People, please read your owner's manual before getting frustrated or posting!

Generalbeluga

I can't hold it any longer!   :yahoo: Come on people, read your owner's manual once or maybe even twice before you get all pissed off at your new C Max or post a question on this forum.  I can't tell you how many posts I have read about "problems with my C Max" where the issue is clearly addressed/explained in the owner's manual.  OK, we all get a little lazy at times but, let's at least try to learn the basics about the workings of our new car before getting all upset!  The C Max is one of the most technologically advanced cars on the market today, so understandably it will take a little extra time and effort on our part to get it but, that's no excuse for not even turning a page or two in the manual to see if it is covered.  I'm not trying to invite any flaming here but, just the application of a little home work.  Ok, I've said it, now I feel better!   :)

Edited by Generalbeluga

I was saying the same thing to my husband this morning.  I think because of the battery issues with the C-Max too many people are jumping onto any issue they have with the car (usually as a result of not reading the owner's manual) and are in essence slamming the car for their lack of reading about it.  I find it very disheartening.  Good for you for laying it out Generalbeluga.

I agree with the sentiments of Generalbeluga but I think one of the problems is that the owners manual organization is, at least for me, not very straight forward and that the index is also a bit deficient with the result that the new owner has to read the manual cover to cover to find some things.

Downloading an electronic version of the Owners Manual so that electronic searches can be done helps a lot given what I see as deficiencies in the Indexing and in the Table of Contents.

Downloading an electronic version of the Owners Manual so that electronic searches can be done helps a lot given what I see as deficiencies in the Indexing and in the Table of Contents.

There ya go! If you have the manual open in a desktop computer and are using Adobe Reader, you should also be able to open the Table of Contents on the right-hand side of your screen. That can help if the term you're searching for is ambiguous or used lots and lots of times in the manual.

Using the .pdf version of the user's manual has been a great help.  Just enter a word or phrase in the search box and all mentions will be highlighted.   I agree that the print version lacks a good index

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WODCMH/~MUS~LEN/41/13cmhom1e.pdf

correction: yes, you must first log in to the Ford Owners website:

https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/HomePage

Having done that you can save the manual as you choose.

Edited by doodlebug

I am surprised this got pinned - It does not seem to be a chronic problem here and in fact may discourage folks from posting if they think they will get flamed for not reading the manual.  That is what ruins good forums IMHO - this one is too small to have problems like that yet.  I agree that there are many posts where RTM would help, but considering that this is a forum (a place where people ask and answer questions, and just discuss stuff) - and since it has been a decade since my ISP charged by the Kb, I'd say live and let live.  Usually things will pretty quickly be pointed out to be in the manual, and that's that.  Contributing to the questions is that the manual is lacking (well that is being nice).  It breezes over some subjects and searching the index can almost require a thesaurus - well that may be an exaggeration but not too much.

Edited by CNCGeek

• 4 months later...

Would someone PLEASE unpin this and let it drop into the depths of unwanted postings?  I did not join this Forum to have the Forum Police decide who and what kind of questions, and how many time they can or could be asked. 

Everytime we are blessed with a new member, they will have questions.  The great and wonderful ability of a good Forum, is that there will always be a member who is willing to answer thier question.  I will be the first to thank the older members for being kind and aswering my early questions and not handing me a citation because I did not find the answer on the Forum first.

So please, lets unpin this, and remove the Chest Pounding from this Forum.  I really do enjoy the information, and the other Members and the experiance they bring.  I really adds to the enjoyment of owning my new C-Max.

Sometimes the search engine is not the greatest.  So, questions will come up again, from time to time.  It happens.  No biggie.

Other than the fact that the pinned post was made, nobody has ever jumped on anyone for asking a question that comes from the manual or previous post.  Besides, I know that I don't have a photographic memory of all that stuff in the manual!  So, as Steve Martin used to say: "EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeee!" 

i think it's a good idea (to pin it)

a faq would also help. a beginner's guide the the CMax.

i just read here in another thread that a new user has just started using  forums for the 1st time in their life because of them buying the CMax.

we assume all here are pros at forums. we should all welcome the newbies and hold their hand and welcome with open arms. I'm sure if it gets out of hand the mods step in.

not everyone is a techie.we shouldn't hold it against them for loving/buying the C-max

I'm sorry everyone especially those have a good working version of 3.5.1.  But until Ford gets their act together and fixes my screwed up MFT, you will be hearing me whine.  I should have just left well enough alone, at least everything worked before.  Now nothing works.  There done bitching...at least for now.

Edited by mtb9153