Change Due' alert popped up on my panel! I asked the dealer why I had the alert when it only had 3500 miles since previous oil change! He 'theorized' that it was over a year that triggered the alert, but advised me he wasn't sure and that I should continue with the annual oil changes! 

Anyway....thanks for responding.....despite these crazy infiltrators on this Cmax site!?

And yes, you will get an oil change message at 10K or 12 months, whichever comes first. I see no reason for the annual change, unless you drive so little that you'd go several years. In that case, I'd test to be sure your oil is still working. As long as the pH buffer is working (TBN>~1), you're likely fine. 

Note that the new Escape Hybrid does oil changes by ICE miles. At 10K miles on the oil, it said I had 40% left... exactly my %EV over that period. I'm at ~15K miles now, and the car says I have 800 miles left  before it's due. This is consistent with my last C-Max oil change, which went 2 years and still hadn't made 10K. Bov Oil Data 191105.pdf

34 minutes ago, homestead said:

Changed mine yesterday.  Been one year.  Looked at the oil it was dirty but not as bad as usual.

Walmart: Mobile One 0-20 synthetic  5 qt $21, Motorcraft filter $4

I did mine last month with exactly the same oil and filter, also from walmart ?

Costco Mobil One:  $4.95 a quart (6 quarts to the box).  And, best of all, my local Ford dealer will allow us to bring our oil for us for oil changes!  So I have both our C-Maxs on Mobil One.  Usually go a year between changes. 

Gas is $2.35 at the same Costco... 1.5 miles from our house. 

1 hour ago, C-MaxA2 said:

Costco Mobil One:  $4.95 a quart (6 quarts to the box).  And, best of all, my local Ford dealer will allow us to bring our oil for us for oil changes!  So I have both our C-Maxs on Mobil One.  Usually go a year between changes. 

Gas is $2.35 at the same Costco... 1.5 miles from our house. 

You got a good price, I looked at Costco website and it was $41.99 for box of 6 or $6.99/qt

We've been changing oil at the Ford dealer every 6,000 miles on our leased 2018. It's parked outside even in winter.

Only at this last oil change did the service writer notice they had not been charging for synthetic, and that the spec for Hybrids is full synthetic.  When I asked "how do I know they've put synthetic in the car?" He replied that the mechanics know what to do (even though the service invoice is always worded generically). The sticker they put on the windshield always specifies a 5,000 mile interval.  

Edited by jmcgliss

On 3/7/2021 at 12:26 PM, Degrandbob said:

get the changes done at the Ford Dealer...they call it "synthetic blend! " I just watched the Bob Likis Motor show and the 2 mechanics talked about "low mileage oil changes!"

I love my Cmax and plan to keep her....so, I will get the oil change this week! Thanks for your quick response...much appreciated! I hate wearing those silly masks ?!!!

Mobil 1 is the oil I have used since I had the new 2005 Escape Hybrid.   I went 10,000 miles between oil changes in the Escape Hybrid without any engine issues.  I had to trade it in at 199,9xx miles due to rust.  I go now 20,000 miles on the CMax Energi.      You can purchase the oil at Walmart or other and take the 5 quart container into the dealership asking them to use this oil.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2021 at 5:12 PM, fbov said:

Looking at my oil data, 2 years or 10K car miles is not an issue (last change).

The 2020 Escape Hybrid goes by engine miles. I had 2% oil life remaining at 15, 627 car miles on the oil. Tank data shows 5940 EV miles over 15,848 car miles since the last change, or 9,908 ICE miles on the oil.

This oil is out for analysis now. It's the second change, but I did not sample the waste oil at 5K. I suspect 10K ICE miles is not a problem. Paul's gone longer. 

On 4/7/2021 at 9:35 AM, Bill-N said:

The assumption is that the Energi engine will be used about half as much as in the hybrid, hence the longer oil change interval.

Which is also why the Energi transmission has a separate oil pump.

That makes sense.  I completely agree.  But shouldn't the Hybrid be 2 years/10k miles whichever comes first?

EDIT-  Actually, or the Energi should be 1 yr/20k miles whichever comes first....

Edited by jzchen