What just happened? Battery saver - system shutting down while driving!

Mi-C

I hope someone on this forum can tell me what just happened today. hubby driving, I passenger, going about 40mph on county paved road. when all at once, dash info screen on my-sync goes blank, then message like this: battery saver - system shutting down. A blue line moves across (similar to your computer showing length time loading file). all info screens going blank at driver dash - battery icon showing in red, and NO power steering, but car still moving, engine is on. Turned off a/c, and about 2 minutes later, dash comes back on all info screens normal looking again, and my-sync screen returns to the normal "home" screen. also, two days ago, when we got in c-max, noticed the clock in dash my-sync screen was "off" by about 6 hrs (Ie, clock said 8:30 am, actual time was about 2:00pm). we have no idea if two are related. don't know why today's screen/power steering all shut down? 7200 miles today. suggestions welcome:-). thanks to all! Creeping me out - what if We had been on interstate highway near where we live, on it often, and lost power steering like this / battery saver-system shut down thingy again?

Any chance of hubby accidently hitting the start/stop button while driving?  I know that isn't very likely, but I remember in our SUV my husband kept hitting the push button radio know with his knee when he moved around to get comfortable.  I think that isn't too likely with the position of the start/stop button but if he was fiddling with something it could happen.  You must have been really freaked and as you say on a freeway that could be so dangerous.  I would be heading into the dealership asap.  Months ago someone described a similar event happening to them, but I can't remember where it is posted or the outcome.  They got some sort of message that said stop car immediately and pull over.

From the manual (second printing) - no idea if it's relevant but y'all might find it interesting:

Starting and Stopping the Engine (pg 173)

Stopping the Engine When Your Vehicle is Moving

1. Press and hold the start button briefly, or press it three times within two seconds.

2. Move the transmission selector lever to position N and use the brakes to bring your vehicle to a safe stop.

3. When your vehicle has stopped, move the transmission selector lever to position P and switch the ignition off.

WARNING: Switching off the engine when the vehicle is still moving will result in a loss of brake and steering assistance. The steering will not be locked, but higher effort will be required. When the ignition is switched off, some electrical circuits, warning lamps and indicators may also be off.

Greeting and welcome

I found 2

"Stop Safely Now"

threads.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1157-stop-safely-now/?hl=%2Bstop+%2Bsafely

here's one from Adair

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1629-stop-safely-now-redux/?hl=%2Bstop+%2Bsafely

Looks like a trip to the dealer, maybe on a car hauler, ASAP.

You might want to call first.

Edited by wab

thanks to all who replied so quickly! Here's answer to Q's some of you ask, too:

-tks, Fotomoto= not sure if any software updates after purch; we bought this in mid-Sept 2012. See add'l notes below of prior "issues' on this car- may/may not have any connection to current issues- but taken in group .... Lowers our "confidence" as tom our safety & reliability of this car, for sure. : -(

-tks, ceemax71= no, we have never used any 12v accessories , so none plugged in at the time the "shut down" occurred.

-tks, Laurel= hubby is sure he did't bump into the stop/start button , good thought to ask though :-)

-tks, Noah H. - spent time looking at manual, caveat we did't see any message to "stop safely" as mentioned in replies by others. I have noted your info p 173 and keeping it handy. Tks.

-tks, wab, Greetings and definitely feeling "welcomed" -- so many good people replying to offer help :-). Tks for HTML links to stop safely threads .. Read them, printed out list of codes, etc,

To all: we will call local ford dlr 1st thing tomorrow and might opt to call roadside Asst. Tow to dealer. See details my next post...

Okay, mentioned losing confidence in c-max ... Here's some background to share : Bought in 09/12, had first "tow" Jan 11, 2013 we were together made 3 stops for stores, but came out at 3rd store to find gear shift was "stuck" in P, no matter what we did, it wouldn't release from P. Calls to dealer, but had to have it towed ( btw, it was parked in front of sidewalk, tow driver had to call dealer to locate a manual 'release' button so could move car to hook up to tow truck.) 4254 miles that date. Towed to closest Fd Dlr, (who do not have loaner avail- we had to call neighbor to come pick us up & take us home from Store)..Dlr called next am, said no codes, can't Dx if no codes, come get car, "may be a 1 time fluke"- & since tow driver had released shift -not stuck in P. so, we got the car. But, 4 days later, same thing - stuck in P, won't release. We called tow again, and told driver do NOT release from P bec Fd Dlr needs to see code. we also had it towed to a diff. Dealer ...one where we had punch F250 and knew they could provide a rental car under warranty while car is fixed. 4376 miles that time. this Dlr said only found 1 code, so replaced gear shift assembly, we got car 5 days later. Drove home, yup!, sucker locked in P same day, 2 hours after we just got it back "fixed.". 4432 miles then. tow truck, again, (by this time we were on. 1st name basis -same tow driver all 3 times -by now tow driver is saying must be bad Ford prod.? Cont's. My next post ...

Okay, so that time dealer kept car 7 days, had a svc tech drive it to his home/work two days with computer 'on-board' so that if it locked up in P again svc tech could hook in and try to see if Dx codes (btw - never did see more codes, and it never locked in P while there that time.). Dlr was great, put the rental car in cost of warranty again since failed same day we had picked up car. we have no idea why it happened after shifter assembly was replaced, but it WAS just fine since then (Jan 31, 2013) until today and the issue posted today.

We like much about the C-Max, and would like to not be stranded any more times. We have owned cars 40+ years---this is the only car that has left us stranded, never had to have any towed for mechanical / ?electrical? Problems until this C- Max.

we will call dealer, tow it tomorrow, and will post updates here as we learn what is wrong. THANKS SO VERY MUCH TO ALL!

Mi-C it does seem that you've had an extraordinary amount of trouble.  It might be time to consider going the buy back route.  A couple of members here have had buy backs  I don't know much about the mechanics of the C-Max but it sure sounds like transmission trouble that affects your safety.  I gather an owner can ask for a buy back if they can't fix the problems after 4 or 5 attempts. Your issues are very different from the MFT issues so if I were in your shoes I would look into that option by contacting Ford service reps.  Others here may jump in and give their two cents and advice about the buy back conditions.

Edited by Laurel

UPDATE- picked up our C-Max just now. Here's info for everyone on what was found, done ... When I first posted, we had to wait until morning to take car to Dlr, but totally dead 12v Batt & had to tow it in to Dlr Fri, 6/7. We had a chance to speak with one of the 'hybrid' mechanics, told him details. Picked it up today: 1) Dlr put on charger- not hold a charge, New Batt #BXT-67R installed;

2) "perform 13A01 Sync w MFT update recall with NAV"; 3) "perform 13B06 rear gate trunk module reprogram- rgtmodule per recall".

FYI- in mailbox on arriving home Ford envelope "Important Svc Notice" and inside were "Customer Satisfaction Program xx" letter for both #'s 2) & 3) above. Ref 13A01: Software update v3.5-includes all improvements from previous updates includes following improvements: simplified phone pairing process; enhanced voice recognition performance; improved sound quality; simplified voice commands for radio and USB -connected audio players; enhanced voice and screen destination entry for vehicles equipped with navigation; updated Bluetooth device/Sync compatibility; outside air temperature display on the 8-inch touchscreen; new 'EV Info" button on home screen that will take you to a Powerflow Screen that shows energy flow information. Ref 13B06: says ?what is the issue? Hands free lift gate opening feature may exhibit intermittent condition where it does not fully open the lift gate during a hands-free (foot gesture) opening attempt; ?what will ford dealer do? Ford authorized Dlr to reprogram the Rear Gate Trunk Module free of charge (parts & labor)... This customer satisfaction program will be in effect until May 31, 2014 regardless of mileage. coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners."

Our C-Max was 'born' July, 2012, and has 302A package plus option sunroof. (we have handsfree trunk/ hatch rear gate.) And I will add our details to the POLL questions re batt thread to contribute data for benefit of all. I will post updates as we see how the "fixes" pan out. FWIW, we also spent the weekend scouting for alternative vehicles in case we ultimately have to give up on this Cmax, too.

Thanks to everyone who replied to our 1st posting here - and for all who contribute to various topics on this C-Max forum-- we also spent quite a lot of time while our C was in for repair reading lots! Of good-to-know info from other C owners. THANKS to all!!

• 1 month later...

Recently, I've had something similar regarding the "battery saver" message.  I've been parked in my garage and pressed the starter button to operate accessories (not to start the car).  After a few minutes, I get a message in the center screen that says that I need to either shut down or start the engine and that the system is about to shut down.  It has a time bar indicating that I have maybe 30 seconds to comply.  So, I turn off the accessories by pushing the starter button.  I have to wait until the time bar fills in.    (The bar goes left to right).  Then everything is shut down.  I can then start the engine with no difficulty.  But if I push the button to use the accessories, the battery saver screen comes on within a minute.

So the question is this, could it be the 12volt battery?  Maybe I've driven around too many short trips and it's had no time to fully recharge.  My lithium battery gauage on the left side showed I had 1/4 charge.

Recently, I've had something similar regarding the "battery saver" message.  I've been parked in my garage and pressed the starter button to operate accessories (not to start the car).  After a few minutes, I get a message in the center screen that says that I need to either shut down or start the engine and that the system is about to shut down.  It has a time bar indicating that I have maybe 30 seconds to comply.  So, I turn off the accessories by pushing the starter button.  I have to wait until the time bar fills in.    (The bar goes left to right).  Then everything is shut down.  I can then start the engine with no difficulty.  But if I push the button to use the accessories, the battery saver screen comes on within a minute.

So the question is this, could it be the 12volt battery?  Maybe I've driven around too many short trips and it's had no time to fully recharge.  My lithium battery gauage on the left side showed I had 1/4 charge.

It's the 12V battery.  Effectively, all the cars electronics are 12V and, IMO, the 12V batteries seems to be woefully undersized.  The result is very limited time to use the radio, etc., without the engine running.  At least the system recognizes the battery drain and shuts down while there's capacity sufficient to start the car.

• 1 month later...

I hope someone on this forum can tell me what just happened today. hubby driving, I passenger, going about 40mph on county paved road. when all at once, dash info screen on my-sync goes blank, then message like this: battery saver - system shutting down. A blue line moves across (similar to your computer showing length time loading file). all info screens going blank at driver dash - battery icon showing in red, and NO power steering, but car still moving, engine is on. Turned off a/c, and about 2 minutes later, dash comes back on all info screens normal looking again, and my-sync screen returns to the normal "home" screen. also, two days ago, when we got in c-max, noticed the clock in dash my-sync screen was "off" by about 6 hrs (Ie, clock said 8:30 am, actual time was about 2:00pm). we have no idea if two are related. don't know why today's screen/power steering all shut down? 7200 miles today. suggestions welcome:-). thanks to all! Creeping me out - what if We had been on interstate highway near where we live, on it often, and lost power steering like this / battery saver-system shut down thingy again?

Hi, you do know that to shift out of "P" you have to depress the interlock on the shift knob, right? When my wife first got her C-Max she complained she couldn't get it out of Park...