Ford to Offer Free Updates to Boost Hybrid Vehicle Efficiency

This just in, which I asssume will apply to our C-Max hybrid models:

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2013/07/16/us/16reuters-autos-ford-hybrids.html?hp

I assume this post will get into the Ford Super News Ticker but for now, here it is.

By REUTERS

Published: July 16, 2013 at 4:40 PM ET

DEARBORN, Michigan — Ford Motor Co will offer free updates to its hybrid vehicles to improve their fuel economy, a company executive said Tuesday.

Among the improvements, Ford plans to increase the maximum all-electric speed on those vehicles from 62 miles per hour to 85, according to Raj Nair, vice president of global product development.

Owners of about 77,000 Ford hybrid vehicles in the United States and Canada will be offered the upgrades free of charge.

(Reporting by Deepa Seetharaman in Dearborn, Michigan; Editing by Gary Hill)

Let me check...no its not April 1.

This would be nice but the real world says the battery is too small to hold any decent distance even with a full battery at speeds > 62 mph,  I'll take it though. 

Ps what happened with the physical limitation aka battery limitations that was the road block in the first place when we talked about this at end of Dec2012?!?#?!

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Looks like Ford is certainly addressing several of the larger hits to FE.  Below are  5 bullet points to boost HV efficiency from the bloomberg article cited above.  Is 47/47/47 now in sight for the average driver? :)

I wonder if there is enough difference with these upgrades to warrant revised EPA FE numbers.  How's 49/49/49 sound. ;)

o Increasing the maximum pure electric speed to 85 mph from 62 mph, allowing increased use of electric-only mode on the highway

o Optimizing the use of Active Grille Shutters to reduce aerodynamic drag under more driving and temperature conditions including cold weather, during air conditioner use and when the engine coolant temperature is higher

o Reducing the electric fan speed as a function of coolant temperature to minimize the fan's energy consumption

o Shortening engine warm-up time by up to 50 percent to enable electric-only driving and engine shutdown at stops sooner after cold starts

o Optimizing the climate control system to minimize use of the air conditioning compressor and reduce the energy used in cold weather operation

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Looks like Ford is certainly addressing several of the larger hits to FE.  Below are  5 bullet points to boost HV efficiency from the bloomberg article cited above.  Is 47/47/47 now in sight for the average driver? :)

I heard this on the news on the way home today. I tried to find a link to the story but no luck. Thanks for posting this.

I heard this on the news on the way home today. I tried to find a link to the story but no luck. Thanks for posting this.

Do a quick search on google, it's available on several news sources now and it's posted on Ford's official page at www.at.ford.com

This can't hurt, but we are totally pleased already...we've been getting 46-49 MPG lately (on the in dash display) - we just passed the 1,000 mile mark.  No hypermiling - just prudent driving, like eco-cruise and 65-67 MPH on the highway, don't use the AC unless needed - like not for 2 mile trips - and when it is needed on longer trips, not too cold...stuff like that.  It's only a 2 liter engine propeling a 3,600+ (?) pound car, so if you try to drive it like it's a V-6, it'll perform OK, but it's going to suck the gas.

Found it RaPieR!! Thanks! I only had a few minutes to search before I took my daughter to running practice. Then I tried calling the radio station while I was driving and that got me nowhere. Glad to read the full article!!!

Better on-road mileage performance for hybrids
As its electrified vehicle market share grows, Ford also is taking action to improve the on-road fuel economy performance of 2013-model hybrid vehicles in the United States and Canada. Starting in August, the company will make calibration updates designed to improve on-road fuel economy for owners of the 2013 Ford C-MAX Hybrid, 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid and 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid. 

“We are committed to continuously improving the fuel economy of our vehicles,” said Nair. “We believe these actions will provide our customers enhanced on-road fuel economy satisfaction.”

Calibration updates to Ford hybrid vehicles include control system enhancements for a variety of driving conditions on the highway, during short trips and while using the climate control system. Enhancements designed to improve customer satisfaction include:

• Increasing the maximum pure electric speed to 85 mph from 62 mph, allowing increased use of electric-only mode on the highway
• Optimizing the use of Active Grille Shutters to reduce aerodynamic drag under more driving and temperature conditions including cold weather, during air conditioner use and when the engine coolant temperature is higher
• Reducing the electric fan speed as a function of coolant temperature to minimize the fan’s energy consumption
• Shortening engine warm-up time by up to 50 percent to enable electric-only driving and engine shutdown at stops sooner after cold starts
• Optimizing the climate control system to minimize use of the air conditioning compressor and reduce the energy used in cold weather operation

“Just as individual mileage can vary based on driving styles and environmental conditions, we expect fuel economy improvements will differ from customer to customer depending on individual driving habits,” said Nair. “Customers should see the most improvement at highway speeds, during air conditioner use and operation in colder climates.”

To address what Jus said earlier about the 85mph top speed being unsustainable for any distance;

I agree. However, I think the benefit is when going on a long shallow downhill gradient. I was annoyed going through Wisconsin when driving down hill for extended periods with the engine running for no reason other than the 62mph programming. Frustrating.

I also get annoyed that the darn engine refuses to shut off for warm-up. I realize the emission controls need to warm up and the oil needs to circulate. But, it sure seems excessive to me. Also, the AC and engine fans do run too much.

From my perspective, I would bet these changes will add up to 2 mpg for most drivers.

Matt

Edited by Recumpence

This news makes the drivetrain upgrades coupled with 3.5.1 more plausible although I didn't notice any improvements on my mileage this weekend.  I think the car is behaving differently.  It seemed harder for me to enter high ice mode but it seemed to maintain higher mpg even with lower battery levels.

Sounds good but I don't want to be first in line for that "upgrade".

I got the giggles with your comment!  I haven't had the nerve to go for the 3.5.1 upgrade yet so I won't line up for this one in a hurry either.

Edited by Laurel

This hits a lot of important bases:  Highway, warm-up, cold climate, air conditioning.  These are some of the big issues that a lot of people have voiced.  I think this is fantastic!  :yahoo:  :clapping:  :woot:

I also agree, it should bump up the FE about 2 mpg for a lot of drivers.  To think that my original goal was to be satisfied with getting 40 mpg!

Ah, if only a sudden announcement like this would come out about MFT!  :stirpot:

To address what Jus said earlier about the 85mph top speed being unsustainable for any distance;

I agree. However, I think the benefit is when going on a long shallow downhill gradient. I was annoyed going through Wisconsin when driving down hill for extended periods with the engine running for no reason other than the 62mph programming. Frustrating.

I also get annoyed that the darn engine refuses to shut off for warm-up. I realize the emission controls need to warm up and the oil needs to circulate. But, it sure seems excessive to me. Also, the AC and engine fans do run too much.

From my perspective, I would bet these changes will add up to 2 mpg for most drivers.

Matt

No doubt, I agree the shorter warm up time is better and ABOUT TIME. And the active shutter control being intelligent is also ABOUT TIME.

However....I had sometime to think about this when driving home tonight...and these are my concerns:

1. 62mph threshold seems great onb the surface but one of our tools is the ICE High MPG and we specifically use the above 65mph to charge our batteries high and put it into whatever phase mode and utilize the high battery charge - this will definitely be effected, as now we have no way to charge up the battery high unless you P&G like made, or happen to have a downhill terrain. I suspect it would be like the eco-cruise at 60mph which I do not like which is basically use the battery, drain it in 2 second, rinse and repeat - far less useful than ICE High MPG. I could be wrong...and we shall see. I just hate to think about the loss of the ICE high mpg which I do use on my freeway drives.

2. If you think about this update and IF its true - this is utterly astounding in the nature. That means Ford always had the means to break the 62mph for us regular hybrids but they kept it under with software (but spread the limit as hardware which is UTTER BS). However, to me this would be like going from XP to Windows 7, much sleeker and its all software (at this point). It will be like Toyota giving their Prius a 85mph threshold as well...UNHEARD OF and if IT is true - wow - this is evolutionary.

My 2c.

PS Who knows, with this update - my 800 could like the new 600s... :happy feet: ...spreading :love_shower:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I asked on the C Max facebook page if this would be done to my car being built on 7/18. Alan answered saying yes, as of today it is being done at the factory.

I feel lucky. Almost like getting a 2014 model. :rockon:

I have been stalking these forums, knowing we will have our car in just a few weeks. Have learned tons. Can't wait to drive it.