Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Recurrence of battery failure

• Please log in to reply
350 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Fernando, CA
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:32 PM

They have had Sterling overnight and were very generous in giving me a complimentary rental. They called last evening to say that the battery failed and was replaced. They had some other odds and ends that they are working on today. I hope to get the car back this afternoon. They gave me an F-150 as the rental, what a difference! I really want my Car back. I will update as to the full work-up when I pick the car up.

Ouch F150...thats jumping from a Stealth Fighter into a venerable DC-3 twin-propeller plane....lol...jus don't tell me u use to fly one'of'em. Good luck with it frbill....keep us up to date. Now, I am positive the new toys will be a pleasant surprise, you know what I am talking about ;)

• salsaguy likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,416 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

Jus a bad analogy... If C-Max is a stealth fighter, an F-150 is a stealth bomber - much of the same technology in a high-torque/high payload configuration.

These are the guys pulling ABS fuses and disabling wheel sensors because they can't plow snow without frying their brakes due to "safety features." Doesn't sound like a 3-blade radial, either...

HAve fun,

Frank

#23 OFFLINE   frbill

frbill

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 124 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSouthern Illinois ( St Louis, MO Metro Area)
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi SE

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

Well I have to say that after many visits to the dealer for the 12 volt system I have decided to call it quits with this C-Max. My parents still love theirs and I will keep up with things here to help them out with their C-Max. I got a Fusion Energi in the same color and basically the same equipment as my C-Max. The F-150 got 12mpg it was hard to swallow. Thankfully Enterprise didn't charge me for the gas as i only had it 18 hours. So far the Fusion beats my expectations, and the fact that there is a community charging station (FREE) behind the school I am Chaplain at makes even more sense. I will be able to stay in EV for most days. The C-Max is a great car unless you get the 12 volt problems. Even then I finished with a cumulative Lifetime MPG of 50.8 and Lifetime Brake Score of 98%. I just couldn't afford to be late or miss an obligation because my Car wouldn't start. After a dozen episodes I just had to call it quits. Still love Ford and with the Tax Credit I am coming out even in the trade.

Peace,

Father Bill

• salsaguy likes this

#24 OFFLINE   wab

wab

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 927 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Locationnorth texas
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL 303 with Glass Roof

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

Did you just do a trade?

Or did Ford buy it back?

These things are going to start showing up (probably already are) on used lots as certified and that is REALLY :stirpot: going to :stirpot: stir the pot!

#25 OFFLINE   frbill

frbill

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSouthern Illinois ( St Louis, MO Metro Area)
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi SE

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

It was a very generous trade. I only lost about 4k (the Tax Credit).

#26 OFFLINE   Megscmax

Megscmax

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNewark
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

I too am having problem after problem with battery drain in my max now on third battery. My max only has 5000 miles on and have had it 6 months. Will be consulting lawyer about Delaware lemon law. I am very upset because I love the c max but need to know I can trust it to get me where I am going. Anyone have any suggestions.

#27 OFFLINE   mrobinso8

mrobinso8

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 39 posts
  • LocationTennessee
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Hybrid

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

I guess give up for your mental health.  I am about to do that due to dead batteries in my 2013 Fusion Hybrid.  Like talking to a machine when dealing with Ford Corporate. Sound understanding but do nothing.  I have been told by the Ford District Rep that it is "Normal" to the usb drive running it down.  Wife's C-Max on only second battery and had been fine since December 12.

#28 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

C-Max Hybrid Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

My USB thumb drive and my iPod were draining my battery. The thumb drive was being pinged all the time, even

with the key off. I assume the iPod was charging during this time of module activity. I never tested it's parasitic draw.

After unplugging them, my battery has been perfect.

I tested it again yesterday after I recharged it to 100% SOC about  9 days ago. It would normally be down to 12.2 volts and 50% SOC within 4 to 5 days.  It's been over 12.6 volts and 95% SOC for the last  9 days.

I call that a fix :love_shower:

Attached File  20131016_085625.jpg   111.69KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20131025_154131.jpg   152.03KB   0 downloads

Edited by drdiesel1, 26 October 2013 - 04:35 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   Powder Puff

Powder Puff

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:38 AM

i purchasd my cmax less than a month ago.  I drive it daily in San Franciscco, very rarely get above 45 mph and only about once a week do i drive on the freeway.  After not driving for 4 days, battery went dead.  I got a strange message on display screen saying something about battery save mode.  I checked manual and did not find anything related to this.  Called Ford Roadside, got a jump and car was fine.  I brought it to Serramonte Ford Dealership where I purchased it to have them check it out.  The Service Rep was shocked that it only had 900 miles on it and asked if i drove it often.  I told him I drive it everyday in the city.  He told me I need to drive longer distances at higher speeds so I can recharge the 12v battery.  He said this is a commuter car, not really designed for city driving.  Why do they advertise city MPG if it's not a car to be driven in the city?  Has anyone gotten this same explanation?  Is this correct?  So far, I really like this car, but having the battery die with less than 1,000 miles is a bit disappointing.

#30 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

C-Max Hybrid Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:51 AM

Whoever told you that is an idiot. They have some TSB's for dead battery issue's and they need to inspect your car. They also need to properly charge your battery after it's been discharged to the point of being dead. Don't take BS from your dealers SA. Talk to the manager.

#31 OFFLINE   mtb9153

mtb9153

Brother Mike (a.k.a. mtb9153)

• 1,553 posts
  • LocationS.F. South Bay Area, Ca.
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL with 303A, with Panoramic window using GasPods on the roof, born 9/9/12

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:42 AM

Yes that Bozo doesn't know what he's talking about.  Guys full of S&*T

#32 OFFLINE   mtb9153

mtb9153

Brother Mike (a.k.a. mtb9153)

• 1,553 posts
  • LocationS.F. South Bay Area, Ca.
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL with 303A, with Panoramic window using GasPods on the roof, born 9/9/12

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:44 AM

Did you just do a trade?

Or did Ford buy it back?

These things are going to start showing up (probably already are) on used lots as certified and that is REALLY :stirpot: going to :stirpot: stir the pot!

there's one sitting on the used lot at my dealership, not sure if it was a buy back or return

#33 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,416 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

i purchasd my cmax less than a month ago....After not driving for 4 days, battery went dead.  ..., got a jump and car was fine.  I brought it to Serramonte Ford Dealership ...He told me I need to ...

Do a search in this forum for thread titles containing "TSB" and "SSM" and you'll find that one member posts these techincal service bulletin and service manual supplements as Ford puts them out. It really helps when you can ask the service advisor about a specific TSB, so he can't blow you off like that.

I'll wager this one sounds familiar; your build date is on the drivers' door jamb sticker.

http://fordcmaxhybri...s-tsb-13-04-13/

The other great resource is ETIS.

https://www.etis.ford.com/home.do

Enter your VIN under the "Vehicle" tab and you'll find out lots about your car, like any outstanding field service actions (ask/search here if you have some).

Finally, there's the Vehicle Health Report; the car can tell you if there's something the dealer should investigate. See your owners' manual for info.

And Welcome!

Frank

#34 OFFLINE   Muttonhead

Muttonhead

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 13 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL 300A

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:55 AM

May be a dumb question, but is it possible that Ford got a sh*t load of bad batteries that were installed in the first run of C -Maxes? I've had experience with new batteries that tested fine, but after having issues, were replaced, and eliminated the problem. Like I said, may be a dumb question!

#35 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

C-Max Hybrid Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:19 PM

They have TSB's for known issue's. It's been an ongoing issue. Most dealers are lame and think they can talk BS to customer to eliminate doing their job. Lazy and useless employee's are the worst.

#36 OFFLINE   JWGrayson

JWGrayson

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationGrayson, GA
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Hybrid

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

Hi, I am new to the forum and to my C-Max. I bought it 10/28/13. It was built 9/14/13. After having the car only 2 weeks I experienced the issue with the battery being dead. I called RSA and they sent out a guy to jump it. He told me to drive it for 15 to 20 minutes to change the battery, which I did. It has been fine since. I did not take it to the dealership as I blamed it on my driving habits. I am retired and I am the care giver for my elderly Mother; thus, I don't drive very much. Most of my driving consists of very short trips that are between .8 and 2.5 miles each way. My MPG suffers because of this, but I understand why. I am concerned that my driving habits will be an issue. I really like my C-Max and wish to keep it a long while.

Now that I've learned about this site and the battery issues, I'll check with the dealership so that it is recorded.

#37 OFFLINE   Laurel

Laurel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:47 PM

JWGrayson welcome to the forum.  We drive our car very little compared to most on the forum--short hops like you.  Sometimes we don't drive it for several days.  We take the odd longer trip of a few hundred kilometers when going out of town.  We have had no battery problems (knocking on wood) and I would be some peeved if I learned that our car would suffer battery issues from being used infrequently and I would be very vocal with Ford if that was the case.  Our experience is the car works fine with intermittent and little use.  Good idea that you are letting the dealership know--make sure you get something in writing that you registered your complaint and I think the only way to get that is to insist that they check out your car for the dead battery issue.  Kudos to you for caring for your elderly mom.  We did that too and it is very draining and difficult often.  Not so many people do it anymore.

• JWGrayson likes this

#38 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

C-Max Hybrid Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:55 PM

If your battery was dead and the car was jump started, you need to properly charge your battery with a battery charger.

#39 OFFLINE   JWGrayson

JWGrayson

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationGrayson, GA
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Hybrid

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:13 PM

If your battery was dead and the car was jump started, you need to properly charge your battery with a battery charger.

Hi, I assume that the C-Max Hybrid only has the Lithium-Ion battery pack, and does not have a 12-volt battery as with non-hybrids. So, when you say to charge the battery, I continue to assume that you are referring to the Li-ion one.  I'll discuss that with the service department when I head to the dealer as Laurel suggested. Thanks!

#40 OFFLINE   salman

salman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 259 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:34 PM

Hi, I assume that the C-Max Hybrid only has the Lithium-Ion battery pack, and does not have a 12-volt battery as with non-hybrids. So, when you say to charge the battery, I continue to assume that you are referring to the Li-ion one.  I'll discuss that with the service department when I head to the dealer as Laurel suggested. Thanks!

Hi

The C-Max has two batteries, a 12 volt and the Lithium battery. The 12 volt system is the one that has troubled many of us.

There are several discussion threads about the 12 volt problem in this forum. The biggest thread with the most information is in the section on Maintenance, TSBs, and Recalls. That is a long thread, but many of the messages are short and once you start reading you will pick up speed.

There have been several TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) advising service departments on how to try to handle 12 volt problems. You will find them discussed in the other threads. There are TSBs for the battery ccharging software, for the entertainment screen, for the main engine wiring harness, and also another for the Body Control Module. Some people have not had repeat symptoms after one or another of these repairs, but others have had all of the repairs and still have been hit with dead 12 volt systems. Thus it seems Ford has not yet definitively identified and solved the problem.

By learning as much as you reasonably can you will be in a better position to evaluate whether your service department is doing a good job. At the very least, let them know that you know there are several TSBs related to 12 volt problems and let them know that you know this has afflicted quite a few CMax's. Ford HQ knows it, too.

The problem is not caused by how you drive the car. If anyone at the service department tries to tell you that you should go to another service department and immediately call Ford's central Customer Care number about it.

Hope your case is one that does not happen again. You won't know until a year or two goes by without further incident. Until then, keep good records, bring the car to the dealer for service whenever it happens, and, also, if it happens again have Ford Roadside Assistance tow the car to the dealer (unless you need to drive it immediately).
  • Laurel and MomsHugs like this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·