Would you buy the CMax if the advertised MPG was below 47/47?

Jus-A-CMax

113 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy the CMax if the advertised MPG was lower than 47/47/47?

• Yes, I would buy it as long as it was > 40 MPG
    • Yes, I would buy it regardless of the MPG, other factors a major influence
    • No, I would not buy it because of the lower MPG than competitors
  2. 2. As of 08/21/2013, as an owner are you...

• Happy with the current CMax MPG
    • Not happy with the current CMax MPG
    • Still forming an opinion on the CMax MPG

IMO, fuelly will always show the lower side because you're still paying for the lower MPGs during the break-in period and also the cold weather runs...ala my 2 x 33MPG runs on the 280mile hike to Mammoth. I agree the fuelly numbers will trend upward come this summer. Mind you, there are some incredible numbers on fuelly as well which leaves me scratching my head if these cars ran down a huge hill and got towed back, those are seriously, incredible good numbers out there.

On the flip side, imo, all those fuelly numbers from the cold north really kills thing. I wonder if Ford made a strategic mistake to release the CMax during the winter.

IMO, fuelly will always show the lower side because you're still paying for the lower MPGs during the break-in period and also the cold weather runs...ala my 2 x 33MPG runs on the 280mile hike to Mammoth. I agree the fuelly numbers will trend upward come this summer. Mind you, there are some incredible numbers on fuelly as well which leaves me scratching my head if these cars ran down a huge hill and got towed back, those are seriously, incredible good numbers out there.

On the flip side, imo, all those fuelly numbers from the cold north really kills thing. I wonder if Ford made a strategic mistake to release the CMax during the winter.

Maybe some folks have the C-Max Energi in there, eventhough there is a seperate category.  :headscratch:

Maybe some folks have the C-Max Energi in there, eventhough there is a seperate category.  :headscratch:

That 55 is Maximus, he's a poster here...that is a sensational mpg, a lot of city though. Just proves what this car is capable of.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/cmaximus/cmax

Way to go Maximus  :) 

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

That 55 is Maximus, he's a poster here...that is a sensational mpg, a lot of city though. Just proves what this car is capable of.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/cmaximus/cmax

Way to go Maximus  :) 

I guess I was confused by:

I could only find the one by Maximus too.  What other incredible ones were you referring to?

"The numbers" (aka 47/47/47) had little to no weight when I decided to get a C-Max.  The numbers are a test artifact, and who ever gets exactly what the numbers say (for any car)?

2 cars ago I owned a 95 Explorer.  I have no clue what 'the numbers' were for the truck.   My personal MPG for a tank, week in, week out, normally commuting, the way I drive, was 21MPG.  That's pretty much what it was for the 11 years I owned it.

A 2006 Focus ZX-5 replaced the Explorer.  Again, I have no idea what the 'Official' numbers were, but the day in/day out (same commute as the Explorer) MPG was 31, 50% as good as the Explorer.

When it came time to get another car, it was going to be a Ford with a liftgate that got better MPG than the Focus.  If there had been a hybrid Escape or a hybrid Edge in 2013, I probably would've gone that way (more cargo space), but the C-Max was the hybrid, so that's what we got.

..and the day in/day out MPG isn't 47, but it is over 40MPG, which is still 33% better than the Focus, and almost double the old Explorer.   That's the kicker for me, not the end MPG, but the MPG GAIN over the last car we had.  Plus, I still have my cargo space (more than the Focus), so I am happy.   YMMV.

I came to my C-MAX from a 2002 Jeep Liberty. It was the first brand new car I had owned in over 40 years. Long story about how I came to buy it, but it came with an EPA  MPG of 16/21. Back then, gas prices were way lower than now and I really didn't care. The only time I ever saw anything close to 21 were the couple of road trips we took in it. Otherwise, for the life of the Liberty, I got 17mpg (except when I got new tires and got 15mpg!) :cry: . Still and all, I loved it. I could go places and see things in it that I probably won't try in my C-MAX.....it was a Jeep, after all. But...I'm in a different place now, and my Jelly Bean suits me just fine. I find that I'm enjoying this hybrid kind of driving, and I'm loving being more *connected* to my car. I didn't think I'd like it....thought I'd sit too low.....but I love it. I'm getting a lifetime average so far, after 2.5 months and 3,000 miles,  of 38mpg with individual trips of 44-52. I don't care what the EPA rating is. I know what I'm getting, and it's more than fine by me. The 47/47/47 was an attraction, sure. I'd be lying if I said otherwise. And no, my average isn't that. But even if I never get close to that for an average, I'm fine with it.........but I'm confident that as soon as the Michigan temps moderate...........I'll be seeing 47 + :wub2: Would I buy one again, you bet I would! :rockon:

• 3 weeks later...

I've had mostly Honda Civics - and could pretty much hit their published numbers in real world [summer] driving over 25 years.  Last car before the C-Max was a Nissan Sentra with leather+ - but just couldn't make their numbers without a tail wind and helium balloons lifting it off the ground.  Friend's Altima had better real numbers but falls short of its pub num too.

C-Max is the first car that rewards my good habits - slow off the line, steady stopping, driving near speed limits, keeping AC and heater use down - so incredibly, and so comfortably.

I'm with you, Adair - similar range of mileage experiences and just wait until it warms up.

I didn't even read any of the other responses, just jumped to the end. 

Hell yes, and twice on Sunday.

This car is awesome.  Tons of tech.  Great gas mileage.  Great price.  Beautiful styling.  Great power.  Comfortable.  Handles well.  I would buy this car again if it only got 35 mpg.  I love this car.  It rocks.  

/ thread. 

The comfort sold me on this car.  I went to a car show and sat in every hybrid being made.  If you are much over six foot, your head almost rubs the ceiling in all the others.  Unlike the others, I could wear a cowboy hat while driving the C-Max if I was so inclined.  The front pillars don't block my view.  They tilt back and in fairly steeply in the Prius which makes the front view almost as bad as their abysmal rearview.

C-Max horsepower 188.  Prius horsepower 134.  That wasn't going to work well with all the short on-ramps we have around here.  The Max is at least 2 seconds faster in 0-60 time.

I have no doubt that I'll be able to average 40+ in this car, so there are no regrets.

I did a spreadsheet of cars I was thinking of.  Tried out a Prius and never even made a column for it.  My driving is mostly steep mountainous crooked roads with lots of speed ups and slow downs.  The dealer sent me out with a C-Max, and I tested it on my actual commute.  I am now getting 38.7, which is double what I got with any previous vehicle.  Around town, I often average 47 - 52 mpg, without trying.

When I was first looking at getting a new vehicle last year, I was originally set on getting a 2013 Focus hatchback.  I had all the options spec'ed out and knew exactly what I wanted on options.  The first part of November my wife and I made plans to get with a couple of friends of ours and do some test driving at the local dealership.  I wanted something that all four of us could ride in comfortably and something that I could get in and out of easily.  I have a medical condition that keeps the muscles in my lower back and legs tensed up all the time, so something low-slung was NOT an option.  The night before we went for the test drive I saw the dealership had a new C-Max in stock, and having never driven a hybrid or a car with a CVT, I was kinda curious what it would be like.  We actually ended up testing the C-Max first and, to my utter amazement, it completely knocked my socks off.  The room, the power, standard SYNC and dual-zone climate control...it was everything I wanted.  The MPG was just an added bonus.  My wife and I switched places so she could drive it back to the dealership, and she was just as impressed as I was.  I drove the Focus after we got out of the C-Max and it wasn't nearly as nice.  So, long story short, I'm now behind the wheel of a Tux Black C-Max, and loving it!

I bought mine with (very) early reports stating 37/38 MPG was what people reported. After driving one, I then decided for it at that MPG. My comment to a friedn was this is a great car at 38 MPG, I'll be tickled pink if it gets 42 MPG (which it does!) and absolutely ecstatic if it gets 47MPG, which seems likely.

Since my 1st one got bought back, I had every opportunity to get a refund or buy something else, but I liked the C-Max enough to stick with it!

The bottom line seems to be that it will perform differently based on your driving, but even if you don't want to coddle it, you'll get good MPG!

I was originally looking for a small car that would get mid 30 mpg but I wasn't comfortable in small cars. I'm 6'3" tall and I'm never comfortable in my old Corolla. When my knees are aching I'm miserable in the Corolla. I was comfortable in my RAV4 because the seats are higher but it only averaged 23 - 24mpg. The 47mpg rating attracted my attention  to the C-Max but several articles that I read said that the C-Max gets much lower mpg than Ford claims. That's when I joined this forum to get some honest information. I looked at the C-Max at the Cleveland Auto Show then took one for a test drive. It was very comfortable to me because I was able to sit way up high.The next thing I did was trade in the RAV4 and bought an SEL. This car is extremely comfortable to me. I've had it less than 2 weeks and my lifetime average is 34.1mpg which is alread 10mpg better than my RAV4, and the average seems to keep creeping higher. On some trips I've had low 40's. I drive almost 60 miles each day to work and back home and if I watch what I'm doing I can get 42mpg and most of the trip to work is highway.

Dman, as far as the needing interior room issue I understand perfectly.  I'm 6' 3" as well and have back problems, so low-slung vehicles are out for me.  My C-Max still amazes me with the space it provides inside and I am extremely comfortable driving it.  As far as gas mileage, I'll just go with the old "your mileage may vary", but the few times that the weather has been nice in central IN lately I've gotten over 50 MPG out of my Max.  Plus, I have a lot of fun talking about my car to people who ask me, "What is that car?  I've never seen one before!"  They usually walk away impressed, and I always tell them to go online and check out the information.  I'm trying to get the word out!  :)

I'm reserving judgement on the car mpg-wise until we start getting consistently warmer weather. However, so far I am disappointed with the highway mpg. Just one trip for a couple of hundred miles, and I have to make multiple plug-in trips to work to slowly get back to the 47 mpg combined target.

Edited by rtshinn

However, so far I am disappointed with the highway mpg. Just one trip for a couple of hundred miles, and I have to make multiple plug-in trips to work to slowly get back to the 47 mpg combined target.

Since you mention "plug-in trips" I am assuming you have an Energi... (The mobile site privilege viewing doesn't show car model even if you have put it in your profile).

The Energi is not rated at 47mpg.

The Energi is rated:

Combined: 43 MPG

City: 44 MPG

Highway: 41 MPG

http://fueleconomy.gov/m/m.do?action=vehicles&id=33336

• 2 months later...

Before I purchased my C Max I read the reviews about Mpg. I thought I would get 37-39 Mpg driving the C Max. That was good enough for me, so I purchased the car. Now my life time Mpg (800 miles) is  46.8 -- and increasing.  This car loves me. (Pittsburgh,Pa)

there is already a thread here asking about insurance premiums for the cmax.

do a search for it.

Maybe the difference is that you have the Energi which has the really big battery vs  the hybrid.   My insurance came out less when I changed from an 08 Sable to the C Max Hybrid.   This might make an interesting forum question between the Energi and the Hybrid.   Did your insurance go up or down. 

My wife has been driving a 2011 Camry & not liking it. Good mpgs, 28 combined, 33 hwy real world. Said she'd like something that sat up higher so she could see out better. She also has a hip issue & the low seat in the Camry was bugging her. We were trying to decide between a Honda CRV & Mazda's new CX5. Both are very nice but really wanted more mpgs. Stumbled across the C-Max & started reading everything I could find on it. I know we won't get 47 mpg out the gate or maybe never, but if we can get 35-39 that would be great. We both like how it sits up higher, & it will be easier for the better half to get in/out of. My insurance is going to be about $80 more a yr than the Camry, plus the new "hybrid tax" of $65 in our fair state. We're picking up our's tonight with only 4 miles on it. Very glad we didn't have to order one & wait for it to come in. I'm ready to start cruzin' now. Lol

Edited by METROMAN

Hi Metroman, congrats on your purchase.

My husband has had both hips replaced and has a lot of issues with small cars.  When I was looking for a replacement car I would narrow my search to a few and then bring him in to see if he could get in and out of them comfortably, and if he was able to ride on a test drive for more than a few minutes.  He did great in the CMax on our test drives.  He can even get in and out of the back seat, though not as comfortably as the front. 

Mine is on order now!